5.7 Hemi Discontinued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That has been debunked several times since on AllPar and several sources have stated the 5.7 will survive through 2021.

Wheeew. Heart attack ...narrowly avoided

Eventually, maybe not right away, but eventually smaller engines and electric assist and other electric features will be introduced. It's inevitable. Probably introduced in the smaller trucks at first, then fleet vehicles to warm the buying public to it.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think some of you are over-reacting. If true this is just the 5.7L. They aren't dumb enough to get rid of a V8. I am sure it will be replace by something better. Maybe offer the SRT 6.4 in premium models... or a 5.0 turbo? I would expect it to be simliar to how Infiniti is phasing out the 3.5/3.7 VQ motor. They gave the entry people the same power in a smaller package and the Sport model much more horsepower. If anything I expect the V6 to go away and see a 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder option. Rumor has it the new Wrangler 4 cylinder has 368hp.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I agree about Ford. I can't see myself driving an F150 with a 2.7l v6. I think that engine is based on a Briggs & Stratton design. I wouldn't feel comfortable with an engine that size that puts out over 300hp. All of the problems are sure to happen after its out of warranty.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
That has been debunked several times since on AllPar and several sources have stated the 5.7 will survive through 2021.

News: State of the Hemi, 2022

Had Hillary won and continued Obama's CAFE enforcement then perhaps things would have changed sooner. Obviously anything can change yet again, but as of now there is little reason to believe the 5.7 production is actually ending next year.

This!

But when the 5.7s do go every 1500 owner who loved the Hemi will have to go to HD for 6.4 or Cummins, or just accept downsizing. I will be holding on to my 6.4 truck for a LONG time.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I want a hemi for my next truck, but if it's not available I'll take the turbo straight six they are coming out with. I bet it's a little torque monster!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have to agree, don't care for the Ford or GM looks, don't care much for the current Tundras, and never liked the Titan. However, I would have owned a Pentastar if I could. Still, I doubt FCA will do away with the V8 till a viable alternative is ready. If they can build a good turbo 6, or decent mid level diesel, that would work as well.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as long as I can have a Truck that can pull Horses and any gooseneck available

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i dont see them getting rid of the HEMI, its got a massive following, why would you dump something that is in such demand, but ill tell you this right now, if future rams only come in v6 builds, i wont own another one

It does not matter a bit how popular the 5.7Hemi is. It is the new EPA regulations. Unless EPA rolls these Obama era regulations back you will be saying goodbye to V8 engines all together.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
That would be a major blow.

I wonder how much Fiat management meddles with domestic design? Fiat is the king of small vehicles. Their car are popular in Europe and around the world as the low-price low-frills leaders, but you look in China where their car-buying habits are a lot like ours (larger cars, minus pickups) and you see very few Fiats. I wasn't thrilled when I heard Fiat was going to be the new Chrysler parent. I've rented several Fiat cars, I think they're not great cars. Then again, maybe they are looking at another, perhaps even better, V8 too??

Anyone remember the early 80's when a 305 was the 'big' engine in GM trucks ...and base Firebirds came with 4-bangers?

I had a couple of those...I bought a new 82 Z28 305c.i. with 155hp...lol...G.M. disgraced a legendary Z28 tradition with that P.O.S...Then I bought a new 85 K5 Blazer...Another 305c.i. but this time they were all setup with California EPA spec dual air pumps...Another P.O.S.

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's only a matter of time.....once they give us more details of the redesign, we will hear about the engine.

My opinion, For trucks, the entry would be the hurricane turbo v4 or pentasar v6 to hit around 300hp...then for the other trims, the inline v6 turbo to get the 400hp range. Finally the upper trims would get either a 5.7 hemi turbo, or the 6.4L hemi for that 500hp range.

Personally, I will miss the 5.7 hemi.

Former owner of a 2012 Ram 1500...and future owner of a Ram 1500

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To follow up, the most interesting part of all of this is the the jeep wrangler is coming out with the i4 turbo rated at 368hp which is insane.

Don't mind a turbo, but I really worry about durability. A turbo isn't cheap to replace after warranty.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how long it will take for FCA after removal of the Hemi to realize how many buyers they will lose. I'd say at least sales will drop 25% on Ram 1500's and 15% on 2500/3500, sales for these turbo'd 4 bangers and V6 engines will be minimal with stiff compition from the boys with the blue oval, in the aspect of small quick engines they win. FCA bread and butter of the Truck industry is the big beefy Hemi's 5.7/6.4 and this is all in view of gasoline engines as long as we maintain good relations with Cummins FCA will remain King of diesel. now as mentioned by @AROD412 the option to get the Hemi in higher trim levels is a downfall as well because buyers of the basic trim ST 5.7 enjoy the price of still owning a Hemi and with owning a lower trim the towing capacity is higher which helps guys like me use our Rams what they were built to do. WORK! now days trucks have become a status symbol above the average person who just drives a car. now I wish I could make this my signature but I don't know how "F*ck the EPA let America build great Trucks USA USA USA!!!!!". Thanks for reading the rant and GOD BLESS AMERICA.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With all of the hemi engine rumors being discontinued for the last year and a half, that is why I traded in my ram for a charger scat pack. It's even worse of an engine choice for a charger and challenger because I can see FCA just keeping the hellcat motors and giving up the 5.7 and 6.4 hemi. Everything will be turbo for chargers and challengers

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although I would hate to see the hemi go the + side would be that our existing hemi's would hold their value or increase.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would not have bought my truck if I could not have the 5.7 and 8sp. They will lose buyers IMO.
If I had to pick I would go to a Ford F250 with a 6.2 if they still make it..lol

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
This was just posted on AllPar today by one of their reliable insiders:

Newer generation of HEMI engines have been pushed back a bit and should make a debut around 2023 or 2024. The cars should have a n/a version as well as a boosted version (not sure if Supercharged or Turbocharged) but will use the same block and lowers. Hearing DOHC also under consideration. Ford's 5.0L Coyote is DOHC and GM will introduce a new DOHC V8 next year. However, packaging will be the key decider.

So again, it's not likely that the Hemi is going away anytime soon. It's been said repeatedly that the 5.7 Hemi is a cash-cow for FCA, so they are going to hold onto it a while longer is my guess. CAFE standards were driving much of the rumors, but even then it was more about dropping the motors from passenger cars. Trucks were slated to continue using the Hemi motor regardless. At least into the foreseeable future.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There’s way to many rumours to know who to trust. I’ve heard of the twin turbo pentastar, turbo 4 cylinder, and a turbo hemi. Well just have to wait and see when news goes beyond rumours.

I don’t know what I’d do if they dropped the hemi in the 1500, have to keep my current truck forever.