4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marx82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there someone else who having problem with the Auto and lock mode?

Even if i put my truck into "4wd lock" it seems to be in auto anyway!
if i accelerate from 0 km/h in locked mode on slippery surface, the rear tires will spin before it goes into 4x4

When i have it in auto all seems to work as i should.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope, mine worked fine when I had to use it last month. Is it just at first or every time? It takes a little slippage to mesh everything when you first put it in 4 lock.

OP
OP
M

marx82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope its evry time, and if i press gently on the break the rear wheels spins until i give on some trottle.

Diller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
Just used mine this weekend in 4 lock for the first time and I was able to get 3 wheels spinning at the same time on a steep wet gravel road.

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
if i accelerate from 0 km/h in locked mode on slippery surface, the rear tires will spin before it goes into 4x4

I used my 4x4 "lock" and "auto" for the first time this past weekend and I think I noticed the same thing.

If I remember correctly, when selecting from 2x4 to 4x4 "lock" the truck would wait to engage the axle until it noticed the first sign of slip. From then on out (until I selected another mode) the axle stayed locked in.

However, I didn't give it a whole lot of thought due to the conditions. When it snows again, and if I have some free time, I will test this out as well.

I must say that 4x4 auto is a pretty neat feature. I used to prefer manually shifted transfercases because I would shift in and out of 4x4 when driving in the snow (Into 4x4 for taking off from lights/stop signs and back to 2x4 when crusing). I was worried about the electronic case not being able to accomodate my driving style but this feature allows me to [basically] continue that style.

*Also.... Hemi + 4x4 + snowy road = :evillol:

OP
OP
M

marx82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the auto mode is super and I got 2 of them ;-)

Im going to try it out one more time today, and if it stays the same i will take it to my dealer. I keep you updated.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there someone else who having problem with the Auto and lock mode?

When i have it in auto all seems to work as i should.

Nope mine works great. I tried both auto and lock and the lock will spin both front and rear tires instantly on a slippery surface. Make the dealership fix that could be a defective transfer case...

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope, mine worked fine when I had to use it last month. Is it just at first or every time? It takes a little slippage to mesh everything when you first put it in 4 lock.

Ok, I think I found what you are talking about today when driving on snow. The tires will spin instantly but under no throttle it is almost like it unlocks something. I put mine in 4 low and held my foot on the brake and let off a little, the rear tirea sat and spun but the front tires were stopped. I confirmed it shifting in and out of 4low and it did it every time. 4 hi lock wouldnt do it because it doesnt have the torque to overcome the brakes. But in both modes as soon as I gave it gas to spin the tires it would spin at least 1 front tire.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nope mine works great. I tried both auto and lock and the lock will spin both front and rear tires instantly on a slippery surface. Make the dealership fix that could be a defective transfer case...

Any updates on this? I will be taking mine in probably next week to see if they will look at it. I now have a video of it doing it for a little proof at least.

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
so we really have 3x4's?

Yep...99% of all "4x4's" from all US auto manufactures have an open differential in the front (which mean's "3x4").

If you want to get even more technical...Unless you have a limited slip differential in the rear end, then your "4x4" is actually a "2x4" (one front driving wheel and one rear).

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Aftermarket locker will take care of that little issue. Anyway, I have the '13 4x4 with the 8 speed, and no issues with mine.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
You don't have a 3x4 you have four driven wheels. With an open diff the traction is 2 times the least traction available of one wheel. If you have one wheel on snow an one wheel on pavement, it's like both are on snow. Still better than just one.

A locker/lsd is definitely desirable in the rear, but seldom required in the front unless you wheel.

OP
OP
M

marx82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can it be some diffrense between models, like laramie etc?

i have had 2 cummins 2500 -01 and -03 and i have never had any problem like this on
eighter of them?

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
i like how when your in 4by when you crank the stearing it doesnt bind up.