4wd engage just because?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many of you engage your 4wd just to keep it exercised? Being I live in Georgia and thecroads are always clear, I was wondering if I should engage the 4wd monthly or so just to keep it in good working order......or doesnt it matter?

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I engage it semi regularly ... just because.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Helps keep the moving parts from sticking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was always taught to do this on a regular basis. it keeps all the moving parts lubricated and exercised. I usually pop mine into 4lock when I hit the gravel road at our property and sometimes if I have extra time, I will take it to 4 low and drive it a short distance. Makes me feel good about it at least.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i did almost 200 kilometers in 4 hi along forest service and secondary dirt/gravel roads while exploring yesterday.i also put it in 4 hi a couple times a month when it's wet and raining just to "exercise" 4 wheel drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I probably should do this. I have only 1200 mi on my left over 2016. It may have never been engaged.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I engage the 4 WD auto in heavy rain just to keep all parts lubed. No idea if this is needed or not.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I engage the 4 WD auto in heavy rain just to keep all parts lubed. No idea if this is needed or not.

I have to wonder, with the 44-44 "Auto".....

If there is no slippage, and it doesn't actually engage, is anything happening in there or is it just like you had left it in 2wd?

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My summer home has a long incline driveway and I engage 4x4 each time I drive it, sometimes in reverse and other times in drive. 4 wheel lock not auto and the tires do break away to sense slippage.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For years have always engaged 4wd when it rains just so it gets some use outside of the winter months. Not sure how much that needs to be done today, but still keep up the practice anyway.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you guys have the bw 44-44 , engaging 4wd does absolutely nothing for you, it's a wet cluctch... so, unless you're USING it, it's not even moving / mounting the plates. The only real way to " keep it moving " is to ensure you're putting it in 4LO every once in a while, this is gear modification and is chain driven, while it won't assist with your 4wd system, it will ensure that should you ever want to use a lower gear in the future, you'll have it, it's about as close as you can get to " keeping things lubed " without actually using 4WD , I.E , spinning your rear tires for your fronts to engage, it will keep it all nice and lubed. The best way to keep things working, is to actually use it. Just clicking the button does nothing, sorry :(

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to wonder, with the 44-44 "Auto".....

If there is no slippage, and it doesn't actually engage, is anything happening in there or is it just like you had left it in 2wd?

When going home I travel up a hill that runs parallel to a ski slope, pretty sure it engages on certain parts. Without it my wheels spin.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you guys have the bw 44-44 , engaging 4wd does absolutely nothing for you, it's a wet cluctch... so, unless you're USING it, it's not even moving / mounting the plates. The only real way to " keep it moving " is to ensure you're putting it in 4LO every once in a while, this is gear modification and is chain driven, while it won't assist with your 4wd system, it will ensure that should you ever want to use a lower gear in the future, you'll have it, it's about as close as you can get to " keeping things lubed " without actually using 4WD , I.E , spinning your rear tires for your fronts to engage, it will keep it all nice and lubed. The best way to keep things working, is to actually use it. Just clicking the button does nothing, sorry :(

It is going through a chain reduction to get the lower gear ratio but it still going through the clutch pack and still disengaged until wheel sleepage occurs. It still isn't locked in even in 4 Low.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I love having the lever on the floor. Never been a fan of electronic shifting transfer cases. That said I never had any issues with the '06 2500 I had with the dash knob, I never "exercised" it either. This '11 with the floor lever is way better. :happy107:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I think everything is pretty much bathed in oil and sealed tight. The trick is to use the solenoids from time to time, I would think.

jgkreal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PT 4.7
I just picked up my 13' Ram, I've used my 4x4 Lock, and Low recently in some deep mud with cheapy cheapy All Terrains and it worked flawlessly. I was told not to engage 4x4 on flat ground as it could cause damage, just a heads up!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I use 4wd auto every time it rains, which for us, is practically every day!

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use 4 Auto in the rain all the time. I'll throw it in 4x4 sometimes just for fun when it's wet out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4auto when it rains is fine, but I wouldn't recommend 4lock just for rain. Could cause more harm than good.

Ultimately though, no, you do not need to engage 4x4 every so often "just because" if you have a newer truck. Older ones, absolutely. But with newer vehicles it just isn't necessary, especially if you follow the factory maintenance schedule religiously because the dealers will check all of that for you when it is in for service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn