911...help a brother out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'm stumped on this one.
I swapped in a SSBC front big brake kit today and matching rear rotors. It's a straightforward swap up front....remove the calipers as a unit, swap rotors, install new calipers as a unit. No sensors were touched and all wiring looks to be fine to the eye. Same for the rear...simple rotor swap...nothing out of the ordinary.
Here's the issue....the stability control light on the lower right of the dash is on and the damned brake lights are stuck on.
If I knew what sensor or issue would cause that I could fix it a lot quicker....
Any help is appreciated.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would look at the brake switch, perhaps when bleeding the brakes you push the pedal to hastily and it became stuck? i havent looked at the switch on these trucks yet but if its a plunger type i could see it happening. the trucks sees the pedal as fully depressed yet the wheels are turning. just a thought

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Good thought....thanks.

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
You nailed it...damned brake switch isn't depressing all the way when you let off the pedal. Easy fix.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Well that was easy. Glad you got it figured out so quick.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would look at the brake switch, perhaps when bleeding the brakes you push the pedal to hastily and it became stuck? i havent looked at the switch on these trucks yet but if its a plunger type i could see it happening. the trucks sees the pedal as fully depressed yet the wheels are turning. just a thought

NICE troubleshooting!!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please let us know how well those brakes work over stock I am kinda courious now.

OP
OP
UNBROKEN

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
They're pretty bad ass....I'm impressed so far.

A little info about that switch. I had a guy at work do the brake pedal the old fashioned way while I worked the bleeders. I'm thinking he grabbed the pedal with his toe and pulled it back. On the switch there's a pin that sticks out. When you let off the pedal it gets pressed in and kills the lights. I got to poking around at it and got my finger in there and I'll be damned if I didn't press it in further making the problem worse.
So....I grabbed a flathead and pried the thing back out...it apparently has detents in it somewhere because I could feel it snapping into each notch as I pried on it. I got it out 3-4 notches and it's perfect now.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is good to know cause I know eventually I'll have to do brakes on mine one day.

DisturbedGator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
glad i could help, brake lights staying on gave me the hunch

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You 4th gen guys should look into how they grafted the SRT brakes on to that Urban Ram. They look like SRT-10 brakes to me, but one article I read said they were from the Grand Cherokee SRT. Either way is an improvement, might be worth investigating.

09SMOKINHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good job disturbed gator

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

moparbay

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7l
I'm stumped on this one.
I swapped in a SSBC front big brake kit today and matching rear rotors. It's a straightforward swap up front....remove the calipers as a unit, swap rotors, install new calipers as a unit. No sensors were touched and all wiring looks to be fine to the eye. Same for the rear...simple rotor swap...nothing out of the ordinary.
Here's the issue....the stability control light on the lower right of the dash is on and the damned brake lights are stuck on.
If I knew what sensor or issue would cause that I could fix it a lot quicker....
Any help is appreciated.

Sorry to go off topic but i remember you mentioning there were some fittment/interference issues with the SSBC brake kit when you first tried to install them (on a different forum) and that SSBC was going to remedy the issue. I am glad to see that SSBC has fixed the issue for you. Can you let us know what caused the original interference issue and if you know what SSBC did to fix the issue? Thanks