6spd column shifting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for the life of me I cant figure out how to manually shift my truck. I've always used drive and buried the pedal when needed. I was told to hold the downshift button for a few seconds until it shifts into gear and the gear number appears on dash. Unsure if this is the only thing to do or if something is wrong with my truck?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you "hold the downshift button for a few seconds" the truck will go to First gear, which is Manual mode. Then you push the button in the + direction firmly and release it to shift up into the next gear. If you push and hold the upshift side of the button for a few seconds, it will shift all the way to Drive and it will be in full Auto mode.

The button will allow you to shift up and down as you please. As you start using it just pay attention to the RPM's. Eventually you'll get the feel for when to shift up and down just by sound and feel.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks maddog! Still nothing for me. Time to do some research on what could be the problem.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure it's in drive when you try to shift. Mine is pretty finicky, seems like I have to press it pretty hard to get it to change gears. Whatever you do don't be going 50+ miles an hour and decide to hold the downshift button down, I did that once and it slammed into 1st gear lol.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure it's in drive when you try to shift. Mine is pretty finicky, seems like I have to press it pretty hard to get it to change gears. Whatever you do don't be going 50+ miles an hour and decide to hold the downshift button down, I did that once and it slammed into 1st gear lol.

Thanks. I understand not to try at high speed. It wont let me do it even if im in drive at idle. Not sure whats going on, it does absolutely nothing. I could hold the down arrow for a minute and no gear number comes on dash.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why don't you take a pic of this button you are pushing...

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's should be a + and - button on your column shifter, not an arrow

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if he's pressing the up and down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel for the menus lol

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im not that illiterate i know the difference between the shift column and turn signal lol i was holding the button down for a minute when i took picture.

Attachments

• 1493412381913679300461.jpg
    1493412381913679300461.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 87

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, that's the right button. I wasn't thinking you were illiterate at all. My thought was, "Let's just start here."

So my next question is, as I am not up on the various options from 2013, did they build a 6-spd manual mode transmission for a 1500 with the 5.7L?

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure ive seen a bunch of videos on youtube and even asked a few people that shift manually with the column. I just know mines a 6spd cause i have the build sheet i printed from dodge. Everyone says just hold the minus button until it shifts into gear and the gear will be displayed on dash. Mine just does absolutely nothing. Makes me wonder if something is wrong with my transmission.

chrism1367

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be be the actual buttons are bad, don't think anything is wrong with your trans. Or maybe some type of switch

trip1027

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got the2012 5.7 and I don't hold it down I just simply tap the negative button once, it shows what gear it is in, then simply hit the plus or negative to the gear I need then when u put it in 6th gear then tap the positive again it goes into auto again numbers will disappear

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While in auto mode (D), if I hold my buttons down (column shifter lever)), nothing happens. I tap or momentary click and it goes into manual shift mode with the current gear range displayed. Tap and changes gear range. Holding down a button in manual mode causes the return to auto mode.

My rotary knob 8 speed is a little different in that when I hold the - button on the steering wheel, it goes right to first gear (or whatever one thats below red line rpm)

I think by holding instead of tapping, you are selecting auto mode, and if currently in auto mode there would be no change.

Otherwise you may have a bad switch, there seems to be a few of those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While in auto mode (D), if I hold my buttons down, nothing happens. I tap or momentary click and it goes into manual shift mode with the current gear range displayed. Tap and changes gear range. Holding down a button in manual mode causes the return to auto mode.

I think by holding instead of tapping, you are selecting auto mode, and if currently in auto mode there would be no change.

Otherwise you may have a bad switch, there seems to be a few of those.

What switch are you talking about? I tried tapping and still nothing, something is definitely wrong. The trans works great in all other aspects tho.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It could be the switch or the connection. If you reach up under the dash, the plug is on the right side of the column. It's a white connector with two black wires that run up to the switch on the shifter.

OP
OP
Fatboy57

Fatboy57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It could be the switch or the connection. If you reach up under the dash, the plug is on the right side of the column. It's a white connector with two black wires that run up to the switch on the shifter.

Thank you very much for your help. I traced the black wires to white plug and there was nothing plugged into it. The plug was actually ziptied over by stereo like someone didnt want that mode activated. Manual mode now works.. just in time too. Just got my tune from greene racing and even in drive its awesome but now that i can shift when at track or towing it will be much better.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Thanks. I understand not to try at high speed. It wont let me do it even if im in drive at idle. Not sure whats going on, it does absolutely nothing. I could hold the down arrow for a minute and no gear number comes on dash.

Your colum shifter is bad; run down to the dealer and see how much to replace it. Good luck and keep us posted.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you very much for your help. I traced the black wires to white plug and there was nothing plugged into it. The plug was actually ziptied over by stereo like someone didnt want that mode activated. Manual mode now works.. just in time too. Just got my tune from greene racing and even in drive its awesome but now that i can shift when at track or towing it will be much better.

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it was that easy. Us column shift guys gotta stick together. [emoji6]

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Colum shifter and a Jay tune :) Yeah Bobby. Congratulations and Enjoy...