Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not all transfer cases that have the auto selection suck like this one. My 07 Chevy 1500 had 4wd auto and it would truly lock together in 4hi and 4low. As did the early 4th gens with the auto function

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my Jeep locks in too automatically, as well as locking the rear dif, when set to snow mode, even before starting out. No spin required. It also locks when stabbing throttle. That auto t-case is the same one used by GM in their light trucks and under heavy 4H use it can overheat. 4L is just mechanically locked.

The BW is effective on the street, and my forgetful wife can just leave it in auto mode and avoid risk of lock damage.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks most have told you they don't suck. I'm on my second truck with this case and coming from a auto case on a 08 silverado. And plenty of 4wd before. This case works good no complaints. If you want to go rock crawling build a jeep.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks most have told you they don't suck. I'm on my second truck with this case and coming from a auto case on a 08 silverado. And plenty of 4wd before. This case works good no complaints. If you want to go rock crawling build a jeep.

Or if you want to make absolutely sure all 4 wheels have power, get a Power Wagon. Father picked up a 2016 Laramie Power Wagon, and in 4low, with all the diffs locked, you cant stop it.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the 4L mechanically lock things in our trucks? That'd be a solution to any issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does the 4L mechanically lock things in our trucks? That'd be a solution to any issues.
With the Borg Warner 44-44, the front drive shaft is always clutch driven, nothing mechanically locks.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yours locks into 4 wd, and stays locked in. You have to make sure you are on a slick surface. Your front end will bind turning on dry pavement in 4wd.

Not sure why people on ramforums love to parrot this statement but it isn't true. I've driven true locking 4wd for years and I've done it on partial slippery/partial dry country highways for years and never once damaged or strained anything. RAM service, independent off road shops and regular garages I've dealt with all said the same thing and the best reply I got was:

"wtf do you think people did before there was such a thing as AWD or 4 Auto? Run around blowing up transmissions everywhere?"

Try needing to drive through some soft uneven fields in the wet spring or fall and see how awesome a diff that doesn't truly lock is. :emotions34:

I'm obviously not saying everyone has to have that kind of transmission, but some of you do like saying you need an auto 4wd on roads that are partially dry which isn't true either. In fact the only time I've ever had mine bind a little was once, making a really tight series of turns in a cramped area that had ice. Another gem I see repeated besides the "binding/damage" statements was people claiming your tires wear more. Also not true.

What is true is that I personally have been stuck in soft mud on several occasions because I was in a vehicle that didn't lock all 4 wheels. Never once in a vehicle that did, never broke the transmission in either case.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have no complaints so far. My Ram only sees Tarmac / No off-roading what so ever. So my BW44-44 only has to operate in Snow/Ice.

Even though my RAM only has 21,000 miles on her at this time. She has been through two or three snow and ice storms. The first snow and ice storm the transfer case seemed to operate flawlessly in both auto and 4loc position. Did notice that the transfer case shifted in and out, sluggishly at times.

After the first winter I drained the transfer case and refilled with Amsoil multivehicle ATF just before the second winter. The next snow & ice storm I had to use the four-wheel-drive system a little more. This time I did notice the transfer case had much smoother operation it seemed. So far I am very pleased with the operation of the transfer case. And has never left me stranded yet. I do know using the proper tires plays a big part in this as well.

Next winter I will drain the transfer case again and refill with redline D4 ATF. There is strong information out there that the so-called special fluid for the BW44–44 is only Dex III equivalent.

Last edited:

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Man, I'm gonna say someone from Alaska is going to be a real good "tester" for this transfer case.

Lately (last few years) we haven't had much snow in Anchorage. Maybe 2 or 3 feet total, with a couple of days with 6". What snow we do get has melted & turned to ice, and stayed for awhile. 4 or 5 years ago, we had a total of 12 feet in town for the season. Now that would have been a good test.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure why people on ramforums love to parrot this statement but it isn't true. I've driven true locking 4wd for years and I've done it on partial slippery/partial dry country highways for years and never once damaged or strained anything. RAM service, independent off road shops and regular garages I've dealt with all said the same thing and the best reply I got was:

"wtf do you think people did before there was such a thing as AWD or 4 Auto? Run around blowing up transmissions everywhere?"

Try needing to drive through some soft uneven fields in the wet spring or fall and see how awesome a diff that doesn't truly lock is. :emotions34:

I'm obviously not saying everyone has to have that kind of transmission, but some of you do like saying you need an auto 4wd on roads that are partially dry which isn't true either. In fact the only time I've ever had mine bind a little was once, making a really tight series of turns in a cramped area that had ice. Another gem I see repeated besides the "binding/damage" statements was people claiming your tires wear more. Also not true.

What is true is that I personally have been stuck in soft mud on several occasions because I was in a vehicle that didn't lock all 4 wheels. Never once in a vehicle that did, never broke the transmission in either case.

