32 gallon tank??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know that this has been a topic of discussion for the last couple of years. I have had 3 4th Gen trucks and all have had the 32 gallon tank. The way I solved the problem is simple----when the gauge was at about a quarter of a tank I took 5 minutes to stop and fill the tank. That was a lot easier than trying to squeeze every drop of gas out of the tank wondering how much further I could go.
Jay

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had forgotten I had found this a while ago... It looks like they were thinking about fixing the issue.....

TankGallons.jpg

Not sure why it took them so long to realize that there was an issue. I figured it out after a month of having my truck. IT'S DEFINITELY NOT A FUEL RESERVE to stop people from running out of gas.

The 32 gallon is a factory 'upgraded' option. This mean they just install a 32 gallon tank (hardware) instead of the 26 gallon, everything else remain the same (float, pump, etc). The 32 and 26 gallon tank is the same height, but the 32 gallon tank is longer which give us the extra 6 gallon capacity. The float is what measure and display how much fuel is in the tank. The problem is the float will be at the same spot on both tanks, however it doesn't know that there's extra volume with the extra length, there forth giving false readouts.

The easiest solution to rectify the issue would be to modify or write a new code to flash the system to account for extra capacity for people that have a 32 gallon tank.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
26 gallon tank. Once the low fuel light comes on it will take 24 gallons.

Which is just under 8% of capacity.

Why such a worry o meter on the 32 gallon:bawl:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I know that this has been a topic of discussion for the last couple of years. I have had 3 4th Gen trucks and all have had the 32 gallon tank. The way I solved the problem is simple----when the gauge was at about a quarter of a tank I took 5 minutes to stop and fill the tank. That was a lot easier than trying to squeeze every drop of gas out of the tank wondering how much further I could go.
Jay

Then why even have the larger, optional tank. I use my trip meter instead of the gas gauge, I know I can get at least 500 miles per tank and that is with about four gallons left in the tank.

We all paid for the optional larger tank and FCA should remedy this.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the larger tank because we travel frequently and it allows me to stop less often. I would not hold my breath waiting for a fix as the problem has existed for at least 4-5 years that I am aware of and on this forum at least, generated pages and pages of discussion. I applaud you in your efforts to get this defect resolved.
Jay

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 2006 Dmax had a similar annoyance but I figured out one day by accident that there was a setting in the DIC for "fuel used". Super handy little piece of information. It was VERY accurate. Always within 1/10 of a gallon when I filled up. Bad news was it only had a 26 gallon tank. Good news was I could use it all and know right where I was at. Kind of sad with all "techie" crap on these new trucks that we can't even get 10 year old technology.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A member on the other forum said that the fix was out and that his truck was reflashed at the dealer for the fix.

I'm trying to find out the information on it from him so I can give it to my dealer since they're useless.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
No wonder full fill ups are $75+

Haha I wish they were only $75.
With our gas prices up here my fill ups are starting to eat into my beer money!

Put about 100L (26.5 gallons) in last week. Cost me $130.
That was premium, but still. Ridiculous.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha I wish they were only $75.
With our gas prices up here my fill ups are starting to eat into my beer money!

Put about 100L (26.5 gallons) in last week. Cost me $130.
That was premium, but still. Ridiculous.

Could be worse, you could live in Vancouver like I do lol. $1.359 for regular. :crazy:

UPNO4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie , 2023 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8spd, 6.7 CTD
My Avg fillups are around 25-27 gallons. Never really hurt my feelings to be honest. Misjudged pulling a heavy load once was happy to have the extra but still only took 29.8 gal to fill back up.