4wd Temporarily Unavailable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2013 ram 1500
140,000 km on the truck
I had to replace my front axle assembly due to stub shafts not being available. Anyways now that i have installed the new to me axle from the wrecker i no longer have a working 4x4 truck.

Before the install i did look over the axle to make sure that it functioned mechanically, which it did so i tossed it in and here we are.

So now when i press the 4wheel lock button on the console the light illuminates as well as the one on the dash but eventually on the EVIC i get a message stating 4wd temporarily unavailable... same goes for 4wheel auto and 4wheel low.

The transfer case functions as normal and i can hear the actuator moving but no power getting to the ground. Took the truck to my local family mechanic and he did find a wheel speed code (old) and a transmission overheat code, both cleared.

Went out again tonight and again still get the same message, anyone have any insight into this issue as im at a loss with my truck not being able to function with 4x4 in the winter.

Also ive called nearly 15 dealerships in ontario and not a single person has heard of this problem so im reaching out.

Any input will be much appreciated

i can post a video or a link to my youtube tomorrow if anyone needs a visual

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
from the wrecker i no longer have a working 4x4 truck.

Pulling parts from wrecked vehicles is a roll of the dice. I did this a couple times years ago and ended up getting screwed... and that was before all the high tech sensors and gizmos.

But, you are where you are.... so what to do? If the truck flashes an error message there's got to be some information on how/what is causing it. For whatever reason the techs may not want to take the time but they do have some information about it somewhere. I'd keep trying dealers until you can get someone to talk with you. I think there are a couple techs that frequent this board and maybe one will chime in.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may just be a coincidence. When was the last time you had tried 4wd, before swapping axles?
Did a little searching on Google and found a guy with the same message along with the transmission overheat code (he had a Jeep though). Doesn't look like he posted a resolution though, of course.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
2013 ram 1500
140,000 km on the truck
I had to replace my front axle assembly due to stub shafts not being available. Anyways now that i have installed the new to me axle from the wrecker i no longer have a working 4x4 truck.

Before the install i did look over the axle to make sure that it functioned mechanically, which it did so i tossed it in and here we are.

So now when i press the 4wheel lock button on the console the light illuminates as well as the one on the dash but eventually on the EVIC i get a message stating 4wd temporarily unavailable... same goes for 4wheel auto and 4wheel low.

The transfer case functions as normal and i can hear the actuator moving but no power getting to the ground. Took the truck to my local family mechanic and he did find a wheel speed code (old) and a transmission overheat code, both cleared.

Went out again tonight and again still get the same message, anyone have any insight into this issue as im at a loss with my truck not being able to function with 4x4 in the winter.

Also ive called nearly 15 dealerships in ontario and not a single person has heard of this problem so im reaching out.

Any input will be much appreciated

i can post a video or a link to my youtube tomorrow if anyone needs a visual

I'm no tech, but have dealt with similar situations. I use AlLLDATAdiy.com for situations like this. It'll cost you $20 or so and give you all the info you will ever need to figure it out for 1 year. I only have access to my '16 2500, so this info may or may not be exactly applicable to yours, but I found some system operation that will hopefully be useful. Seeing that you have had a speed sensor code in the past, pay close attention to the last sentence. See below:

The front differential will LOCK only when ALL the following conditions are met:

front axle will not lock until the rear axle is locked
vehicle speed less than 16KPH (10 MPH)
left front to right front wheel speed difference less than 5 KPH (3 MPH)
transfer case in 4 LO position
switch position for the corresponding axle is in the LOCK position
ignition switch in the RUN or START position
no locking differential or communication faults detected by the FDCM
The differentials will UNLOCK when ANY of the following conditions are met:

transfer case in 4 HI, 2 WD, or Neutral
front differential will UNLOCK when switch is in OPEN or RR, rear differential will UNLOCK when switch is in OPEN
axle or communication faults are detected
ignition switch is removed from the RUN or START position

Axle Lock Failsafes:

Axles will UNLOCK with ignition off even if switch position is still in the LOCK position. The module will relock the axles on ignition on if the required conditions are met.
Axles will not LOCK if there is no ignition switch, vehicle speed, or transfer case position signal. Axles will UNLOCK with the loss of any of these signals.
Axles will not LOCK if the ignition switch is not in RUN or START
Axles will UNLOCK with the loss of ignition switch, vehicle speed, transfer case position signal, axle lock switch signals, axle faults, or communication faults.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
d2ba53ee0f4d298b8752cc839fef43a5.jpg

This may be another thing to look at.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front diff is the same ratio as the rear diff ?
I would check it manually, not rely on the label.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To summarize for everyone's responses.

I've done several axle swaps before and always causious when taking delivery so I pull it apart and manually inspect to make sure it will function mechanically. I've had this message before when I had my old axle assembly in MINUS 1 CV when I got a little stuck in the summer. I thought it might have got me out. No luck.
So to answer yes I've seen this message once before and now that there is snow I see it often since yes it does not work.
From what I've been reading online is that I will have to have the module flashed at the dealer to indicate that everything is ok again but not a single dealer has seen or heard of this message and I really don't want to pay their wage to do research. They after all should be exposed or available to all situations.

I'm going to try and pull the negative terminal off the battery this morning and see if I get any change. But if not I'll have to sent it away to my mechanic for an overall, lesson learned I'll leave it to them next time. Also I still have a functional axle in my shop if something doesn't work, well minus passenger CV. That's worst case but I do have options. Mind you expensive ones.

Keeep the replys rolling!

deerhunt799

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you said you've done axle swaps in the past, this probably isn't it but here goes anyway...I did my wife's Trailblazer driver side axle this past summer. Got the axle in, seemed a little tight but was able to get the hub on and suspension back together no problem. Went camping a couple weeks later and wanted to try 4x4 and it didn't work. Same as you, I could hear the actuator. Long story short, I pulled everything back apart and found that I hadn't seated the axle in there quite far enough. Pounded the heck out of the axle with a rubber mallet until it was for sure in far enough and viola, 4x4 worked.

Good luck and hope you find out the problem!

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) Outta curiousity--how do you know it's not in ACTUAL 4wd ???

If the shift condition shows a soliid light in the EVIC/sw, then the computer knows that the shift condition has been met--it the light blinks---it hasn't been met !

My jeep 4wd system would only show BLINKING shift ICONS when I would engage 4wd "LOCK" in 2wd/4hi/4lo--but I had the manual :LOCK" circuits circumvent the computer so it was "FOOLED"--so

You may actually be in 4wd and the computer is confused/w the changed axles-

You probably already know that--

Good luck

:crazy:

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you said you've done axle swaps in the past, this probably isn't it but here goes anyway...I did my wife's Trailblazer driver side axle this past summer. Got the axle in, seemed a little tight but was able to get the hub on and suspension back together no problem. Went camping a couple weeks later and wanted to try 4x4 and it didn't work. Same as you, I could hear the actuator. Long story short, I pulled everything back apart and found that I hadn't seated the axle in there quite far enough. Pounded the heck out of the axle with a rubber mallet until it was for sure in far enough and viola, 4x4 worked.

Good luck and hope you find out the problem!

If I spin the drive shaft from the transfer case the cv shafts spin when 4x4 is selected. This is all done manually