About to order a 2018!! Last minute questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I'm a 1-2 days away from ordering my 2018 from the factory. It's fully loaded and I've got my dealer down to a very low price. With the price agreed on, there are (3) items from my "Dream Truck" which haven't been factored in:

- Mopar Tri-fold Tonneau cover
- Mopar Cold-Air Intake
- 2" Level

My dealer is going to call back tomorrow with a price on how much those will cost ( with discounts since I'm buying a truck ). My questions are:

1. Mopar Tri-fold Tonneau cover
- Do you guys like it? Is it a solid choice, or is there another clear winner in the tonneau cover world? ( new to owning a truck/tonneau covers ).

2. Mopar Cold-Air Intake
- Is it too loud on its own ( i.e. without cat-back exhaust)? Loud when cruising at highway speeds?

3. Leveling a new truck
- Do you guys recommend leveling a new truck by 2" in the front? Does it make the road harder to see in front of you? Anything I need to consider here (known issues, disadvantages)? Worth it or unnecessary?

4. 3.27 vs 3.92
- I'm not towing and I don't really want to lose fuel efficiency by going 3.92. However, I live in Canada and I'm wondering if the 3.92 will help in snowy situations? ( I'm getting the anti-spin differential ) I can be convinced either way - any strong opinions here?

Many thanks, guys! I'll post pics when it arrives!
Yak

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fuel mileage between the gears is minimal-
Personally I would get 392"s-

I would be weary of the lvling kit-
Much better after market applications.

As for the CAI-
I can only imagine the "Varam" cai has better cold air draw than the moose one that pulls from the tiny vents on the hood.
Being in Canada and in the snow- I would be weary of those two types of cai as you are likely to have issues with the snow packing in the air inlets.
Best of luck and keep us posted-
Might I suggest running boards while I are at it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go with 3.92 gears - mpg seems to be virtually the same and, if for no other reason, many people want it on resale.

Tonneau covers are such a personal choice thing. I love my roll up but it really just depends on how secure and water-proof you want it to be.

I'm no help on the cold-air intake.

The level is also kind of a personal choice. You can always do it later. Even with the deal you're working now I can't imagine it's a huge amount of $$ one way or the other.

transam210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the Mopar trifold soft cover, my dealership gave it to me for purchasing my Ram Rebel. Though I would prefer a hard cover this is a nice thick fabric material, haven't any issues with fading a year later and I actually like it a lot. As far as gears 3.92 is the way to go and as far as Intake I use K&N but I know a lot of people like the Mopar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For leveling, do it right the first time and avoid spacers and get the Bilstein 5100 struts.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Yeah as far as leveling or lifting goes I'd go with an aftermarket solutions other than spacers have em in my truck it rides like ****

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Know nothing about CAI or levelling kits but I don't like the Mopar tonneau cover, hard cover sits too high. I went with the Undercover Flex and love it

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in Canada?

There's that stupid sale on right now where you get 25% off in stock trucks. Sure, it's a 2017,but that's a 15k difference in price...

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To answer your question about the MOPAR tri-fold cover, it is a very good cover. Their downside has been that they have been pricey. But they are built and work well, pretty much waterproof even in highway downpours. There are advantages and disadvantage to the trifold style, dozens of threads in the exterior sub forum, but those that have the MOPAR seem to be satisfied with it. I like the MOPAR hard cover version better, in the past I've had way too many aftermarket soft covers collapse or be damaged by snow load.

392s will hurt more than help in snow. 392s will help you get a large heavy trailer moving. Otherwise its just for fun. I have 321s, coupled with the 8 speed, it works great. If you do a lot of cross country interstate type diving, 321s will be easier on the drivetrain.

I think CAIs are a waste of money, but thats just me.

Last edited:

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
3.21 gears are going to be better for mileage; you can't argue the math on this one. You will love the truck with 3.21s if you don't tow anything heavy.

I have and love the Bilstein 5100s on front and rear. Did the switch on a two week old truck. Parts and labor about $800.

As for CAI, it will have a VERY small impact on the truck's performance if you aren't doing full exhaust and tune. I'd suggest that you save your money.

I'm not familiar with the Mopar tonneau. I have the Undercover Ultra Flex and like it.

tonys ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a retrax. Pricey but real nice custom looking roll up cover. It's hard, holds some weight like snow with no problem. Also locks. You can adjust how far to open and locks in place. Also seals very well...no water gets in.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
If you're factory ordering your dream truck you might as well have the best of the best and everything you want.... my take is this

Tonneau cover- Mopar brand is fine, but depending on what you use your bed for I'd highly consider a rolling cover rather then a trifold. The trifold covers are fine if you never load anything that sits higher then your box, but if you do, those extra folding panels have nowhere to conveniently go. I have always used the Truxedo lo-pro on all my trucks. Just a personal choice.

Intakes- I wouldn't pay mopars premium compared to other Brands. They all do the same thing at the end of the day so i suppose you can't really go wrong. My top 3 would be vara ram, volant, and S&B.

Levelling kit- Skip the spacers and go with the Bilstein 5100's. Your truck will thank you for it over the long term and so will your butt. They aren't all that expensive and your ride will be greatly increased, This is the only true proper way to level our trucks, and from an engineering point of view they make spacers look silly.

best of luck with your purchase, I just recently switched from GM to a new 17' Ram and couldn't be happier

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
as far as tonnau covers go take a look at a retractibal sliding cover they can be pricey but they last Forever

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3.21 gears are going to be better for mileage; you can't argue the math on this one. You will love the truck with 3.21s if you don't tow anything heavy.

I have and love the Bilstein 5100s on front and rear. Did the switch on a two week old truck. Parts and labor about $800.

As for CAI, it will have a VERY small impact on the truck's performance if you aren't doing full exhaust and tune. I'd suggest that you save your money.

I'm not familiar with the Mopar tonneau. I have the Undercover Ultra Flex and like it.

Math is one thing....reality is another.

I have a 2012 with the 6 speed trans, which gets worse mpg compare to the 8 spd....and I have 3.92 gears.

I routinely get 20+ on the highway, and get the same in the city as everyone else for the most part. I say most part, as I don't drive it much, but when I do, my foot gets heavy if it's been awhile.

3.92s tho may very well hurt you more in snow & ice...depending on how you drive.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i live in north jersey, higher numerical have never "hurt" m in the snow and ice.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I wouldn't do any of those things if its rolled into the purchase price because you will be financing and paying interest on a tonneau cover for up to 7 years. Save up and pay cash as you can. I also have a Truxedo lo-pro roll up and I like it.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on the deal he gets, 0 percent interest doesn't cost any financing money, dealer throwing it in for free doesn't cost a thing either. If he's paying 8% on a discounted cover, dunno, but he could put more money down to make up for it :)

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cant speak for the soft tonneau cover, I had a hard tilt up one on my Tacoma and really enjoyed the functionality. You really can't go wrong with the 3.92 gears, mpg difference really is minimal unless you like hitting the gas hard alot, and it is definately the best choice if you're going to do any kind of towing or even occasional off roading. 100% agree on the Bilstien 5100's being better for the truck than spacers, although I've had the 2 inch spacers on both my Tundra and now my Ram with no issues for a combination of over 100,000 miles, including no ball joint backing out or ride issues.....

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I have the factory tri fold cover and it works very well.

Also have the 3.92 gears, would not trade them for 3.21's

Look into S&B CAI since you are in Canada