5.7 Hemi Discontinued

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
All it means is that:

1) Pushrod engines are cheaper to make
2) Fuel economy doesn't matter on super duties (3/4+ trucks in general), as they don't even have to report what it is and it in no way affects their fleet fuel economy.

The F150 though does, and AFAIK, The F150 isn't getting this engine, and its two most powerful engine options are turbos. That's more telling IMO when high power + fuel economy is needed.

Of course pushrod engines are cheaper to make. But engineering a new production motor in todays world is not. Fuel economy does matter regardless of whether or not they are required to publish figures. Ford engineers stated as much in a recent interview:

"We built a map of where an engine, can run stoichiometric air-fuel without a bunch of spark retard," Beltramo said. "That led us to a torque-per-liter value and a power-per-liter value, [which] knowing that, boxed us to 7.3 liters."

To come with up with a solution for a vehicle over 14,000-lbs, the 7.3-liter was generated to work at relatively low RPMs for fuel efficiency. It made sense with the creation of a pushrod two-valve, according to Beltramo. The Coyote 5.0-liter with an overhead-cam that powers the Mustang works best in the middle to top rev range, but something like that doesn't make sense when hauling and towing big things, this is where an engine needs to work its best in the lower RPM range to conserve fuel.

"If you used [the 7.3-liter] in an F-150 or something, it would not return the kind of fuel economy at light load as some of our other engine offerings that we deploy in that vehicle," Beltramo said. "There would be a hit for the displacement. But when you start talking about running day-in-day-out, at high weights...the displacement brings a big fuel-economy benefit."

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
The 5.7 has had a very long and successful run credit to its design and execution but it will be replaced probably in the near future. Now the ? is with what? Putting a version of the 6.4 in the 1500 could happen and or a turbo on the Pentastar a motor that has components turbo ready or the I6 that is rumored. For grunt the turbo I6 has real potential with torque unique to inline crankshafts and the strength of only 1 cylinder per journal for durability. I like big displacement normally asperated engines for grunt but think options with small displacement turbos have their place and are likely. Whatever FCA does it must be really good to replace the venerable 5.7.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you believe the interwebs, the Hemi is a ticking time bomb anyway....

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I doubt they will kill it. Sales would plummet. If chevy kills their ls series it may happen but if the hemi is killed I’ll just buy a 6.2 chevy and FCA knows that.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The 5.7 has had a very long and successful run credit to its design and execution but it will be replaced probably in the near future. Now the ? is with what? Putting a version of the 6.4 in the 1500 could happen and or a turbo on the Pentastar a motor that has components turbo ready or the I6 that is rumored. For grunt the turbo I6 has real potential with torque unique to inline crankshafts and the strength of only 1 cylinder per journal for durability. I like big displacement normally asperated engines for grunt but think options with small displacement turbos have their place and are likely. Whatever FCA does it must be really good to replace the venerable 5.7.

Chrysler had plans for an 8 cyl pentastar with smaller displacement, more up and torque as well as increased mpg. It was shelved as the hemi was much cheaper to produce.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Chrysler had plans for an 8 cyl pentastar with smaller displacement, more up and torque as well as increased mpg. It was shelved as the hemi was much cheaper to produce.

Until they have to rebuild it cause a lifter failed! LoL

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Until they have to rebuild it cause a lifter failed! LoL

2018 2500 6.4 4x4 4.10 Amsoil SS 0w-40, Softopper
Black Rhino Armory 18x9 +12mm
Cooper St MAXX LT295/70R18

2016 Durango 5.7 AWD 3.07 Amsoil SS 4 Qts 5W-30 and 3 Qts 0W-40
1996 Nissan Altima 2.4 Amsoil SS 5W-30

Ain't that the truth.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I doubt they will kill it. Sales would plummet. If chevy kills their ls series it may happen but if the hemi is killed I’ll just buy a 6.2 chevy and FCA knows that.

FCA has shown zero interest in the 5.7 Hemi for quite a while now. There haven't been any major revisions since 2009, which is telling. It is a cheap motor to produce (about $1500 according to sources) and I'm sure that's helped keep it around so long. But from what I've read it's not going to meet emissions and fuel economy standards going forward. Things could change depending on the political and social climate, but I'd say that's not very likely.

Fortunately, at least one insider stated a V8 option would remain available in 1/2 ton models after the I6 was released. But absolutely no mention of a new V8 engine or revised 5.7 being coming down the line. If I were to guess, I'd say the 6.4 will show up in certain models but only after the I6 arrives. Seems like FCA has really been dragging their feet as of recently so who knows how soon that day will come.

Since I now drive HD trucks, what I'd really like to see is a 426 Hemi option with a beefed up 8 speed to compete with the Godzilla motor :D

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Here in Europe the RAM and Dodge importer has some how got the Hemi E85 certified and the road tax cut in half and som change. So it is now a Euro6 engine, but the classic Hemi model is still a Euro5 engine....