Air Conditioning Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dan rolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This past winter I purchased a 2011 Ram 2500 Laramie (hemi). Well my normal commute is about 6 miles so I really don't drive all that much. However, the weather here in Virginia has finally gotten hot. My wife and I went on vacation this past weekend and took the truck. About an hour and a half the ac stopped blowing cold air, or should I say it was not blowing very hard. I can hear the fan working like it always does but the air just doesn't seem to be blowing as cold or as hard. We stopped to get something to eat and got back in and exact same thing. AC worked perfectly for about an hour to an hour and a half and then same results. On the way home the exact same issue. This time I just turned the fan off for a bit. About an hour later checked it and it blew ice cold air. I pulled the fan motor out and everything seems normal, nothing loose. I reached up into the ducts and did not fell anything dangling or blocking any of passages. Any suggestions on what to check next? Thank you in advance.

Dan

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a blend door or something is getting stuck or is broken. The easiest one to check is the recirculation door behind the glove box. You can check this by pushing the recirculation button with the lower glove box removed. It should rotate freely. If its getting stuck halfway your airflow will be diminished.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^ what he said, if the refrigerant is low, the evaporator can freeze up. If the truck AC leaves a bigger puddle of water under the truck after you shut it off, it's possible that happening. Another thing to check, when the airflow drops off, check the refrigerant lines under the hood for frosting/icing up