4x4 issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 Laramie with a transfercase issue, I've had this issue from when I first bought the truck in February of 2015, the issue is intermittent and I only notice it when I'm stopped and try to take off, in 4 auto, 4hi and even 4low. My first symptom was whenever I put load or tension on the drivetrain I'd head a ratcheting sound or almost like something was slipping, had a buddy tell me it was normal and that it was suppose to prevent any damage to my transfercase, which I thinks was bs, now that it's winter and the roads are slippery my 4x4 doesn't engage. The light shows up on the dash, I head it engage but nothing happens to the front tires. But once I get up to 15-20 km and I step on it the front tires somewhat engage. I recently took my truck to a shop and did some work in it myself and noticed I had a rear transfercase seal leaking. Checked my t-case and it had little to no oil in it, filled it up and thought it would've fixed my 4x4 issue. I also had a wheel speed sensor damaged few months ago but I fixed that and don't think it'd be the problem. If anybody can help me out it'd be great, any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had it in the shop what did they say about it? Here you have a bunch of well meaning members that will probably give you many suggestions, but don't know all the facts or the history of your vehicle (such as miles driven, if you bought new, driving habits, ect).

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you had it in the shop what did they say about it? Here you have a bunch of well meaning members that will probably give you many suggestions, but don't know all the facts or the history of your vehicle (such as miles driven, if you bought new, driving habits, ect).

Sorry about that, bought the truck used with 140,000 km, guy I bought it fro was a 60 year old that drove 50km one way to a job. Picked it up last winter, put a 2.5 lift front and rear, 35inch toyo open country, bullydog programmer. My truck is a daily driver, but now that I'm working away in camp I don't drive it very often. Truck now has 180,000 km. I did the service myself, put oil in the transfercase and figured that was the issue.

OP
OP
D

dradon.day

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry about that, bought the truck used with 140,000 km, guy I bought it fro was a 60 year old that drove 50km one way to a job. Picked it up last winter, put a 2.5 lift front and rear, 35inch toyo open country, bullydog programmer. My truck is a daily driver, but now that I'm working away in camp I don't drive it very often. Truck now has 180,000 km. I did the service myself, put oil in the transfercase and figured that was the issue.

Haven't had the chance to get it back in a shop since I've been away at work, just brain storming what the issue could have been.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think the case fill up with oil helped with what sounds like a mechanical problem in the case. The ratcheting sound may be a gear set that is not fully engaging or has broken teeth.