6 spd questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn I thought I had low miles at 22000 and 3.5 years old...

and close to 1/2 of those miles are from several trips to FL from VA for family matters....otherwise, it'd be a lot less...probably less than 10k

Kytow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Better than mine! 2014 with 23k. Bought with 17k in February/March. Two long trips, one 1400 miles, the other 2000. My commute to work is 215 mi one way (once every 6 weeks or so)

Sent from somewhere with confusion.

OP
OP
W

wannahdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my fluid looks great, and doesn't smell burnt. I've got some of the PO service records so I know he did most of the required stuff. Plugs at 34k and 59k, tires, brakes, air filters, etc. No records of a trans service though. At least I don't have a copy of it...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah my fluid looks great, and doesn't smell burnt. I've got some of the PO service records so I know he did most of the required stuff. Plugs at 34k and 59k, tires, brakes, air filters, etc. No records of a trans service though. At least I don't have a copy of it...
I would do it now. It won't hurt anything and if you get a pan with a drain plug or use the B&M drain plug kit on the stock pan, you can do quick drain and fills to get a flushing effect...

Last edited:

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2 cents. These threads are a magnet for replies from newer RAM owners who will tell you you must trade your truck in for an 8 speed because if you don't you're driving a Toyota Prius. No.

Now I HAVE driven the 8 but I own a 6. What I did like about the 8 was it was spunkier in stop and go city driving from a dead stop. On the highway I felt no discernible difference when I was passing (I'm a country boy so it wasn't an issue for me). I've also been told the 8 at 392 is awesome for towing which I don't so I'll take their word for it.

And please don't listen to advice from the drag racers on this forum if you don't drag race. Anyway, the bottom line is that the difference between the 6 and 8 for the average Joe isn't really much. It's not "omg" like you're gonna hear in this thread. Want proof? Test drive them both.

OP
OP
W

wannahdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can usually discern from the big ***** Laramie owners who drive their trucks to starbucks, the guys who bought a brick but want to make it a bullet, and from the guys that use their trucks like I do. Nothing wrong with either, I don't care what ya do with your truck, I'm just saying i know what you mean roadshow...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye