60,000 miles service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Approaching that 60,000 mile mark and starting to think about the service needed. I have to confess that I never had the 30,000 mile done. So basically the oil has been changed when required (and filter) and I changed to a K&N air filter so no need to change that. Looking through my manual it looks like all that is needed is spark plug change? Not seeing anything about trans, transfer case (other than inspecting), rear end oil, coolant, or anything? My mileage has dropped by about 2-3 MPG in the past 6 months so figuring plugs may be the culprit.

What is a ballpark figure for the 60,000 mile service?

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Probably the best option is to call your dealer for a figure. That type of "service" is generally high and justified with lots of words like "Check this" and "Inspect that" but no parts are included. You will likely wind up paying several hundreds of dollars for an oil change and maybe an air filter that you don't even want.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My ram dealer gave me a list some of are
oil change
4wd service front, rear diff. trans case fluild change
brake fluild flush
fuel injection cleaning
sprake plugs
pcv valve

a CHRYSLER
dealer says

Oil change
plugs CHECK pcv valve
check brake fluid
wd service

BOTH dealers have same name, different family members own them
The chrsler dealer sales mainly jeeps

So the ram dealer basically does what they say to check,
so they can make more $$$$ off people.

SOOOOO
READ your manual and call a few different dealers and see what they say,
BETTER YET e-mai; them and be shocked by price difference, even if owned by same people.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought that the 13's need a spark plug change every 30k. Might have something to do with your mileage decrease.
Jay

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Yep. was supposed to be done at 30k but just never got around to it. i used to drive 100 miles a day and got to 30k pretty quick but have since started working from home so now it rolls up pretty slowly. just kind of slips your mind when you aren't driving it every day

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
your owners manual will tell you what should be done. dealers tell you what they recommend, at high cost. its called an up sell.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My ram dealer gave me a list some of are
oil change
4wd service front, rear diff. trans case fluild change
brake fluild flush
fuel injection cleaning
sprake plugs
pcv valve

Definitely do all of these.

Add coil packs as well, transmission fluid drop pan change filters. Since you are someone who neglects his equipment, definitely move all your fluids over to ester based. Brake pads, turn rotors. Fuel filter. Check power steering fluid. Coolant swap.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
They will try to pad their pocket with all your drive train fluids, and a brake system and maybe steering system flush--even before they offer to do the plugs.
They will also probably suggest a throttle body cleaning.

Since its not a warranty issue, I would never let a stealership change my diff, transverse or tranny fluid at $100/hour shop rate--No EFFn Way. A lot of places offer 4x4 service packages at a decent price compared to stealership.

TB comes off easy, and as long as you use brake cleaner on a rag (no spraying, no TB cleaner) its an easy DIY job.

For brake flush, just have it done when you have your pads done next at a reputable service shop. They have to bleed the lines anyway.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm running with the Maxcare warranty and unless it's specifically in the manual it's not getting done. I'm at 56K and was just thinking of looking into this. I'm pretty sure there's not much required @ 60K. Plugs aren't until 100K.

Edit - just did a quick look in the manual there really isn't anything mandatory. Tranny fluid if you're extreme duty (taxi, police car, etc.). Air filter every 30K (buy them on line and save a bunch of money over the dealer). Check the xfer case fluid it says.

Last edited:

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
i thought the 11's were last year of the 30k mile spark plug change...

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's what I was wondering, I'm looking to have at least coolant and tranny fluid at 63k

My truck is a 2011 and is a single cab that never haules anything.

What are people's thoughts?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I quoted my manual a couple posts ago I was talking about a 2014 6.4 Hemi. Lots of variation between years and engine so best to check your manual.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the xfer case fluid it says.

When the manual says check a fluid, the FSM says to check for leaks and, if something is wet, check the level. Its not a chemical analysis :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963