36k Warranty - Just took her in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took in my truck at 35980 for a loose console lid, and a sticking parking brake. Anything else I should have them look for?

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HAHA cutting that 36k mile warranty right down to the last miles! Smart move.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Now i DO NOT agree in any way with what my friend did, nor do i think it was a smart idea... but its kind of a funny story, and its about warrantys ending soon... so here we go. My friend had an srt4 way back in 2006 and i forget what the exact mileage was but whatever it was, let's say 60k miles, he was having issues with his transmission and clutch and gears. So he had about 50 miles left on his warranty and they wouldn't fix anything they said it wasn't broken and not causing issues. They reset and cleared his ecu and told him to drive 100 miles and see what shows up on the cars ecu. So he left the dealer, got the car up to 70-80mph and downshifted to 2nd and it ended up exploding the transmission and the engine at the same time. He also ended up cracking a rim because he lost control and crashed.

Anyways he had it towed to the dealer and told them he was driving it and when he shifted to 4th, out of nowhere the transmission locked and he lost control and crashed. The car had somewhere between 10-20 miles left on the warranty. He had to really fight it out with dodge but eventually they fixed it all for him lol.

He is a moron for doing what he did but in his defense Dodge should have fixed the trans, as they were major issues in the srt4s and if they would have fixed what they should have to begin with he wouldn't have had to do what he did.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I laugh at posts like this. like a dealership will do an inspection of your truck to see what they can waste their time on and fix. dealers/mechanics hate hate hate warranty work. if your lucky they may complimentary do a very brief look over, but thats is.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now i DO NOT agree in any way with what my friend did, nor do i think it was a smart idea... but its kind of a funny story, and its about warrantys ending soon... so here we go. My friend had an srt4 way back in 2006 and i forget what the exact mileage was but whatever it was, let's say 60k miles, he was having issues with his transmission and clutch and gears. So he had about 50 miles left on his warranty and they wouldn't fix anything they said it wasn't broken and not causing issues. They reset and cleared his ecu and told him to drive 100 miles and see what shows up on the cars ecu. So he left the dealer, got the car up to 70-80mph and downshifted to 2nd and it ended up exploding the transmission and the engine at the same time. He also ended up cracking a rim because he lost control and crashed.

Anyways he had it towed to the dealer and told them he was driving it and when he shifted to 4th, out of nowhere the transmission locked and he lost control and crashed. The car had somewhere between 10-20 miles left on the warranty. He had to really fight it out with dodge but eventually they fixed it all for him lol.

He is a moron for doing what he did but in his defense Dodge should have fixed the trans, as they were major issues in the srt4s and if they would have fixed what they should have to begin with he wouldn't have had to do what he did.

Yeah your right. Your friend is a total **** and could of killed or injured people as a result of his actions

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah your right. Your friend is a total **** and could of killed someone as a result of his actions

I totally agree 100%. I haven't talked to the guy since 2009. But Dodge should have done the warranty and not tried to **** the guy.

I posted that story to show that dodge just doesn't care about warranty work. I remember driving in his car and how bad the gears were and how loud they would whine and you could never get it into gear properly. I don't know if they ever did a recall but I remember everyone who owned srt4s complaining about how bad the trans were.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I laugh at posts like this. like a dealership will do an inspection of your truck to see what they can waste their time on and fix. dealers/mechanics hate hate hate warranty work. if your lucky they may complimentary do a very brief look over, but thats is.

I agree with you. More knowing that your close to that point of the warranty expiring good luck with everything, don't be dissapointed when you don't get what your expecting out of them.

WillO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I totally agree 100%. I haven't talked to the guy since 2009. But Dodge should have done the warranty and not tried to **** the guy.

I posted that story to show that dodge just doesn't care about warranty work. I remember driving in his car and how bad the gears were and how loud they would whine and you could never get it into gear properly. I don't know if they ever did a recall but I remember everyone who owned srt4s complaining about how bad the trans were.

No i get it. Truth is most don't care about warranty work, especially when your so close to the end of it.

They would rather Palm you off and have you come back out of warranty and then they can bill you

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned numerous Jeeps and other Chrysler products. My family has a long history with them.

EVERY single time I've ever taken any vehicle in and dropped it off they ALWAYS call me 2 days later and say their techs couldn't reproduce the problem. I then come back, clearly and easily show the problem. Wait 2 days and get another call saying it's working as designed. Any warranty issue is going to fought tooth and nail. This is numerous dealerships in 3 states for the record so it's company wide.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've owned numerous Jeeps and other Chrysler products. My family has a long history with them.