I've had over 10 4wd. My point was he asked for the difference in the 2. I was giving it to him in a nutshell. if you're on dry pavement making a full turn it will bind. It won't do that in this auto case. I would bet part of the reason they made this case with a clutch, is because of new people bring there truck in saying it makes this binding feeling when I'm turning in 4wd. Not everybody buys a 4wd to try to get it stuck. They can all.get stuck.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had over 10 4wd. My point was he asked for the difference in the 2. I was giving it to him in a nutshell. if you're on dry pavement making a full turn it will bind.

what do you mean by full turn though? You mean the wheel turned to the max? if that's the case, that almost never happens in day to day driving. Basically the only time I would ever do that would be turning tight into a parking space or something and in that scenario how often are you doing that in 4wd?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what do you mean by full turn though? You mean the wheel turned to the max? if that's the case, that almost never happens in day to day driving. Basically the only time I would ever do that would be turning tight into a parking space or something and in that scenario how often are you doing that in 4wd?

Just enough of a turn to make the rpm of both fronts different.
I agree with you though. I once drove all around town in 4wd with my old Chevy by accident, in the middle of summer. I had no clue until I tried to park in a tight parking spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes pulling into a driveway, making a turn parking. I used to reach down and pull it out of 4 hi when the roads were getting patchy. And pull it back in when they were covered in snow. That's me though. I pretty much answered his question, about the auto case never have to worry about it.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes pulling into a driveway, making a turn parking. I used to reach down and pull it out of 4 hi when the roads were getting patchy. And pull it back in when they were covered in snow. That's me though. I pretty much answered his question, about the auto case never have to worry about it.

Well like I said, there's not really much in the way of scenarios where you're parking with the wheel cranked to the max in 4wd. Certainly not just pulling into a driveway. I've never even see a vehicle bind up doing that! I drive in on/off patchy stuff all the time here in 4 Hi rather than turning it on/off and never ran into issues. And like I also said, I've had enough people who work on that stuff for living tell me I don't need to worry about it either. The only reason you occasionally hear that stuff being bandied around web forums is because of all the city/suburbs people used to AWD vehicles and never knew anything different IMO.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got by fine in 4 lock with crappy Hercules highway tires when we took the truck out shooting a week ago. Was all snow covered dirt trails and grass. Just put it in 4 auto today to see how well it functions, and it's pretty seamless.

Has anyone every broken one of the t-cases? My parents' Navigator (03 5.4L) lives in auto
4wd half the year, and it has 200K miles with no drivetrain trouble. Not too worried about burning the clutches so long as it has good fluid and it's not abused.

How do you "add" 4 auto?

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well like I said, there's not really much in the way of scenarios where you're parking with the wheel cranked to the max in 4wd. Certainly not just pulling into a driveway. I've never even see a vehicle bind up doing that! I drive in on/off patchy stuff all the time here in 4 Hi rather than turning it on/off and never ran into issues. And like I also said, I've had enough people who work on that stuff for living tell me I don't need to worry about it either. The only reason you occasionally hear that stuff being bandied around web forums is because of all the city/suburbs people used to AWD vehicles and never knew anything different IMO.

I guess I didn't know what I was talking about. Sorry buddy my mistake. That just goes to show 52 years old and having over 10 4wd. One kinda bad 77 blazer I built. That a old dog can learn new tricks.. I'll go back and edit my post to say you can run 4 hi in any road condition..:favorites13:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How do you "add" 4 auto?
You don't. If you don't have the Auto 4X4 button, you have the Borg Warner 44-45 part time transfer case. The front shaft is not connected via a clutch pack like the 44-44.

Matty Moo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm happy with mine but the only time it sees any off-road action is the occasional muddy/wet clay job site in the spring. For road use it is perfectly fine.

My 14 saw two heavy winters and it was perfectly fine. My one week old 16 saw its first heavy snow today and did what it is supposed to. I have a feeling it was engineered for the road over off-road.

I could see it being an issue for oilfield service or something like that.

Reactions: SyN

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I didn't know what I was talking about. Sorry buddy my mistake. That just goes to show 52 years old and having over 10 4wd. One kinda bad 77 blazer I built. That a old dog can learn new tricks.. I'll go back and edit my post to say you can run 4 hi in any road condition..:favorites13:

You must be married, that's such an angry wife response :naughty:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm happy with mine. Works great, and I use 4 auto a lot.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Marty: I agree!

I do believe this transfer case was created for the grocery getter/Daily Comuter who sometimes needs a four-wheel-drive to help get them to and from. (those who very seldom leave the tarmac\interstate\highway/pavement). I am really curious just to see how deep of snow this transfer case would be able to handle (Non Off-Road) even though tires play a huge part in this as well.

It was definitely not created for the serious off-roader. These folks need to find a chain driven transfer case not the clutch type.

Last edited: