32 gallon tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dchap08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does anyone know a way to check to see if you have the 26 vs the 32 gallon fuel tank, besides running it to empty and then filling it up?
It's a 2017 big horn, and I paid extra for the 32 gallon tank. Specifically picked this one off the lot because it has the 3.92 gears and the 32 Gallon tank. Ive ran the tank down to where the dash tells me I am about out of gas and I get the low fuel warning, no more miles to empty. Never been able to cram more than about 27 gallons in. Seems to me that is a 26 gallon with a little extra in the fill tube..

Thanks.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Give your vin to the parts department at the dealer, they should be able to print you off a build sheet for free and it'll list everything on the truck.
There are some websites that do this also, but I like to get the FCA stamped build sheet for my own records anyways

https://www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/ram/index.html

Make sure you click "equipment listing" and there is a spot to enter you vin

OP
OP
D

Dchap08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My window sticker, and the equipment list both have 32 gallon. Seems weird though. Unless the low fuel thing comes on WAY early, and I really have like 5 gallons left... But I really doubt it.
I really don't want to run it completely out of gas to test, but I really want to know for sure.

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know a way to check to see if you have the 26 vs the 32 gallon fuel tank, besides running it to empty and then filling it up?
It's a 2017 big horn, and I paid extra for the 32 gallon tank. Specifically picked this one off the lot because it has the 3.92 gears and the 32 Gallon tank. Ive ran the tank down to where the dash tells me I am about out of gas and I get the low fuel warning, no more miles to empty. Never been able to cram more than about 27 gallons in. Seems to me that is a 26 gallon with a little extra in the fill tube..

Thanks.
The 24 gallon won't hold more than 22/23

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm starting to explore just how low it can go. Last night stopped when the EVIC stated 11 miles to empty and put 28.728 into her. As long as it is not scorching hot when I need remote start to cool it I am going to keep exploring the limits and then just know how many miles I have to drive before refueling.

I know I can do at least 500 miles right now.

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
Search, Search, Search! This has been discussed multiple times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 32 gallon tank has the same calibration as the smaller tank. Not a big issue for me, l just fill up at when the warning light comes on. Takes approx 27 gallons at that point.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Search, Search, Search! This has been discussed multiple times!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guess what, until RAM fixes it there will by many more posts.

This may not seem like a big problem but it was very unwise on RAM's part to let this go on for so long. We pay a lot of money for these trucks and even more for the larger tank and want to take advantage of it without guessing or having the remote start disabled.

On Tuesday I am taking mine in for the first oil change and will be taking the Star bulletin with me in regards to the flash update. Hopefully mine will be fixed.....

I intend to stay on this and will happily chime in anytime a newbie makes a post about this situation. Instead of just being a forum cop you could have searched and linked to particular discussions which already exist.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guess what, until RAM fixes it there will by many more posts.

This may not seem like a big problem but it was very unwise on RAM's part to let this go on for so long. We pay a lot of money for these trucks and even more for the larger tank and want to take advantage of it without guessing or having the remote start disabled.

On Tuesday I am taking mine in for the first oil change and will be taking the Star bulletin with me in regards to the flash update. Hopefully mine will be fixed.....

I intend to stay on this and will happily chime in anytime a newbie makes a post about this situation. Instead of just being a forum cop you could have searched and linked to particular discussions which already exist.

Let me know how it goes, I want to get mine fixed as well but if I don't hold the dealers hand to get them to do it, it won't get done.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting...

I have the 121 litres tank (32 gallons) but when I run til the light comes on I can only fill 100 litres... Now, that's 20 litres left from the time the light turns on, which makes sense to me. I've never had a vehicle show the low fuel light right when you're sputtering on fumes...

My last truck, a Nissan Frontier, had an 80L tank and the light would come on at 70L. My Mazda 3 had a 60L tank, light came on at 45L....

They all give you that safety margin so you have enough gas to make it to a gas station. I honestly don't see the issue here. My average fuel economy is 15L/100km, so with that 20 litres of fuel left, I can go roughly 125km.

Last edited:

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's interesting...

I have the 121 litres tank (32 gallons) but when I run til the light comes on I can only fill 100 litres... Now, that's 20 litres left from the time the light turns on, which makes sense to me. I've never had a vehicle show the low fuel light right when you're sputtering on fumes...

My last truck, a Nissan Frontier, had an 80L tank and the light would come on at 70L. My Mazda 3 had a 60L tank, light came on at 45L....

They all give you that safety margin so you have enough gas to make it to a gas station. I honestly don't see the issue here. My average fuel economy is 15L/100km, so with that 20 litres of fuel left, I can go roughly 125km.

I can run mine till the light comes on, till it goes through the mileage left to empty, awhile on fuel low instead of showing miles to empty and then maybe get 100 litres in it. The light coming on with 20 litres left and doing the countdown from there I would say is reasonable, not the way it is now.

David_fr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

my vin decode says :
NFWS : 26 Gallon Fuel Tank

Optional Equipment :
YGVA : 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas

So, what does it mean ? What is this optional 4,5 Gallons ?

Many thanks.
David

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi,

my vin decode says :
NFWS : 26 Gallon Fuel Tank

Optional Equipment :
YGVA : 4.5 Additional Gallons of Gas

So, what does it mean ? What is this optional 4,5 Gallons ?

Many thanks.
David

The 4.5 gallons of gas is the actual gas they put IN the tank before delivering it to the dealer. Dealers typically will fill the tank as a service before sale. You have the 26 gallon tank.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
My 2013 outdoorsman has the 32, when fuel light comes on, I can put in 26-27 gallons. You can go to Ram site and download window sticker and every option your truck has.

Wildfyre116

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 V8
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 outdoorsman has the 32, when fuel light comes on, I can put in 26-27 gallons. You can go to Ram site and download window sticker and every option your truck has.

This is how I remembered that I had the 32 gallon tank on mine. Like everyone is saying here, my light comes on way before 32 gallons is used...and whenever I'd fill up, I'd only fill low or mid 20s. Had me thinking my memory of a 32 gallon was wrong -- until I downloaded that window sticker from mopar!