Another Story of Dealership Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dropped the truck off at 8am on Tuesday for some warranty work and remote start install. Service adviser told me they are giving me a rental and my truck should be done in about three hours.

The warranty issues they covered were one license plate light was out, grill was cracked and the chrome had bubbles in it, fold flat floor on drivers rear was broken.

It took about two hours for Enterprise to have a car ready for me. A Hyundai Accent LOL. No biggie I appreciate the fact they gave me a car at all. I was hoping for a dealership loaner but they ran out.

At about 3pm my adviser called and said they need the truck overnight. Couldn't get a grill in time to have it done that day. Also, no biggie but I ended up not getting the truck back for three days and got no explanation of why. He told me that they saved me like $600 so.....

When I go to pick the truck up, they threw away the factory parts even though I told him I want them all back. They also threw away my non remote start key fob.
The license plate light still didn't work. They noted that because I put LEDs in them that they wouldn't perform any work. So I get my service adviser to come outside and I show him whats wrong with them. I swap the LEDs side to side and both work... Then I swap the plugs and the working light swaps sides. Obviously the plug is bad. So he goes inside and brings me a new plug. Took about two minutes to fix it. Really guys??

I also printed out the remote start instructions so I can double check their work before I take the truck back. They scratched the living hell out of the B pillar cover under the seatbelt on the drivers side. Huge gouges all over. You can see where a trim tool was shoved into the weather stripping and then dragged across the plastic. At first he didn't believe that they weren't already there. But I showed him the passenger side which was perfect. I also pulled up the instructions page that shows they touched it installing the remote start.
Fortunately they ordered me a new one on their dime.

Overall I guess its going to work out for the best. But I'm not exactly thrilled at how I was treated by these guys. And very unhappy they damaged my truck in the first place.

Ill snap a photo of my trim after I am off work.

ALSO, Is it true I can not use the original key fobs that came with the truck now? I don't care if they have remote start I just don't want to throw three (well, now two I guess) keys away.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a junkyard dog parts swapper masquerading as a dealership tech worked on your truck

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a junkyard dog parts swapper masquerading as a dealership tech worked on your truck

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_165943578.jpg
    IMG_20170818_165943578.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_20170818_165936035.jpg
    IMG_20170818_165936035.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 379

jamestaylor47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow. In their defense tho anything that's under warranty through Chrysler the parts department has to send in as an "exchange" for the new parts they put on the vehicle or the dealership has to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. In their defense tho anything that's under warranty through Chrysler the parts department has to send in as an "exchange" for the new parts they put on the vehicle or the dealership has to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense. I just figured that they would put the new parts on and then send them in? Didn't know they had to exchange them. I would have appreciated my adviser telling me that. I expected it to take a few hours like he said.

Overall not a huge deal like I said. I am happy to have the truck back. Once the trim piece is replaced I will hopefully not have to deal with them for a long time.

Something I didn't mention, when I was waiting for a rental at enterprise there were about six or seven people from the dealer. I was the first to get signed in and waiting for a car but I was like the fourth person to leave. The first two people left with Ford Expeditions. The guy before me left with a Caravan. I got a Hyundai Accent? Damn it! That car was so awful! Never knew anyone made a car so terrible. That was so funny driving around in it though. No tint... I felt like I was in a fish bowl and everyone was laughing at a grown man driving that LOL.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to believe a tech could be so careless or just plain incompetent, but it happens. Harder and harder to get good help.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
91236d1503101791-another_story_dealership_woes-img_20170818_165936035.jpg

91235d1503101762-another_story_dealership_woes-img_20170818_165943578.jpg

I'd be completely livid. WTF? Did the tech even use a panel popper or a metal hanger from the uniform company? *When they paired the other key fob(s) (you did get TWO fobs for the new setup, correct?) to the truck it made the old set useless, but not truly "useless". They're supposed to surrender all old parts. Nobody, not even the one I work for is allowed to throw out a single thing until AFTER the customer has had the vehicle back, and even then we can't just toss things out until like a week later.

