Anyone Buy New Recently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like it's been a while since we've discussed the deals going on out there. Is the infamous "20% off MSRP" still happening for anyone?

I just had another dealership basically laugh me out the door at the idea of 20% off (this has now happened more times than I can count in the last year). The best I'm seeing in my area is about 15-16% off. With the advice of others on this forum, I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I pay anything more than 20%.

Disclaimer......I've been in contact with Dennis Dillon. I'm just curious what everyone is getting in their local areas?

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like it's been a while since we've discussed the deals going on out there. Is the infamous "20% off MSRP" still happening for anyone?

I just had another dealership basically laugh me out the door at the idea of 20% off (this has now happened more times than I can count in the last year). The best I'm seeing in my area is about 15-16% off. With the advice of others on this forum, I feel like I'm getting ripped off if I pay anything more than 20%.

Disclaimer......I've been in contact with Dennis Dillon. I'm just curious what everyone is getting in their local areas?

Are you wanting new only?? I personally NEVER buy new, because although it may be used with low miles, it is a HELL of a lot more than 20% off MSRP. :favorites13:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go to Dennis Dillon Ram website and you'll see "sale prices" in the 20% off MSRP range. For the most part ignore the "as low as" price. I've heard those prices virtually impossible to get. But, the standard "sale price" is pretty good for comparison shopping. It doesn't hurt to take that into your dealer and tell them just may be planning a trip to Idaho.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you wanting new only?? I personally NEVER buy new, because although it may be used with low miles, it is a HELL of a lot more than 20% off MSRP. :favorites13:

Yes, I've been focusing on new because these trucks (new) seem to be heavily discounted but I haven't completely ruled out used.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to Dennis Dillon Ram website and you'll see "sale prices" in the 20% off MSRP range. For the most part ignore the "as low as" price. I've heard those prices virtually impossible to get. But, the standard "sale price" is pretty good for comparison shopping. It doesn't hurt to take that into your dealer and tell them just may be planning a trip to Idaho.

Yep, that's good advice and I've actually done that exact thing a few times in the last several months. Each time the local salesmen look at the Dillon price and tell me they can't get anywhere near it. I'm sure that I'll ultimately buy from Dillon but it would be nice to buy locally if I could.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought mine new and I feel like I got a good deal. But I have a friend that works at a dealership in finance and she said that next time I ask to see the invoice and say I'll pay $1k BELOW that. She said it works like a charm.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer that I just ordered from gives 20% off msrp, but that includes all rebates and you need to qualify for them. I didn't qualify for one, so that is 1K I didn't get, so not quite 20% off for me but close. I also opted not to use their financing, so I lost another 500 rebate, but I made up for that and more with a much better rate from a credit union.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I just bought new on the 16th of June. My dealer has the same incentives all year. Just over 18,000 off MSRP

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Just gotta shop around. Not every dealer is hungry and if they are moving them close to MSRP, why would they discount more?

I shopped the Philly area here and got nothing but full MSRP. Went across the river to a rural NJ dealership and got 17% of MSRP and made the deal.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in Georgia. Invoice 50,300 - so I got 20% off

I wasn't going in for a 2500 Big Horn but the price and options got me ... how do you think I did on the price?
$39,524 Price Excluding misc fees
$598 - admin.
$40,122 Subtotal
-1,600 - Trade in 2000 Dakota with 210,000 miles
38,522 - Final price excluding taxes/fees

So the number to focus on is the subtotal.
This 6.47L Big Horn 4x4 has everything except a bed liner. It is even prepped for a fifth wheel.

Big
Horn Badge
180 Amp Alternator
115V Auxiliary Power Outlet
Folding Flat Load Floor Storage
Integrated Voice Command w/Bluetooth
Trailer Tow Mirrors
GPS Antenna Input
Media Hub
Uconnect Access
Power Lumbar Adjust
Next Generation Engine Controller
Charge Only Remote USB Port
Bright/Bright Billets Grille
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio Controls
Rear 60/40 Split Folding Seat
Exterior Mirrors w/Supplemental Signals
Front Center Seat Cushion Storage
5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing Prep Group
Radio: Uconnect 8.4
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
Center Hub
Engine: 6.4L V8 Mid Duty HEMI MDS
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Wheels: 18" x 8.0" Polished Aluminum
Hemi Badge
Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Bench Seat
Power Black Trailer Tow Mirrors
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic

