4x4 Differential Oil Change ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'm at 42k now and plan on changing my differential oil etc to full synthetic! Do you think 50k is too soon ? I know I do not need synthetic but I use it in the oil for my car,RAM and motorcycles !
I also know it foams less but I do not off road and do not beat on it so it is over kill lol
Anyone notice any difference when switching ?
Will I get a extra 100 MPG ? :roflsquared:
Thanks and I am a Synthetic oil junkie :O

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not too soon at all. I changed mine (didn't go syn thoh) before 30k. Dealership thought I was weird. Every 4x4/AWD I've ever owned get's the diffs/transfercase/centerdiff done at 25,000-27,000 miles. It's why I've had automatic transmissions and differentials go well past the 250,000 mile mark with zero issues. The same goes for a company car I had w non-servicable "lifetime" fluid. Showed the SvcMag and Tech how to do the bucket-flush change by dropping the low pressure line and connecting a pickup line to the low pressure inlet. Everyone else's rides were down for transmission work while I kept plugging along w my work day.

Anyone who balks IMHO is ignorant. Hell, it isn't even like "You're destroying the environment." because the fluid gets recycled and ideally made into new fluid(s).

But that's just me. ;)

p.s. I finally hit 35k on my 2014 this week. Heeheehee #LowUseage

Last edited:

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not too soon at all. I changed mine (didn't go syn thoh) before 30k. Dealership thought I was weird. Every 4x4/AWD I've ever owned get's the diffs/transfercase/centerdiff done at 25,000-27,000 miles. It's why I've had automatic transmissions and differentials go well past the 250,000 mile mark with zero issues. The same goes for a company car I had w non-servicable "lifetime" fluid. Showed the SvcMag and Tech how to do the bucket-flush change by dropping the low pressure line and connecting a pickup line to the low pressure inlet. Everyone else's rides were down for transmission work while I kept plugging along w my work

Is what you are describing a trans fluid change? Applicable to the 8-speed? I’d sooner do a fluid swap every 60k or so than go through the process of dropping the $300 pan/filter and replacing it. Tell us more!

DG

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Thanks alot great info

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Is what you are describing a trans fluid change? Applicable to the 8-speed? I’d sooner do a fluid swap every 60k or so than go through the process of dropping the $300 pan/filter and replacing it. Tell us more!

DG

Not for the new 8 speed and not for a FCA vehicle. Different manufacturer is all I am "OK to acknowledge" per forum rules and other stuff I am obligated by. Know what I mean? :favorites13:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01