Anyone have similar issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,
So I traded my 08 Cummins 3/4 ton for a 14 1 ton in March. Over the past few months this issue I'm having seems to be gradually getting worse.

At first when I began to notice it, I stop at my mail box at the end of my street on my way home from work. Put the truck in park and go grab my mail. Hop back into the truck and notice the P R N D letters on the dash have turned from white to yellow and I put it in drive and it doesn't go anywhere, just revs. Put it back into park, goes back to normal, drive home. It did this 2 or 3 times, I had the truck in to get the rear pinion seal changed and was basically told I'll end up paying a diagnostic fee for them to look at it cause unless then can reproduce it, there's nothing they can do. So I left it.

About a month ago, I pull into a parking lot for a minute to call someone. Put the truck into park and the same thing, D R N P turn yellow. Only this time it is stuck in park. Try shutting the truck off and restarting, but they key won't turn all the way back to off and is stuck in the dash. The truck also won't start again. So I call my dealer and they tell me to use my roadside assistance to get it towed in and they'll look at it. While calling roadside, the letters go back white again and the trucks magically fine. Call the dealer back and they tell me to take it and get the undercarriage washed and that it was more then likely a piece of road debris stuck up underneath and it fell out. I thought this was **** because why would it randomly fall out while I was stuck parked there. So I booked it in for them to look and take it for a wash. They look and find nothing.

Then there was today.
I have an aftermarket 2 way remote start. Need it as it commonly gets down to -40C up here in the winter. Started the truck, didn't get a signal back. Thought nothing of it as sometimes the signal isn't so great inside my work. (I work in a pulp mill, pretty big place). So I look out the window to see it hadn't started. Try it again, in the changeroom, thing flashed red, no start. Weird. So I go outside, put the key in and turn it. Nothing. All the lights, keyless entry, stereo, dash all look fine. Tried it 4 or 5 times. Absolutely nothing. -25C outside. So I go into work get some wrenches, disconnect the batteries and wait a while. Reconnect them, still nothing. Someone sees me under the hood and offers a boost. 98% sure it isn't the issue, but I give it a go. Still nothing. At this point it's about an hour after I got off work. I call roadside assistance, 1.5 hr to 2 hr 15 min wait just for a call back from dispatch. So I sit around thinking and thinking and about to get a ride home. Try it again, still nothing. Randomly decide to shift it into drive and back into park. Magically it's alive again, starts right up and is fine. At this point it's almost 2 hours since I got off.

So I'm pretty sure this is all related somehow, but my dealer is so useless, I'm not getting anywhere with them. I started to think today that maybe it was the aftermarket remote, but this issue began before I even had it installed. I'm getting so fed up, with this and a few other issues I've had that I'm about ready to get rid of the truck. Has anyone else had this issue?? Did you get a reason or a resolve?? Any ideas?

65000kms.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20160708_181252.jpg
    20160708_181252.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would also have guessed it was related to the remote start but if it was happening prior it may not. Either way it's an electrical gremlin. I'd remove the aftermarket remote start and get it back in the dealer. At least that way they can't blame it on you. Hound them till they find a fix. A Ramcares rep from this site may also be able to provide assistance. I'm sure they will be along shortly. Good luck getting this figured out. An unreliable rig is a pita for sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I wouldn't even know where to start taking the remote start out. I had it installed by a shop. If this happens again I'm going to have to take it to the dealer and if they try and say that's what the issue is then I'll have to deal with the shop that installed it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
seems to me that the shift position sensor (no idea is thats what its actually called) or gear sensor is on the fritz. the truck wont start unless its in park or neutral. if the sensor isnt reading properly, the truck isnt going to start. at least thats where i would start looking. maybe try cleaning the connection to the sensor?

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RamCares works, I hit a deer and the 2016 1500 sport head lights are on national back order. talked to RamCares and they were able to help and get my headlight within a week. Give them a shout!!

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
seems to me that the shift position sensor (no idea is thats what its actually called) or gear sensor is on the fritz. the truck wont start unless its in park or neutral. if the sensor isnt reading properly, the truck isnt going to start. at least thats where i would start looking. maybe try cleaning the connection to the sensor?

This was my immediate thought. Also remote start not working because it may not be sensing Park properly.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was my immediate thought. Also remote start not working because it may not be sensing Park properly.

Only thing is, it started the letters turning yellow and reving long before I ever had the remote start put in.

The yellow has got to be something. They only turned yellow yesterday for a brief second in between start attempts. But still, it's happened every time I've had this issue.

Maybe I'll have to try this Ram cares. Never heard of it before.

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see a website or anything for them.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They troll this web site almost daily to see if any members need any factory assistance when a member is having problems they can't get resolved at the dealer level. Some member report pretty good success when dealing with them.
Jay

reddevil78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 he I
Remote start buddy had the same issue. In my case it swiped the computer because it was interfering with my ABS system and gear shifter as well. Dealership removed the alarm got me a new computer. I haven't had issues since then.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like when the PRND all turn yellow, the computer is not able to sense what gear it's supposed be in.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
could it just be a neutral start switch ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye