AC fan low output

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16ramsportjc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone have experience with the ram AC not blowing really cold when at idle? My Chevy and fords blew cold all the time unless the compressor shut off even then it kept the cab very comfortable.

2nd, anyone rewire the fan to blow harder or spin faster? Seems like the ram has a very slow motor and doesn't blow as hard as any vehicle I have been in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm assuming you have a 4 speed fan ?
My 14 Ram 1500 has the 7speed fan , I rarely run it above 5 as the 6 & 7 speeds will part your hair
Mine blows cold all the time .

OP
OP

16ramsportjc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 Ram 1500 has the 7speed fan , I rarely run it above 5 as the 6 & 7 speeds will part your hair [emoji38]

No I have a 16 sport with 7 speed. XP ceramic tint 50% windshield, 35 all around. Keeps the heat at bay for az, but I notice idle, air turns warm, and my Chevy blew harder than the dodge and I gotta keep it 5 or more in order to keep the cab cool.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Arizona .

I'm in the mountains of N.E. Tennessee , low 90s is about as hot as it gets here , so no issues with it blowing cold for me .

My fan blows really hard , in fact it's so loud @ #7 I have to turn up the radio and I turn the fan down when I'm on the the phone via blutooth.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the ram AC not blowing really cold when at idle? My Chevy and fords blew cold all the time unless the compressor shut off even then it kept the cab very comfortable.

2nd, anyone rewire the fan to blow harder or spin faster? Seems like the ram has a very slow motor and doesn't blow as hard as any vehicle I have been in.

Take it into the dealer - maybe you have low freon(?).

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Freon hasnt been used in cooling systems in YEARS.....lol. It destroys the earth's ozone layer.

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have issues with mine also Sometimes if I turn it off and back on again it blows cold. The dealership says nothing's wrong. Haha. Also I have the 7 speed fan and I feel it doesn't blow as hard as my 09 I had. I noticed it as soon as I bought the truck. The dealership says nothing's wrong. Of course. So I chalked it up to a poor design like the rear vents that hardly blow any air.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To get the most out of your ac your have to have it set on max and recirculating inside air. On the 8.4 you have to go into the ac and tap the max tab. As for the recirculate the button should be below the 8.4.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine blows plenty hard and cold. The only time it's less than stellar is if I shut it off to do an errand and then re-start 10 minutes later. Not as cold initially, but all my cars have done that.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Make sure you don't have a cabin air filter that needs replacing.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My 2013 with 4 speed fan has to be set in 3 most of the time to cool down the truck. It blows harder on the passenger side than the drivers side. I would guess that is because the fan is in the passenger side. To get any air moving to the back I have to turn the dial to the "feet". The same goes for the heat.. It's not terrible but not great either.

OP
OP

16ramsportjc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a design flaw. Poor fan blades and motor. Just takes forever to really cool the cab. Not horrid but for being 2016 I'd expect better.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
My 14 Ram 1500 has the 7speed fan , I rarely run it above 5 as the 6 & 7 speeds will part your hair

I thought the actual fan itself was the same in terms of output whether 4 speed or 7 speed? Just you had 3 extra speed adjustments with the 7 speed control between off and full high setting.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought the actual fan itself was the same in terms of output whether 4 speed or 7 speed? Just you had 3 extra speed adjustments with the 7 speed control between off and full high setting.
Correct, and you can change the 4 speed to 7 speed as well on 2013+ Rams.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn