4WD Lock or 4WD Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I put it on 4wd-auto, and have a heavy foot, I could feel the slight shaking feedback from the accelerator pedal.......... Seems it is in 4wd at that time....

with a heavy foot it will stay in 4wd, come to a stop and take off again on ice or snow and you will notice it came out as you will feel the jerk of it re-engaging, unfortunately 4lock does the same thing but that's an entire different topic lol

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
NOt sure if it adds much to the discussion, but in working on my truck this past wekend, I learned alot about my transfercase and 4wd. at least for me. Truck in Park, front end on stands. Driver side wheel touching the pavement slightly.

1. IN 2wd mode, I can rotate the Front right wheel freely and nothing else moves.
2. In 4wd AUTO, I can rotate the front right but more difficult. as in more resistance and effort needed. doing so turns the front driveshaft.
3. in 4wd LOCK, I cannot rotate anything.

I have a 2009 Laramie. Item 2 above tells me that the front drive shaft is disconnected in the transfer case.

In your 2009 your transfer case actually locks in 4 lock.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
After Reading the other thread and a few others as well as this one! I am almost sick at my stomach.

I researched everything about this ram except this BW 44-44 TC! Before I bought my Ram. I had no clue what I bought!-->My Own Fault!

Granted the only time I will ever engage the system is when there is snow or ice or both... We have not had that type of weather yet.

I really am in No hurry to even push the 4 auto or 4 loc button!! For the fact of Highly Being Pissed Off and Sickened about how I spent my hard earned $$$!

I guess I will just wait and see! I'm really in no hurry to be Highly Depressed!

I really don't think I will ever really use 4-Low so maybe the Auto & Loc will work well enough to at least not leave me stuck and stranded.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
After Reading the other thread and a few others as well as this one! I am almost sick at my stomach.

I researched everything about this ram except this BW 44-44 TC! Before I bought my Ram. I had no clue what I bought!-->My Own Fault!

Granted the only time I will ever engage the system is when there is snow or ice or both... We have not had that type of weather yet.

I really am in No hurry to even push the 4 auto or 4 loc button!! For the fact of Highly Being Pissed Off and Sickened about how I spent my hard earned $$$!

I guess I will just wait and see! I'm really in no hurry to be Highly Depressed!

I really don't think I will ever really use 4-Low so maybe the Auto & Loc will work well enough to at least not leave me stuck and stranded.

I've got a 13 Durango awd and last winter it was going through 8 in of snow with no problems, on the good year tires. I.doubt you will have any serious issues with it.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You're not going to have a problem just trying to get down a snowy road. It's really a problem if you want to wheel the truck in more demanding situations, like off-roading thru deep, unplowed snow with mud under it and the like. Kind of like a housewife's SUV TC. It'll go get the groceries in any weather.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Thanks NYCruiser for painting that picture of a ****** for a TC! LoL!

I will find out soon enough!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I am learning more about this truck, I getting more irritated. The whole on demand system is terrible when I go out on the beach. I thought the stock tires were the issue and I was going to fix that problem in the spring. My truck struggles in the loose sand (tires @20psi).[emoji45] The whole engaging and disengaging on the lose stuff sucks.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I am learning more about this truck, I getting more irritated. The whole on demand system is terrible when I go out on the beach. I thought the stock tires were the issue and I was going to fix that problem in the spring. My truck struggles in the loose sand (tires @20psi).[emoji45] The whole engaging and disengaging on the lose stuff sucks.

Yeah, deep sand will expose the issue for sure. If you get aggressive with the truck on the beach you are likely to see the TC overheat message on your EVIC from the clutches slipping. The non AWD TC's are chain driven, I believe, so they don't get that.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, deep sand will expose the issue for sure. If you get aggressive with the truck on the beach you are likely to see the TC overheat message on your EVIC from the clutches slipping. The non AWD TC's are chain driven, I believe, so they don't get that.

Both are chain driven but on the 44-45 case the front output is a straight shaft it doesn't go through a clutch.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The GM auto function is really nice. As soon as the rear slips you can see the traction light come on and feel the front wheels grab and pull. I used full lock in the snow ONCE just to see the difference. The rest of the time I owned it I never went out of auto when on pavement (in snowy weather). Also, you could feel the difference and see it in gas mileage when using 2wd vs Auto. Different parts spun at different times and it was very noticeable!

Too bad Ram engineers didn't drive a few chevys first to see how to do it correctly.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The GM auto function is really nice. As soon as the rear slips you can see the traction light come on and feel the front wheels grab and pull. I used full lock in the snow ONCE just to see the difference. The rest of the time I owned it I never went out of auto when on pavement (in snowy weather). Also, you could feel the difference and see it in gas mileage when using 2wd vs Auto. Different parts spun at different times and it was very noticeable!

Too bad Ram engineers didn't drive a few chevys first to see how to do it correctly.
What tcases are in the Chevys?

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went from a 2005 Silverado where my choices were Auto, 4 hi and 4 lo. Man that was soo smooth compated to the "Auto" the RAM has. I tested again last night and got beat to hell in Auto. Driving up a grade it was chugging and chugging then BANG gear change. I drove like this for 20 minutes before I said hell with it and went back to 2wd.

OP
OP
SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Makes a fella wonder if these so called engineers even tested this Auto Setup before they put this system into production.

If they did-->They had to have known this set up has MAJOR PROBLEMS and said Screw It put it into production anyway!!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited: