2WD in the snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Every year I take a trip to Snowshoe, WV. Anyone that's been there knows the roads to get up the mountain to the resort aren't exactly friendly, but they do cinder the hell out of them. My question is this. How well does a 2WD do in the snow? Does the traction control in these trucks work that well? Usually I take my 2dr Wrangler there, but hate hate HATE the 6 hour drive in that thing. Yall think I'd be ok taking the truck?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
plowed maintained road, probably, with a light foot. Any fresh snow and you could be in for headaches.

Do you at least have the LSD?

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Make sure you put 300 lbs or so in the box to hold you down. It'll make a world of difference. 2wd could be a bit sporty lol

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I do have brand new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus tires on it. They have good siping.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally use 300 pounds of sand bags in the winter. Last winter drove it in several storms that had be in 4 to 6 inches of fresh snow. Did great long as you give adequate stopping distance and started with a light food. It did throw it around a bit in a parking lot just for the fun of it at one point :)

VegasDragger45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I take my 2wd up to CO every year and have never had an issue. I've never once been stuck or thought I wish I had 4x4. Tho i'm used to driving in deep snow with a 2wd. As long as you don't drive crazy you should be fine.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just be light on the gas and you should be alright if you have LSD. if you don't have LSD all i can say is have fun

if you want to check if you have LSD click here then on the left click equipment listing an enter your vin. it'll show you everything your truck came with from the factory

OP
OP
Riccochet

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure I have LSD. I can light up both wheels to do a burnout. My old F150 with an open diff only had one tire fire.

BaghRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Pretty sure I have LSD. I can light up both wheels to do a burnout. My old F150 with an open diff only had one tire fire.

LSD-check
Sandbags and salt in the bed behind rear axle-check

Does your state allow snow chains/cables?

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
2WD is a blast in the snow....When it gets ridiculous... I stay home. Have fun!

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good set of snow tires and a recovery strap is all I recommend for 2wd's in the winter. Many will say throw weight in the back, which is not a bad option at all but it is not necasarry. I ran a 2wd dakota through 3 canadian winters with no weight in the back and never really got stuck... the right tire makes all the difference.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2010 that I used in the snow all the time and had no issues in two wheel drive. It does help to add a bit of weight, but its not needed.

In the snow, the traction control actually did all right. The traction control came off when I got to ice though.

RamNSubie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd throw a few sand bags in the bed. The weight will help but so won't the sand if you get stuck.

If you have decent tires for winter and an LSD then you will be fine. I drove a 2700 lb RWD sports car around last year, snow tires and an LSD made it possible.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 4x4, and very rare I have actually had to use it. I load up my bed with snow, and then turn off the traction control, or atleast reduce the traction control's affects lol.

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 4x4, and very rare I have actually had to use it. I load up my bed with snow, and then turn off the traction control, or atleast reduce the traction control's affects lol.

Exactly! I'm very impressed with how my 2011 Quad Cab handles the snow. I've used 4wd a few times only on heavily drifted unplowed side roads. In the city I haven't had much of a problem on snow covered roads in 2wd. I leave traction control on and let it do its thing. I noticed that traction control doesn't intervene much (if any) providing you keep rpm under 1500/1600 while accelerating on snow. Going up an incline can be a bit of a slow process but holding 1500rpm will ease you right up there.

I was hesitant on not getting a Ram with the full time transfer case, as I wanted a front bench seat (full time transfer case in Ontario = front bucket seats), but I have no regrets. My last 2wd truck was a C1500 GMC Ext Cab 305 V8, and it was horrid in the snow, even trying three different tire types and different weights in the bed, I dare not venture out on unplowed roads. I'm certain GM has come a long way since then, but again, I am rather impressed by the 2wd capability with my Ram, and I don't have the LSD.