Anyone Buy New Recently?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought in January. And got just over 10k off an msrp of 47k. Need to find a volume dealer. I didn't even haggle for the price I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Used trucks around here are way too close to the price of a steeply discounted new model. I had to drive 200+ miles to get my new truck since the local dealers won't deal.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
If you keep the truck for a long time then buying new really isn't a bad idea.

This is key...and I found it only applies if you buy right and the right models. I've run the numbers of cost per year & mile of my former cars and the ones that cost the most are the ones sold early (no surprise) and one used vehicle one that didn't last me that long, had expensive repairs, and sold for little resale.

My cheapest ride was a Dodge Caravan bought new and run for 14-years. I just bought a new replacement a couple months ago and I targeted the same base model vehicle new. Bought it for $16,571 + tax and plan on the wife driving it for the next 15-years (assuming she doesn't total it).

keithert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my 2016 for 10000 off of sticker. But today I took it to CarMax just to see what they would offer and they offered me ten thousand less than I paid a month ago. If I paid close to sticker for my Ram I would really be upside down.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I got my 2016 for 10000 off of sticker. But today I took it to CarMax just to see what they would offer and they offered me ten thousand less than I paid a month ago. If I paid close to sticker for my Ram I would really be upside down.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

That is the Achilles heel of buying and owning a RAM. They are so heavily discounted most times, that they dive like a rock for trade-in value. That is why it is a heavy "stupid-tax" to not get the right one out the gate and trading off early is a heavy penalty.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is the Achilles heel of buying and owning a RAM. They are so heavily discounted most times, that they dive like a rock for trade-in value. That is why it is a heavy "stupid-tax" to not get the right one out the gate and trading off early is a heavy penalty.

literally just had this conversation with a co-worker who bought a tundra. North American manufactureres use the "inflated sticker price" model and then offer heavy discounts. In order to get a fair trade in on a newly acquired US brand, you need to know exactly how good of a deal you can get on it to narrow the purchase price / trade in value gap.

The guy with the tundra was talking about how great the re-sale value of his tundra will be and I agreed, until i told him that with his base model $36k truck would be a $40k stickered Ram. The ram should yeild a 20% discount ( at least 8k off ), with his tundra, he only got about $4k off.

Just for comparison, my wife and I are looking for a new SUV. Its between the grand cherokee limited or a honda pilot. The cherokee is about $45k on the sticker and the pilot is near $41K....similarly equipped. The pilot will likely only get us about $3k off ( so 38K plus tax ), the cherokee will get us about $7k off sticker ( so about $38k plus tax ). Will the pilot have a significantly higher trade in value in 5 years....maybe a little, but not by thousands.....same goes for the ram

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Chrysler products drop heavily the first 2 years, so if you buy new be prepared to hang on to them for at least 4 years. By then everything pretty much levels out.

Slick61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
...just bought 2 weeks ago... '16 Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4L 4x4 CCSB. Got about 23-24% off MSRP without any real negotiation. Would have bought used, but hard to find late model used with low mileage in Los Angeles... newer was cheaper...

ssilence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will chime in also. Bought a '16 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7L today and got it for 32% off MSRP. I couldn't believe that they were giving me this deal. This was all negotiated over the phone and through email. I made the 2 hour drive honestly thinking I would get there and they would say that there had been a mistake. But, nope...I was there less than 2 hours. This was before my trade-in and cash down. I am super excited!!!