Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Selectable rear locker is an option on the new Ram..........little late to the party but a step in the right direction.

Only hope they apply this type approach to the new HD’s and an “off road” package.

Man Id love a lockable rear diff in my 2014. F-150 has had this as an option since 2009

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Selectable rear locker is an option on the new Ram..........little late to the party but a step in the right direction.

Only hope they apply this type approach to the new HD’s and an “off road” package.

Didn't the power wagons come with selectable lockers as standard. Thats a 2500 I think.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The regular 2500’s do not come with any lockers. But the limited slip (if equipped) and transfer case kind of do their best possible impression of a locker. It will never be as good as the real thing though. But in any “moderate” offroad situations, the truck will be fine. Especially with a good set of tires. And on solid surfaces the weight and brute force will be enough to get these through pretty much anything you could imagine. In bad weather I find myself purposely driving through bad **** in this truck (evil laugh). Closest thing you can do to offroading on your way to work in the winter!

I do think Ram will start offering real lockers in the 5th gen HD’s with the “offroad packages” as CumminsDriver said. I would be surprised if they did not. If they up their game on 1500 they will follow suit on the HD’s. Looking forward to seeing how Ram does the 5th gen Power Wagon. Should be a real beast.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you have some momentum, 4WD is not that big a deal, unless you are pushing a lot of snow/mud. But staring off on ice or snow or crawling over rocks, stiction is a big deal.

For example, as kids we used to plow through snow drifts and mud puddles with an old 2WD Vega, and we did fine. The limitation was ground clearance. :)

Just saying that for moderate off roading, using some good tires and skill and you do just fine, don't need 4WD or lockers. 4WD and other tools makes it a bit easier, however.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coming from a smaller truck (Nissan Frontier), Ive noticed my RAM in 2WD actually gets me a lot farther than the Frontier did. Things I had to use 4WD for before I dont find myself even bothering to put the RAM in 4-Auto. Deep snow, sure, but hopping curb to get into my yard, etc 2WD actually seems to work better than 4WD.

Im guessing just the sheer weight difference with the bigger truck helps keep everything planted better.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i didnt mean to derail this old thread but............if you’ve ever done some serious offroading being locked front and rear is a game changer, period. A rear locker alone is a tremendous help, thank you Toyota for having this 20 years ago!

Now to be fair, wheel’n open diffs is fun and really lets you “learn” the finer points in traction and throttle.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know the 44-44 to 44-45 swap has the issue shifting back to 2wd once 4lo is selected but im curious if anyone tried swapping a BCM from an Outdoorsman or Rebel? Dosent the Tcase get the shift commands from the BCM?
On my alfaobd app in the bcm I can change the transfer case type, I wonder if that would work for someone who was willing to go through the work of swapping the transfer cases.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
. A rear locker alone is a tremendous help, thank you Toyota for having this 20 years ago!

Now to be fair, wheel’n open diffs is fun and really lets you “learn” the finer points in traction and throttle.

To be fair, if you want to go off road with a truck, you need more than just lockers. Toyota was late in the game outfitting a proper truck, although there was some fun models. I mean power wagons have been around for 30-40 years, maybe more. They had lockers both ends and bunch of other useful thinks, like better springs for articulation. So years ago Toyota was just throwing a locker on a standard truck , which is a poor compromise.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be fair, if you want to go off road with a truck, you need more than just lockers. Toyota was late in the game outfitting a proper truck, although there was some fun models. I mean power wagons have been around for 30-40 years, maybe more. They had lockers both ends and bunch of other useful thinks, like better springs for articulation. So years ago Toyota was just throwing a locker on a standard truck , which is a poor compromise.

What in the world are you talking about? Anyone who actually goes ‘wheel’n knows you need a hellava lot more than lockers, my statement was a shot at Ram waiting so long to put a locker in something other than a Power Wagon. I wheeled a modded Taco and loved the fact you could get one with a locker from the factory, just like you could in a 4Runner and even the big tank of the Landcrusier. I mean dang, Ford has had a locker available in their 1/2 tons and HD’s for a while now. Not every truck needs to be a Power Wagon or Raptor the appreciate the added capability of a locker man.

Dont know what it's like in your neck of the woods but the overwheling majority of vehicles ive seen on trail rides were Jeeps and Yotas or buggies.

Sorry man, just cant wrap my head around a factory selectable option being called a compromise. Rant over

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my alfaobd app in the bcm I can change the transfer case type, I wonder if that would work for someone who was willing to go through the work of swapping the transfer cases.

Id love to know ‘cause if it works i’d swap my 44-44 for a 44-45 in a heartbeat.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Interesting!

Somewhat of a tangent - can that app read the knock sensor values? I believe there is a short term and long term knock value in the ECU, but none of the standard ODB apps seem to be able to read it.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Interesting!

Somewhat of a tangent - can that app read the knock sensor values? I believe there is a short term and long term knock value in the ECU, but none of the standard ODB apps seem to be able to read it.
If you can get it to connect to the ECU probably. When I try to connect mine it tells me it is a unknown ISO so I'm waiting for a update.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill start looking for a 44-45...........and hope the CFO gives me a green light

Last edited:

autumnwalker

Reaction score
Curious - if the work is going to be done to swap the 44-44 to a 44-45, are there better options than the 45 that can be dropped in? I'm thinking the electronics are the biggest hurdle.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Curious - if the work is going to be done to swap the 44-44 to a 44-45, are there better options than the 45 that can be dropped in? I'm thinking the electronics are the biggest hurdle.
The only one that has a chance to work would be the 44-45 because it already comes in the 1500's.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only one that has a chance to work would be the 44-45 because it already comes in the 1500's.

Sent from my LG-H918 ug Tapatalk

The concesus was it would be an easy swap since the 44–44 and 44-45 are physically the same down to the plug in connectors. Wondered too if there might be something better so I shot Advanced Adapters an email. They replied an Atlas will bolt up to the 8Hp70 but the Atlas is manually shifted so you’d have to fab something up. Since they didnt “have” a shifting solution they could officially “recommend “ the swap but they said it will bolt up. Now that really got me thinking.........leave the 44-44 motor pluged into the harness, use the push buttons on the dash so the computer will engage/disengage the axle disconnect...............and do a center console swap but add the manual floor shift like the PW........connect the Atlas to the factory floor shifter and whaaala.......

That doesnt too crazy does it?

I mean 4WOR did something similar a few years back on their project Ram?!

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This one isnt the feature but ive got it around somewhere......along with a few others

image.jpg