4 wheel drive question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse my ignorance when it comes to 4 wheel drive. I put it in 4 wheel drive in snow when it is slippery and it is messed up when you turn the wheel when in drive or reverse. Something must be wrong, right?

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normal. If your truck meets a surface that's not slippery when in 4WD it will bind up (a.k.a axle binding) when turning the wheel, the tighter the turn the more it will bind. In those situations make wider turns or take it out of 4WD.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats a normal design. The front and rear wheels are (locked together) and have to maintain the same speed. When you turn the wheel, this makes the fronts run faster than the rears as they are covering my ground in a turn. This is bad because the transfer case is physically locked together where the front and rear output shafts have to spin the same speed. So the weakest point wins which in most cases is tire traction.

This is why in the manual it states not to use 4x4 lock on pavement or high traction surfaces. Ice, Snow, Sand, these allow the tires to slip when turning not applying all the force back into the driveline.

I assume you dont have 4x4 Auto on your truck.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think this post is the exact reason they made the case with the auto 4wd. People that never had a 4wd would think there is something wrong with it. That's how or works with a transfer case without auto 4wd.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have 4wd auto you can leave that one on "full time" where if you have 4wd lock as well you only want to use that in truly slippery conditions (snow, mud and ice, not rain).

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in 2000 I got my first RAM and on the way home from work I started to spin going up a snowy hill. I reached down, grabbed that 4WD lever and tried to put it in 4WD only to be shocked by resistance and grinding. My buddy said, 'hey meat head, let off the gas first'. Live and learn :happy107:

OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have auto and this was not on a dry or gripping surface. There is snow on the ground when I was turning and it is almost like you are gripping and not gripping off and on even though it was a slippery surface only. If you can'y turn the wheel in 4 wheel drive when you are on a slippery surface, what good is it.

So 4 wheel can only be used in a straight line, even when it is slippery?

What do off roaders do? only use 4 wheel drive when they are in mud? Can their vehicles rock climb without gear reduction?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 4 wheel lock(high) and 4 wheel low only no auto. That was on higher up models

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perfectly normal. It's best to go easy on the throttle and not to go full lock on the steering wheel when in 4wd, but you can definitely steer.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can turn in 4wd but you must be on loose surface. Snow covered asphalt is not a loose surface. If you are going up a hill on road and start to lose grip you can put in 4wd but if there are hard corners you will have binding. It is not recommended at highway speeds because gradual curves might not seem that bad but they will tear up your transfer case in a hurry.

Mud is a super slippery surface so the tires can spin faster without issues.

OP
OP
Irrivirsible

Irrivirsible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already mentioned, excuse my ignorance. I never realized that it has a binding effect in snow too. Last time I will buy part time 4 wheel drive.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
part time 4wd has a huge advantage in terms of traction over my full time setup. Mine even in 4lock does not lock the front and rear together. Making some situations more difficult than they need to be.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As already mentioned, excuse my ignorance. I never realized that it has a binding effect in snow too. Last time I will buy part time 4 wheel drive.

Unless you are experiencing something worst than normal binding, it shouldn't be anything so terrible that you would refuse to buy another. I use 4x4 on snow covered roads and have no problem turning unless I try to make a super tight turn. Just give yourself more room and make wider turns and you should never have an issue with serious binding.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can turn in 4wd but you must be on loose surface. Snow covered asphalt is not a loose surface. If you are going up a hill on road and start to lose grip you can put in 4wd but if there are hard corners you will have binding. It is not recommended at highway speeds because gradual curves might not seem that bad but they will tear up your transfer case in a hurry.

Mud is a super slippery surface so the tires can spin faster without issues.

People have been running part time locked 4x4 transfer cases on snow covered roads for decades and don't have issues. As long as there is a bit of snow on the road there will be enough slip to not cause damage.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Excuse my ignorance when it comes to 4 wheel drive. I put it in 4 wheel drive in snow when it is slippery and it is messed up when you turn the wheel when in drive or reverse. Something must be wrong, right?
If you were in 4X4 Low, this situation will happen when trying to drive/turn on just snow covered pavement.
I have no problems with my Outdoorsman (has the same transfer case as yours) turning while driving even on dirt roads in 4X4 Hi, even with the LSD rear end.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If its a real problem for you next time get one with 4 wheel auto or a vehicle with all wheel drive, we had a Durango with AWD and currently have a Journey with AWD and it is really good in snow. You will get a feel for the 4x4 eventually though. If it starts jerking, turn the wheel back until it stops. If it does it when turning even a little, the surface isn't slippery enough to need 4 wheel drive. You will be able to judge the surface better the more you use it.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not have auto and this was not on a dry or gripping surface. There is snow on the ground when I was turning and it is almost like you are gripping and not gripping off and on even though it was a slippery surface only. If you can'y turn the wheel in 4 wheel drive when you are on a slippery surface, what good is it.

So 4 wheel can only be used in a straight line, even when it is slippery?

What do off roaders do? only use 4 wheel drive when they are in mud? Can their vehicles rock climb without gear reduction?

When we're off-road or in mud / gravel the wheels can spin. That's like asking how come it's easier to do a burnout on ice than cement... if the wheels can spin the speed of the locked axles does not
Matter, because the tires can break free. You can't use 4wd on cement because the tires cant break free thus they hop / bounce / grind. You're killing your tcase if you continue to do it, and that's the important part you need to understand. One you go on slippery ground you no longer have the resistance of the rubber on concrete , hence why we use 4wd off-road.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The damn thing isn't made of porcelain! A little binding isn't going to send shrapnel through the floor. Doing 4wd burnouts on asphalt on the other hand... maybe you need a Subaru.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The damn thing isn't made of porcelain! A little binding isn't going to send shrapnel through the floor. Doing 4wd burnouts on asphalt on the other hand... maybe you need a Subaru.

While correct, had he not asked , and continued to do so clearly thinking he should be able to, he can in fact break the case. Its better to be over protective from a help standpoint than to be under protective and lead him on to believe its okay, correct ?