Were the fobs in great condition? I see what MdMassey is saying but IMHO instead anyone wanna bet the used car manager got hands on them and will use them to pair to a used car/truck they only have one key for so they can save money and not have to expense out (due bill) a single fob?

Go back and raise hell.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Throw away those high dollar key fobs..lol I really doubt that happened.
Sounds like that dealers nothing but a crook.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
91236d1503101791-another_story_dealership_woes-img_20170818_165936035.jpg

91235d1503101762-another_story_dealership_woes-img_20170818_165943578.jpg

I'd be completely livid. WTF? Did the tech even use a panel popper or a metal hanger from the uniform company? *When they paired the other key fob(s) (you did get TWO fobs for the new setup, correct?) to the truck it made the old set useless, but not truly "useless". They're supposed to surrender all old parts. Nobody, not even the one I work for is allowed to throw out a single thing until AFTER the customer has had the vehicle back, and even then we can't just toss things out until like a week later.

Were the fobs in great condition? I see what MdMassey is saying but IMHO instead anyone wanna bet the used car manager got hands on them and will use them to pair to a used car/truck they only have one key for so they can save money and not have to expense out (due bill) a single fob?

Go back and raise hell.

I was thinking exactly that. That's why I wanted all the original parts back. When the truck is out of warranty and the remote start stops working I was going to swap everything back to original and use my old keys. If that ever happened I'd have a backup.

At the very least when my keys get old and worn I can swap the plastic covers on the keys.

I bought the remote start from allpar. OEM kit with two brand new keys.

The truck has 16k miles on it so all three keys that came with it are basically brand new. Still can't believe they tossed the one I came in with.

As for the damage they caused, you can see where they used a trim tool. Looks about the same width as the metal snap on ones I have. Pure carelessness. And they thought I wouldn't notice?

I'm going to have some words with the service manager when I go in to have the panel replaced. They just sent me a review email. I'll give them a chance to make it right before I fill it out.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Your old key fobs would be useless unless you want them for decoration or to save the plastic bits. Once a key fob has been programmed to a WCM/RF HUB they can't be programmed to another one.

So I highly doubt they're ending up on eBay.

Someone definitely gouged the crap out of that panel. Why they would even touch the B-pillar is beyond me. I've installed tons of factory remote starts and never had to go anywhere near the B-pillar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your old key fobs would be useless unless you want them for decoration or to save the plastic bits. Once a key fob has been programmed to a WCM/RF HUB they can't be programmed to another one.

Cool thank you for that information. Guess I have two decorations now

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Cool thank you for that information. Guess I have two decorations now

Can hang them on your tree at Christmas time.

Out of curiosity what year is your truck?

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So I highly doubt they're ending up on eBay.

I used to "recondition" old fobs and sell them on eBay. They fetch between 60-100 depending on the fob. Until I lost my connection at a local wrecking yard I made quite a good penny on them.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Interesting, if they were installing a remote start there would be no reason to remove that B-pillar trim, so I wonder why they even touched it. The RF hub and antenna are behind the driver rear seat. The hood switch and wiring (if not factory installed), goes from the hood latch to the BCM which is under the dash on the driver side.

Did they do anything else that would require the B pillar being removed?

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Interesting, if they were installing a remote start there would be no reason to remove that B-pillar trim, so I wonder why they even touched it. The RF hub and antenna are behind the driver rear seat. The hood switch and wiring (if not factory installed), goes from the hood latch to the BCM which is under the dash on the driver side.

Per instructions provided by our site supporter allpar.

Attachments

• IMG_20170819_232821258.jpg
    IMG_20170819_232821258.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 50

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Per instructions provided by our site supporter allpar.

Well that's interesting, I've installed tons of factory remote starts and never had to go near the B pillar.

Must have had an inexperienced guy doing it.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

After reading the instructions again I really don't know why they touched the b pillar. It's on page 12 of the install manual. It says a pillar and b pillar panels must be removed. But it really doesn't say why. No wires need to be ran through there. And my truck was pre-wired for it. As in the hood latch was plug and play.