6.7 Diesel or 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needing help! I am thinking I'm going to go to a HD, but I having a hard time deciding on which one will fit me better. I tow my jeep a couple times a year which is about 7500lbs with trailer and now I am probably buying a 4 seater utv which is about 1700lbs, so close to 9200lbs total and i tow about 1200 miles round trip up some pretty good grades. I also run a hunting ranch which during hunting season I haul alot of feed about 25 miles out.

Will also need to go with a 26 to 28' goose neck trailer which will be even heaver than my 20'.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The cummins sounds like the animal for you. I have the 6.4L, love it for what it does, but you'd be way better served by the cummins- it's a great power plant purpose bred for what you are wanting to do.

On a side note- is your jeep on tank tracks or have bullet proof plating?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honest opinion, if it's just a few times a year, and HD probably isn't even necessary. But if you want to go to HD route, I'd go with gas. Diesel is a whole different beast and it could get real expensive real quick. Diesels are really nice to have and I still miss mine but unless you really need one and towing a lot with it, they're really not worth it unless you really just "want" one!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either one will do the job. The cummins will net you about 2mpg better depending on your driving style and will never lack power towing your rig. The 6.4 will be 6-8k cheaper for same options and will lose some speed going up steep hills and will downshift to remain in the power band 4-5k rpm when doing so. If towing over mountains you may also find the gear hold feature. To my knowledge I may be the only owner here to trigger it, but it happens. It is surprising at first, and can be annoying if you are the kind of person who hates going slow. I have only triggered it on grades of 7% or higher, never on interstate grades, with 11,000+ lb 36' toyhauler. But I'm almost at 100% of my GCWR. Go with 4.10 gears if you do get a 6.4l truck.

If you put on a lot of miles or tow in the mountains, cummins. Be prepared to buy a OBDII reader to clear codes if you get a weak batch of def.

Now, the Cummins will still downshift if you tow where I tow. But where the hemi needs 2nd, the Cummins is in 4th. However, interior noise level in a cummins dragging a trailer up a pass at 2,400rpm is very similar in volume to a 6.4l at 4,200.

Good luck with your choice!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Taylo1

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
touchy subject, gas vs diesel....

JMO

the 6.4 will do it, no problem. the 6.7 will do it easier and cost you more money up front and throughout its life just because the "normal maintenance" things to do cost more. If your not sure if you NEED the 6.7 than it sounds like you are in the same boat I was.

I got the 6.4 and am happy with its performance. its all about what you want to pay for in the end.

JMO

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
just remember that each one will be better than the other in their own aspects.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's with the Trailer..... Made the correction, plus it was 1 a.m.

Whew.....gotcha........was gonna say, even if you had a full cage, heavy bumpers, 2 1/2 ton axles, 48" tires, it'd he hard to hit that number (unless it is a full size cherokee).

Was gonna ask for pics/specs......................

Last edited:

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For how much you say you'll be towing and hauling, the hemi will handle the loads and will cost less overall.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Once ST chimes in, the pages will add up fast on this one :)

For the weight & frequency, 6.4 will do....but the terrain is where you may want to look into the 6.7.

Fun times, buying a new truck, especially an HD!

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

For the weight & frequency, 6.4 will do....but the terrain is where you may want to look into the 6.7.

now now Mr. stoney :Nonono:

LOL :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Taylo1

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yea, I'm not going to get in a big hurry. just gonna gather as much info as I can and see what I can find. I know the end of the year is coming up, so that may make some better deals come alive. Talking to a few guys around town that have the 6.7.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
now now Mr. stoney :Nonono:

LOL :roflsquared:

Kind of surprised I was the first to make that comment!

Yea, I'm not going to get in a big hurry. just gonna gather as much info as I can and see what I can find. I know the end of the year is coming up, so that may make some better deals come alive. Talking to a few guys around town that have the 6.7.

I think the 2016 model year is done....only what you find on a lot is what there will be, or order a 2017.

OP
OP
Taylo1

Taylo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, I wish they would put the 8sd in the 6.4 HD, that would everything better.

Last edited: