Axle Identification help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachl88

Reaction score
Ok guys I have a 2001 Ram Sport Off Road Edition 1500 that I'm tearing down for parts to build a 99 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT. Both trucks are 4x4. Let's talk about axles for a second. I have looked absolutely everywhere I can think to look or reference. My 01 is suppose to have 4.10 gearing with a Dana 44 front axle. My 99 is suppose to have 3.55 gearing with the stock front axle to match. Both of my trucks are stock to the best of my knowledge. I want to know, if my axles are different gearing and the front axle on the 01 being a Dana, shouldn't my axle housings have noticeable differences between them? Or with them being stock axles are they going to look the same until I tear off differential covers? Thanks for the help everyone

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Count how many rotations of the pinion compared to the axle. So if the pinion rotates 4 times to the axles once, then it's likely the 4.10.