4X4 auto question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackedoutNinja

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the snow flew yesterday and the roads were stupid icy. Im just wondering exactly how the 4X4 auto setting works? what are some pros or cons compared to using 4X4 lock? Will the auto engaging and disengaging wear anything out?
Thanks.:happy160:

MACH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in MN so we know Ice and Snow...

I leave my truck in Auto 4x4 all winter and have never had to run straight 4x4 in high or low.

It's nice cause if you start to lose traction it engages. when no traction loss is present it's just in rear wheel like normal.

Even cruising around on frozen lakes in a foot of snow or more... 4x4 Auto for me.

No issues with wearing stuff out using it either as far as I know. Never failed me yet.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4x4 lock option is for low gear and don't expect to be moving very fast. I agree, the auto 4x4 is a good setting.

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lock is good for putting boats in the water and pulling them out, or pulling anything out of ditches .

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
4x4 auto: you have a transfer case with a center differential, allowing the front axle to turn at different speed than the rear axle. Use this setting for driving in winter, on sand, and anywhere traction is lower than nice pavement

4x4 lock: on trucks with a center diff, the center diff if locked. On trucks that don't have "auto", it simply engages the front axle. Front and rear axles must turn the same speed. Use only on low-traction surfaces, such as ice, snow, sand, offroad, etc. Can run at highway speed if you're on heavy snow.

4x4 low: locks both front and rear axles, and uses the transfer case low range. Use only on low-traction surfaces where maximum torque is required (like pulling out a truck from the mud, yanking a tree stump).

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
4WD Auto is a great setting when the weather is really poor outside but doesn't warrant you running in 4x4 mode and running a risk of breaking something. Plus gives you the benefit of being able to move quickly if need be and having full traction at a moments notice.

Only downside to 4WD Auto is it takes more gas to run with it enabled as the front, while not getting power, is enabled so a little more engine work is required.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
TheMostInterestingManInTheWorld_zpsa500a1ae.jpg

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the 4x4 Auto feature. I don't have to worry about my wife staying on the road, nor burning anything up accidentally putting it in low and hitting the highway.
We also leave it on all winter.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know with 4x4 lock... and 4x4 low... you have speed restrictions... is there any speed restrictions with 4x4 auto? I don't want to be driving side roads going 20-25...then get to a highway and crank it up to 45-50mpg and worry about the freaking thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

nick_si

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram SLT
Engine
I dont think you would be driving those speeds and need 4x4 it will probably follow the baisc rules when switching it to manual 4x4.

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know with 4x4 lock... and 4x4 low... you have speed restrictions... is there any speed restrictions with 4x4 auto? I don't want to be driving side roads going 20-25...then get to a highway and crank it up to 45-50mpg and worry about the freaking thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

you can drive highway speeds with auto in inclement weather. It won't hurt anything. Auto will only kick in if there is loss in traction. Alot of ppl on the forum drive in auto constently

OP
OP
blackedoutNinja

blackedoutNinja

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
thank for all the input everyone,, just to be clear im talking about using it for bad conditions such as ice and snow. other wise i ride 2X