2500 - Made in Mexico

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...common knowledge. They had to get a new 6.4L engine shipped up here for my truck and that's where it came from, right off the production line.

Praise NAFTA! ;)

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Yup...common knowledge. They had to get a new 6.4L engine shipped up here for my truck and that's where it came from, right off the production line.

Praise NAFTA! ;)

A lot of people laughted at Perott when he coined the phrase 'giant sucking sound' but it came out to be true.

RR7_905RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with audio1der

I work for a manufacturer and they make vehicles in two parts of the world and to be honest the American built seem to have more problems. :emotions33:

When you see "built in china" is when you should be worried.

OP
OP
D

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

Praise NAFTA! ;)

I didn't know that.

I haven't read about any problems with the 6.4L, so they must be doing a good job.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, my 2011 was made in Mexico.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2006 2500 cummins megacab was assembled in Mexico. I think just about all mega/crew cab and 1500 standard cab models have been assembled in Mexico for over a decade. Someone posted a "what gets built where" chart around here somewhere . I think all the Gas V8 engines are assembled in Mexico too.

By the way, both my Mexican built RAMs were flawlessly assembled. Not a defect anywhere.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
My old '05 and my '15 were both built in Saltillo. A friend of mine is a retired Mopar engineer, and he told me that when they were building HD's in St Louis(?) and Saltillo, the Saltillo trucks consistently had a lower warranty rate.

Nevertheless, as mentioned before, poor old Ross Perot was made out to be a babbling fool, but he was on the money with the giant sucking sound, AND he predicted a banking collapse, such as '08.

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My company has a plant in Mexico. The quality is actually pretty darn good out of our plant there. One of the main US plants is pretty pathetic, the mistakes out of there are dreadful. Apparently $20/hr to do unskilled assembly work isn't enough for quality workers..

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
By the way, both my Mexican built RAMs were flawlessly assembled. Not a defect anywhere.

I know the paint on my 2011 was flawless, the '15, Ive found several defects. I've read this is pretty common....sadly. :(

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
My 99 1500 club cab made in Mexico

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My company has a plant in Mexico. The quality is actually pretty darn good out of our plant there. One of the main US plants is pretty pathetic, the mistakes out of there are dreadful. Apparently $20/hr to do unskilled assembly work isn't enough for quality workers..

Yeah, most people that think of "Made in Mexico", have visions of a back alley Tijuana chop shop. Quite the contrary for the most part. Their manufacturing plants are usually more modern with top notch efficiency and automation that many of the USA and unionized plants fought against and eventually lost out to Mexico because it.

Given the repetitive quality issues warren has in terms of paint and final finish, I am glad to have my Mexico built 2500.

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have only my '01 Nissan to go by which was built in Mexico. Beating relentlessly on it since day 1, auto-crossing, some stoplight to stoplight pride defense and a couple uh, off-road excursions have done nothing to stop it; it just won't stop.
I would not consider being built in Mexico a potential issue, but a positive one.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Our vehicles have been made in other countries for awhile. If not the entire vehicle, then at least major parts have been. Ask any auto mechanic why he needs metric and standard wrenches to do his/ her job. Nothing knew here.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 04 RCSB is a product of Mexico.

Racerx26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was a wrist pin issue on a bunch of 2014s in a certain date range. Otherwise I don't think there have been any real issues with this 6.4
Do you by chance remember the date range?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk