3.0 Eco diesel Yay or Nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so what is the thing I have read about the 3.0 having a lot of mechanical problems? I know EPA problems have pulled it from the assembly line, but I mean real world exceptional mechanical problems that owners are finding... one mechanic I know has been bad mouthing them... is he for real with accurate info? I was thinking a 3.0 might be in my future...

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The EcoDiesel is a hero or a zero engine. Unfortunately there is no way to know, or no way to keep the engine failures from happening if you get a bad one. One man who pulls campers has over 300,000 miles without any problems, yet many others have complete engine failures with very low mileage. I can say I bought a new 2016 and the time I owned it, it was incredible. I got scared after seeing all the engine failures, and got rid of mine. While it was a great truck, that sick feeling in the back of your mind wondering when, or if it was going to happen to you was more then I cared to have considering the enormous amount of engine failures these motors are having. Hope this helps.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I had one, and honestly, it is a very nice set up. The Hemi is way more powerful, but the drive-ability with the eco is really quite good. It tows well, and the fuel economy is stellar for a 6000 pound truck. I never got less than 22 in town, and got a personal best of 31 on the hwy.

That being said, with all of the engine failures they were experiencing, I got nervous and traded out for a Cummins. Now that I no longer tow anything, I'm in a Hemi. I would imagine that they have corrected most of the early release issues the eco had now that it is back for 2018.

I would consider one again if those issues have been fixed, but honestly, I am really enjoying the Hemi power. Besides, most of my driving is short distance city runs, and the new emission diesels hate that kind of driving. I would be setting myself up for emission check engine light misery.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm with others who have said that I wouldn't own a new diesel due to all the emissions crap killing them. DPF filter, EGR, DEF systems, etc.

The company I work for has Cummins engines in our Thomas buses, and three out of seven have had the DEF systems upgraded since we've had them. The whole entire system. Around 3K worth of work. The buses are only 2014 models.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's wrong with your truck?

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just recently bought a 2015 Eco diesel and so far I love it!!! I have read about the engine failures and I still have a lot of warranty left as it only has 11,000 miles on it. I am coming from 25 years of owning Cummins diesels but just do not tow anything heavy anymore but love diesels so this scratched the itch!!! Time will tell if it is a bad decision or not but right now I am loving it and enjoying the fuel mileage!!

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had one, and honestly, it is a very nice set up. The Hemi is way more powerful, but the drive-ability with the eco is really quite good. It tows well, and the fuel economy is stellar for a 6000 pound truck. I never got less than 22 in town, and got a personal best of 31 on the hwy.

That being said, with all of the engine failures they were experiencing, I got nervous and traded out for a Cummins. Now that I no longer tow anything, I'm in a Hemi. I would imagine that they have corrected most of the early release issues the eco had now that it is back for 2018.

I would consider one again if those issues have been fixed, but honestly, I am really enjoying the Hemi power. Besides, most of my driving is short distance city runs, and the new emission diesels hate that kind of driving. I would be setting myself up for emission check engine light misery.

I did the exact same thing minus the cummins. Went from eco to hemi. Love them both for their own reasons.. cant go wrong with either, I just really missed the sound and power of a v8.

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thx all for the replies... will keep an eye out for a good used ECO diesel

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I drive a 2016 EcoDiesel. I bought it in Feb of last year and have already put 57k on it. I travel a lot with work. I love mine. No issues at all, and fuel economy is far greater than any other truck owner know.

I have a co-worker that had a 2015 that he just got rid of 2 months ago. He had 60k on his and for the last few months had major electric issues that the dealership couldn't figure out. Long story short, it shut off on him twice in the middle of a highway, and the last/final time, it lost almost all power; had him driving at 35mph with pedal on the floor. None of these were engine problems however. Each occasion, the dealership blamed a sensor or regulator. Ultimately, he lost patience with their inability to fix the issue, and traded in for an F-150.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thx all for the replies... will keep an eye out for a good used ECO diesel

Imho, bad idea. I would worry about oil changes and if the proper spec of oil was used as there was a change made. There was confusion among owners and dealers as which weight to use.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a '16 that I bought in December. I'm at 30k miles at the moment and have had zero issues to date. I have the 3.92 rear end and average 22-26 mpg per tank. I like my truck and if I have to get rid of it, I would look for another 1/2 ton diesel.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I owned a 2015 Ecodiesel and put about 16k miles on it. The fuel economy was phenomenal at 25.5 mpg average. I had zero issues with it, and adding DEF at the first (and my only) oil change was a non-issue. My only reasons for trading it in for a hemi were the unknowns. I want my vehicles to be reliable. I mean, everyone wants that. But I've read too many stories about owners experiencing engine failures with no notice, on an engine that had previously showed zero signs of a problem. Another unknown was the EPA lawsuit, and what was going to happen with that. The final unknown was how the truck had been treated for the first 8k miles of it's life, before I bought it. As much as I loved that truck, I had the best nights sleep in a long time the night I traded that truck in.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I love mine! Amazing fuel mileage, tows great, sounds good, and actually moves decent for a small diesel!

That being said I don't like the payload, mine is 950 lbs. Yes under 1000 lbs. Pathetic.) I also wish it was rated to tow a bit more.

If I were to buy a new truck tomorrow it would be a 2017 F-250 6.7L Platinum. I could tow anything I want, they're MUCH nicer inside, (Sorry Ram but it's true.) And more payload.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

electrickone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L V6
I currently own a Titan XD Lemon, and they are having major issues. Search on Facebook (search Nissan Titan XD, several groups will appear including the lemon owners club). Nissan has major issues, and are not taking care of them either. (Loud engine roaring at hwy speeds, transmission shifting issues, parts falling off from the factory, radio issues, alignment issues, front end issues, and wiring harness failures, just to round out the greatest hits. Lemon laywer told me, if you want a new car or truck, research it, if it has known issues, avoid that model, even good makers will not take care of major flaws (great example is the Ford Fiesta transmission failures all over the planet, Ford is fixing to eat a class action suit, instead of doing the right thing, Nissan will follow close with the titans not being fixed.

Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread so this may have been mentioned. Have you looked at the Nisan with the Cummins? I've been hearing/reading some good stuff about it.

5.0L Cummins Vs 3.0L EcoDiesel Head To Head Comparison

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mike A

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco-diesel
I own a 2016 Eco-diesel and loved it until three weeks ago when i got a "service throttle control" warning and truck went into limp mode.

The dealer told me they tested the fuel and it was contaminated. (BS)
They also told me i should change the filter at 20,000 and use a fuel additive.( i believe the owners manual additives are not necessary )
I informed them i had changed my filter at 10,000 miles and was using an additive that another dodge dealer recommended.

So i changed the filter BEFORE recommended and used fuel treatment and my truck has still been sitting for 3 weeks waiting for parts.

If you ask me i will probably never buy another dodge product.