ParkSense Rear Park Assist System
Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps
Electronically Controlled Throttle
Underhood Lamp
Clearance Lamps
Big Horn Regional Package
GVWR: 10,000 lbs
Front Armrest w/Cupholders
Storage Tray
Exterior Mirrors w/Heating Element
40/20/40 Split Bench Seat
Nav-Capable! See Dealer for Details
6 Month Trial
Remote Start System
Black Exterior Mirrors
Remote SD Card Slot
ParkView Rear Back-Up Camera
Quick Order Package 22Z Big Horn
Fog Lamps
50 State Emissions
8.4" Touchscreen Display
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
For Details Visit DriveUconnect.com
Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Power 10-Way Driver Sea
Step Rails

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. I managed to find a used 5.7L 2012 SLT long bed with 20" wheels in 2015 with only 34,000 km on it for 21,700 plus tax. Good luck getting anything remotely approaching that price on a new.

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Finding used trucks over the last couple years has been tough. Purchasing (and manufacturing) really slowed during the recession so there just aren't as many 3-5 year old trucks as there normally would be. Low supply + high demand = ridiculous prices so many just buy new. I bought just over 2 years ago and looked used briefly. The prices were nearly as new. I also find it difficult to find a used vehicle that some kid hasn't lifted, put big mud tires on and beat the hell out of.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finding used trucks over the last couple years has been tough. Purchasing (and manufacturing) really slowed during the recession so there just aren't as many 3-5 year old trucks as there normally would be. Low supply + high demand = ridiculous prices so many just buy new. I bought just over 2 years ago and looked used briefly. The prices were nearly as new. I also find it difficult to find a used vehicle that some kid hasn't lifted, put big mud tires on and beat the hell out of.

This is absolutely the case in my area. I'm looking for a Sport CC 4x4 and it's been hard to find one that wasn't a former rental. Most of the used trucks are either stripped down base models or they have a ton of miles. The trucks that have few miles and are loaded up on options are very close to the price of a new truck.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Couple months ago.... $4K in rebates. The MSRP was $30,745 and I paid $21K + tax.

I'd find what you want and then wait until the end of the month to do your shopping. I used Real Car to get an idea of what they are selling for and I used the online chat thing at the local high volume dealer to make an offer before making the trip. You have to be ready to walk, have your financing in place and don't confuse matters with a trade-in.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Dennis Dillon, Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho, or Lithia in Great Falls, Montana. I'm in Colorado and went to Lithia last fall because Colorado dealers won't budge on their prices. Got my 2015 Outdoorsman Eco Diesel for almost $6000 less than the best price of any dealer in Colorado and the truck I bought up there is better equipped.

OP
OP
G

Greeco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dennis Dillon, Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho, or Lithia in Great Falls, Montana. I'm in Colorado and went to Lithia last fall because Colorado dealers won't budge on their prices. Got my 2015 Outdoorsman Eco Diesel for almost $6000 less than the best price of any dealer in Colorado and the truck I bought up there is better equipped.

Yeah, I'm in Colorado also and have had no luck with the local dealers.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Lithia has a dealership in Billings as well. My father bought his 2012 from Lithia. Got a pretty good deal.

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
Lithia has a dealership in Billings as well. My father bought his 2012 from Lithia. Got a pretty good deal.

I found them much friendlier and more willing to work with at the Great Falls location. They don't like to do dealer swaps, even between their own locations. In fact, I got the sales manager to let my sales person drive my new one to Billings to meet me and save me 500 miles on my round trip.

If you deal with the Great Falls location ask for Kristina. She has a great attitude and will work with you, and her manager, to make the sale happen. My truck purchase was done by internet and phone and was a done deal before I even thought about heading north. They emailed me a signed deal sheet showing all the details and all the agreements between parties, including what they were paying me for my 2012 Ram based off of photos I sent them.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple months ago.... $4K in rebates. The MSRP was $30,745 and I paid $21K + tax.

I'd find what you want and then wait until the end of the month to do your shopping. I used Real Car to get an idea of what they are selling for and I used the online chat thing at the local high volume dealer to make an offer before making the trip. You have to be ready to walk, have your financing in place and don't confuse matters with a trade-in.
I need to move where you are, in Ontario you won't get a cent under 30k unless it's a base model ST

MR.Z06

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you keep the truck for a long time then buying new really isn't a bad idea.