EVERY single time I've ever taken any vehicle in and dropped it off they ALWAYS call me 2 days later and say their techs couldn't reproduce the problem. I then come back, clearly and easily show the problem. Wait 2 days and get another call saying it's working as designed. Any warranty issue is going to fought tooth and nail. This is numerous dealerships in 3 states for the record so it's company wide.

It's not just chrysler either.

I had a 2008 silverado, and the G80 locking rear diff was giving me problems. This truck has 27000 miles on it, and was covered under not only the original factory 36k/36mo bumper to bumper, but also under the certified vehicle program.

The rear literally locked up on me so bad, I had to rev the engine and drag one tire just to back up into my driveway, then once it got straight, it popped and started working again.

After that, when I backed my boat up into the side yard, I had to make a slight turn, and every time, the traction control light would come on, and the right rear tire would spin, and you could hear a clicking noise coming form the rear axle.

They told me it was working as designed, since it is not designed to work in reverse. I don't think they ever even popped the rear diff cover to look at it.

After 9 months of fighting them, even had the engineers agree with me from the nationwide help center, but the dealer always told them it was working fine, so I traded it in (it had many other much smaller issues that they didn't want to fix too, like rear doors that fill with water during a hard rain, but this was the worst).

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I had a 2008 silverado, and the G80 locking rear diff was giving me problems. This truck has 27000 miles on it, and was covered under not only the original factory 36k/36mo bumper to bumper, but also under the certified vehicle program.

The rear literally locked up on me so bad, I had to rev the engine and drag one tire just to back up into my driveway, then once it got straight, it popped and started working again.

After that, when I backed my boat up into the side yard, I had to make a slight turn, and every time, the traction control light would come on, and the right rear tire would spin, and you could hear a clicking noise coming form the rear axle.

They told me it was working as designed, since it is not designed to work in reverse. I don't think they ever even popped the rear diff cover to look at it.

After 9 months of fighting them, even had the engineers agree with me from the nationwide help center, but the dealer always told them it was working fine, so I traded it in (it had many other much smaller issues that they didn't want to fix too, like rear doors that fill with water during a hard rain, but this was the worst).

Sounds like you had a ****** dealer. I loved hhe g80. I had plenty of them.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes all consumers of any brand mad is that "mechanics" are NOT mechanics like they use to be. They are glorified parts changers. If the computer cant tell them exactly what to fix then the customer is SOL.

Back when i had my '11 durango I had a CEL come on. it took the dealer over a week to figure out what was the correct part to change in the trans. It was ll because the code it threw was only a general trans code and not something specific.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you had a ****** dealer. I loved hhe g80. I had plenty of them.

Well, none of the dealers around here (I checked with over a dozen) would diagnose it any differently.

Seems the guy at the dealer I was at trained all the other dealers guys.....

This same service manager tried to tell me the constant brake squeal I got just before stopping was normal due to the pads heating up. I told him I had a 79 dodge on 40" tires with stock brakes, and they got real hot and never squealed. It was also a known problem...as were 90% of the issues I had with that truck, but they acted as if they never heard of them until I gave then the TSB #'s.

I even offered to pay for all labor & parts if they took the rear end apart and didn't find anything wrong. They refused.

OP
OP
L

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What makes all consumers of any brand mad is that "mechanics" are NOT mechanics like they use to be. They are glorified parts changers. If the computer cant tell them exactly what to fix then the customer is SOL.

Back when i had my '11 durango I had a CEL come on. it took the dealer over a week to figure out what was the correct part to change in the trans. It was ll because the code it threw was only a general trans code and not something specific.

That being said, I cringe at having to take my truck to the dealer. I do all my own work down to brakes and suspension. I hate the idea of some guy hurrying to get on his break doing something half-ass to just get it done.

I had a sticking parking brake (corrosion), but at the very least a "that's covered' sloppy console lid.

From my understanding, dealerships somewhat like warranty work, because they get to charge the dealership. But I don't know.

Regardless, they said they'd do a 27 point inspection (******** inspection probably) and fix the console. They'd call me back on the parking brake.

We'll see how it goes.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be scared to do that close to end of warranty for work. Why you ask, simple. Possibility of other issues arising from their attempts to fix things under warranty. Lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'd be scared to do that close to end of warranty for work. Why you ask, simple. Possibility of other issues arising from their attempts to fix things under warranty. Lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Nice cup holder, was that a option. Lol

Neumie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8a
Lol

lol, I owned the same truck! I would let 5 gallons of water run out of the back doors after a hard rain by popping off the rubber trim! Same on the rear diff...

Last edited: