4x4 problem Ram 2013+ 8-speed 44-44 transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B Red Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Anyone else experiencing this or have any remedies? With this first heavy snow, this issue has really become apparent in my truck.

The back of my truck will get extremely loose in 4x4 Lock before it seems the front axle catches up.

ZCR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi A8 3.92
We've had quite a bit of snow since early October here in SD; I always just use 4 auto and the rear never gets loose unless I really get on it but then the front is then loose a split second later. The response of the frontend in 4 auto is nearly seamless on mine.

In 4 lock or low the transfer case is definitely always locked as the front and rear spin simultaneously on demand and the truck crabs.

I'd have it checked out if I were you.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think anyone would want a LSD in their front end. Steering would always be a pain. Even my Jeep Rubicon didn't come with that. It just had an electrically actuated locker for the times you needed it. Once that front was locked, you really couldn't turn the Jeep very well unless rock crawling and one front was off the ground.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
uploadfromtaptalk1388961641531.jpg Here is what happened to me a week ago. I was in my snow covered driveway and everytime I would let off the gas and stop the front axle will disconnect until I give it gas again. I have an appointment for this friday to have the dealer tell me it is normal.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just got back from the dealer. According to the tech I talked to the new transfer case with the auto feature essentially will never lock mechanically. That is why I got the message saying 4wd overheated. The clutches are used at all times. So if you are ever stuck in deep snow, sand, or mud. You better hope that you get out in a reasonable timeframe. Otherwise you will burn up your transfer case. They just replaced one earlier this week of guy qho got stuck in deep snow in the middle of nowhere. Even though he was using 4 lock he burned his transfer case up getting out. Thanks Ram!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
well thats not good. whats the point of 4 lock then?

That was my question. That will be my question if I ever get the time to call Chrysler/Ram customer service. I doubt they will be able to tell me anything but that is complete bs. This is a half ton truck not a journey.

Fromwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
In the market
Engine
In the market
That was my question. That will be my question if I ever get the time to call Chrysler/Ram customer service. I doubt they will be able to tell me anything but that is complete bs. This is a half ton truck not a journey.

Yeah, unfortunately my guess is that 75-80% of people buying a half ton, are using them as a daily commuter and to throw a few pieces of lumber in the back so they will never experience this issue.
Only the select few that truly use them as trucks will likely experience this and to RAM they probably figure only 10% will complain... Just my .02

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this only an issue with the transfer cases that have the Auto feature?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the information. One thing I was taught when bought my first four wheel drive truck was to make sure that I ran it in 4 wheel high and low on a dirt road at least once a month to make sure all the gears state property lubed up. I plan to continue that with this truck as I haven't had a four wheel drive in about 10 or 12 years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got back from the dealer. According to the tech I talked to the new transfer case with the auto feature essentially will never lock mechanically. That is why I got the message saying 4wd overheated. The clutches are used at all times. So if you are ever stuck in deep snow, sand, or mud. You better hope that you get out in a reasonable timeframe. Otherwise you will burn up your transfer case. They just replaced one earlier this week of guy qho got stuck in deep snow in the middle of nowhere. Even though he was using 4 lock he burned his transfer case up getting out. Thanks Ram!

So essentially doing any type of off roading with one of these transfer cases could possibly burn it up? I have a beach near me that I used to go out on all the time with my previous truck but after hearing this I'm not sure I want to take my Ram out there...

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So essentially doing any type of off roading with one of these transfer cases could possibly burn it up? I have a beach near me that I used to go out on all the time with my previous truck but after hearing this I'm not sure I want to take my Ram out there...

Quite possibly if you get stuck and have to really work to get it out yes. I hope this dealer is full of bs but I did a test. I put mine in 4 lock, power braked it and was able to spin the rear tires and hold the fronts stationary. That tells me that there indeed is no mechanical lock. Honestly if it is under warranty I wouldn't worry about it because if anything ever happened it should be covered. My big concern is someone who buys the truck and keeps it for 10 years. Im sure that thing isn't cheap to replace... Maybe they will come out fmwith some locking clutch pkates that will eliminate the issue but doubtful.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quite possibly if you get stuck and have to really work to get it out yes. I hope this dealer is full of bs but I did a test. I put mine in 4 lock, power braked it and was able to spin the rear tires and hold the fronts stationary. That tells me that there indeed is no mechanical lock. Honestly if it is under warranty I wouldn't worry about it because if anything ever happened it should be covered. My big concern is someone who buys the truck and keeps it for 10 years. Im sure that thing isn't cheap to replace... Maybe they will come out fmwith some locking clutch pkates that will eliminate the issue but doubtful.

Well isn't that just awesome. Was it 4x4 low? Man if I had known this when I bought my truck, I would've bought the other truck I was looking at that had the part time 4wd...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

OP
OP
M

marx82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in that case i hope they will do something about it. i realy need my 4x4, or else its better to buy a nissan micra with mattracks!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The thing that bothers me is that it isn't really 4WD. Its technically AWD. If I wanted an AWD truck I would've bought a Ridgeline.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well isn't that just awesome. Was it 4x4 low? Man if I had known this when I bought my truck, I would've bought the other truck I was looking at that had the part time 4wd...

Sent from my Galaxy S4

If you have the chance. Find some snow to put the rear tires on, lightly hold the brake and engage 4 low. If it is like mine the rear tires will sit and spin until you hit the gas, it will then send torque to the front axle.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the chance. Find some snow to put the rear tires on, lightly hold the brake and engage 4 low. If it is like mine the rear tires will sit and spin until you hit the gas, it will then send torque to the front axle.

Yeah I'll have to wait til there's more snow. Its pretty much all melted here. I'm definitely trying that as soon as I can.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really??? I don't have the "auto" transfer case, but I did look at a Laramie that had that. I almost bought it. Nobody mentioned anything to me about it not having a true 4x4 lock when I was deciding. I just got lucky because I'm that guy that keeps his truck and I didn't want to watch all the electronic features, like auto dimming headlights, get old.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Really??? I don't have the "auto" transfer case, but I did look at a Laramie that had that. I almost bought it. Nobody mentioned anything to me about it not having a true 4x4 lock when I was deciding. I just got lucky because I'm that guy that keeps his truck and I didn't want to watch all the electronic features, like auto dimming headlights, get old.

Your lucky if a salesman can even tell you what engine a vehicle has, let alone specifics that are pretty much reserved for the service department.