Anti-spin identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Potentialramowner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello Ram community, this is my first post. I'm now truck shopping and am considering a used 2015 or 2016 Ram. I've searched for my answer and couldn't find it, so here goes..

Since dealers are not going to allow me to jack the truck up and spin the wheels, is there an axle code/sticker that says whether or not the truck has the anti-spin rear diff? We get lots of snow here so I'd like to have the anti-spin.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I got a list of all used rams at my two closest dealers. I made an excel spreadsheet and rated each. I got my number 1 choice. My columns were:

Year, Price, Cab size (Crew/Quad), Bed, Bed Liner, Edition, Color, Mileage, Stock Number (dealers lookup number), VIN, Transmission, Axle Ratio, Towign limit, Tank size, Seats (with seat options), Stereo (8.4/5/...), Blutooth, Remote Start, Navi Capable, Backup Camera, Light housing (projector/quad), Mirrors (heated, power), parking assist.

I used the VINs from the websites to look up all this information on the build sheet website, everything will be listed under standard and optional list. Once I did this, it was clear that the tuck I got was by far the best option (I have now had the truck a week).

OP
OP
P

Potentialramowner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I can't get the link to work. Can someone run it for me? The VIN is 1C6RR7MT3GS129348

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to delete the x"s out of the link and paste in the vin u want to look at - Here is the vin you asked to have looked up

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 150

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dunno why it came out blurry, but for some reason the window sticker doesn't really have any info on it, there is no mechanical info except it's a 5.7 with the 8 speed, doesn't list the gears or the diff type-
There is a link for a actual build sheet, I don't remember what it is - but if u search the forum for "Build sheet" it should pop up

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's not hard to add the stock clutch limited slip to the truck,so make that a condition of the sale.Get the dealer to install it,before you buy the truck.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not hard to add the stock clutch limited slip to the truck,so make that a condition of the sale.Get the dealer to install it,before you buy the truck.

I don't know much about these axles (I know Dana axles), it doesn't require a new carrier?

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My axel has a tag on the driver's side that's shows it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't know much about these axles (I know Dana axles), it doesn't require a new carrier?
It's a complete non-serviceable carrier assembly.You re-use the ring gear,but the carrier itself is replaced as a unit

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a complete non-serviceable carrier assembly.You re-use the ring gear,but the carrier itself is replaced as a unit

Yes, but I assume, as with data axles, there are shims. If so, the installer has to use shims to get the correct backlash. Although this is much easier than having to setup the pinon gear, it is still something the average service tech wouldn't do frequently enough for me to trust.

Especially since, I've had experienced installers charge $250 per axle for new gears and carrier setup (and I'm in NYC area).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yes, but I assume, as with data axles, there are shims. If so, the installer has to use shims to get the correct backlash. Although this is much easier than having to setup the pinon gear, it is still something the average service tech wouldn't do frequently enough for me to trust.

Especially since, I've had experienced installers charge $250 per axle for new gears and carrier setup (and I'm in NYC area).

It's your call,but i'd trust the dealer to do this pretty easily.If a dealer does it,it should have a warrenty on the installation. Point us to these experienced installers who'd have more experience on the 9.25 ZF diff then the tech who you think doesn't know anything. Not many experienced ZF installers as far as I know,the diff is only in 2012 and up Trucks,and not many installers get a chance to work on the diffs,as most go through warrenty,but as I said it's your call.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I had 2 Rams without limited slip, never again! Also will never buy one with less than 3.92 gears. Different applications for different needs, but these are trucks, not Camry's

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's your call,but i'd trust the dealer to do this pretty easily.If a dealer does it,it should have a warrenty on the installation. Point us to these experienced installers who'd have more experience on the 9.25 ZF diff then the tech who you think doesn't know anything. Not many experienced ZF installers as far as I know,the diff is only in 2012 and up Trucks,and not many installers get a chance to work on the diffs,as most go through warrenty,but as I said it's your call.

I do not believe service techs are clueless. I am just pointing out to the OP that I believe gear work is a specialty (I have setup more than 15 jeeps with gears, lockers, spools, welded spider gears with my jeep club). Yes, there are subtle differences between axles, but basically all axles rely on the same concept. For a vehicle that could be potentially towing at high speeds, I suggest going to experienced gear shops. Locally you will be able to find racing shops, off road shops, driveline shops (they do big rigs and driveshafts). These guys know gear setups.

A broken ring gear tooth caught between the ring gear and pinion gear will lock up the axle at high speed.

I suggest to the OP, if you want a LSD, either get the truck with it, or take it to a local shop that is experienced in gear work. Who knows, local dealers may actually subcontract out axle work (I know in the past jeep dealers only replaced entire axle assemblies, or used local axle shops), just like internal transmission work (replace or subcontract).

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I do not believe service techs are clueless. I am just pointing out to the OP that I believe gear work is a specialty (I have setup more than 15 jeeps with gears, lockers, spools, welded spider gears with my jeep club). Yes, there are subtle differences between axles, but basically all axles rely on the same concept. For a vehicle that could be potentially towing at high speeds, I suggest going to experienced gear shops. Locally you will be able to find racing shops, off road shops, driveline shops (they do big rigs and driveshafts). These guys know gear setups.

A broken ring gear tooth caught between the ring gear and pinion gear will lock up the axle at high speed.

I suggest to the OP, if you want a LSD, either get the truck with it, or take it to a local shop that is experienced in gear work. Who knows, local dealers may actually subcontract out axle work (I know in the past jeep dealers only replaced entire axle assemblies, or used local axle shops), just like internal transmission work (replace or subcontract).

You are a little bit of a fear monger aren't you. When is the last time you seen a broken tooth on a ring gear on a street driven truck from towing.You been out in the woods to long rock crawling,as those are the only guys who might break a ring or pinion.Quit trying to scare the OP with ******** stories,the dealer is a perfectly fine choice to install a limited slip unit,they do them fairly often under warrenty,and a lot of dealerships have 1 tech who specializes in driveline components.