32 gallon tank??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get really bad mileage ATM, I just got my speedo calibrated today, ( after that fillup ), but I was averaging about 11.6MPG. with that said, I wanted to see how much reserve I had. From the time the light came on until the time I got gas, was about 80 miles, once the truck started saying " low fuel ", I had gone another 44 miles. That's when I got gas.

I'm doing about 80 miles a day, EVIC says between 19 and 20mpg. (5.7 Hemi 3.21 gear)

I was reading this post as I was fueling, so first time I took notice of the amount in gallons of fuel I was putting in, was surprised at it only taking 22gallons as it was showing only 8 miles left.

Quint

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7L v8 eTorque
If you search, I posted a picture maybe a year ago on here where I filled up about 31.8 or 31.9 gallons and posted the pic. Miles to empty are for the regular size tank. They don't change the estimate when they put in the optional 32 gallon tank. Just know what kind of mileage you're getting and estimate how many more miles 6 gallons of gas will get you. I usually assume at 15mpg I'll get 90 miles if needed, more if I'm nice on the throttle.

OP
OP
S

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
so was I, until yesterday. You need to get it calibrated. You're losing MPG, and you're losing proper shift points. I was only off by about 3 - 5 ( depending on speed ), but once fixed, the truck is completely different now.

What did you use?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After 3 pages of all this, I just decided to stop and fill up when the gauge said about 1/4. This seems like the simplest solution instead of all the mental gymnastics y'all are going through. The longer you wait the more it's going to cost you to fill up---the KISS theory applies!!!!
Jay

hbfieldii

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After 3 pages of all this, I just decided to stop and fill up when the gauge said about 1/4. This seems like the simplest solution instead of all the mental gymnastics y'all are going through. The longer you wait the more it's going to cost you to fill up---the KISS theory applies!!!!

Jay

Yeah I usually do my best to stay above half a tank lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trexterra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just filled 25 gallons for the first time. Didn't even have a low fuel warning. Nice to have such a big tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I didn't even know I had the 32 gal tank on mine until I pulled the build sheet....2011 bought used. Happy to have it. I usually fill up around a half tank or a little under so I've never come close to a full fill up to find out capacity.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
It's been posted a few times that Ram builds in a 6 gallon reserve for cooling of the fuel pump, which is submerged in the fuel tank. Running the tank down too much could cause overheating of the pump.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From the 2013 Owners Manual, I'm assuming its similar for ll Gen 4s...

• Low Fuel Telltale
When the fuel level reaches approximately 3.0 gal
(11.0 L) this light will turn on, and remain on until fuel is added

OP
OP
S

Synolimit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's been posted a few times that Ram builds in a 6 gallon reserve for cooling of the fuel pump, which is submerged in the fuel tank. Running the tank down too much could cause overheating of the pump.

Never saw a newer vehical that has hang down pump anymore. Do we really? Tanks now a days have a 1/4q surge tank that the pump sits in. Even down to a drop in the tank, the surge still has fuel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 100

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Never saw a newer vehical that has hang down pump anymore. Do we really? Tanks now a days have a 1/4q surge tank that the pump sits in. Even down to a drop in the tank, the surge still has fuel.

Looks right if I recall correctly.

Shark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
If you search, I posted a picture maybe a year ago on here where I filled up about 31.8 or 31.9 gallons and posted the pic. Miles to empty are for the regular size tank. They don't change the estimate when they put in the optional 32 gallon tank. Just know what kind of mileage you're getting and estimate how many more miles 6 gallons of gas will get you. I usually assume at 15mpg I'll get 90 miles if needed, more if I'm nice on the throttle.

Is there a link or any official word on not changing the estimate for the 32g tank? I just filled up with 0 miles on the estimate and was able to squeeze in 27 gallons.

insanitize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove my 2012 till the DTE changed to Low Fuel (never saw that one before) and it took a little over 29 gallons. The most I've ever put in it.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Whats the real numbers??? I swear this things gone dry. I can only add 25-27 gallons back! No way i stay on E for 5-7 gallons. Fuel gauge reads as low as 20-30 miles to empty.

This has come up on these forums quite a few times.
I can only tell you what I experience with my truck, which has the 121L (32 gallon) tank.

The low fuel light comes on when I have about 23L (6 gallons) remaining in the tank, but the needle is not showing empty at that point in time. It's at about 1/8th of a tank.

I can drive for about another 125km (80 miles) according to the EVIC before I run out of fuel once that light comes on. Not that I would trust it enough to test it out.

One time I accidentally let the fuel get low enough that I ended up putting in about 119L (31.5 gallons). So these tanks will most definitely take the amount of fuel their rated for.

With all this said, I don't understand why people try to push it so long without refueling.
I rarely let my tank get below about 3/8th if I can help it. Easier on the pump, and less chance of picking up any junk that may have settled at the bottom of the tank.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The gas idiot light kind of bugs me, on my example it goes of when I can top it off with 26 gallons or at 20% of fuel capacity.

I wish FCA would flash this to 10%.

I would not mind driving around with the light on for a day or two but in this Florida heat I need my remote start for the A/C.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
26 gallon tank. Once the low fuel light comes on it will take 24 gallons.