Back in a RAM!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I originally bought a 2012 Ram 1500 Express (6speed, 5.7, CC, 2x4, 3.92) in 2013. It was a great truck, but on it's second complementary oil change, I walked out of the waiting room and into a 2014 Charger. That car was a lot of fun to drive. But I missed my truck.

I broke down and traded back into a Ram. Got this truck 3 days ago. It's a 2016 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.7, also sporting the 3.92 rear end. While the Tradesman package is on the vanilla side, I think it suits me pretty well. I fell in love with the 8 speed in my Charger, and so far I'm not disappointed with it in the 1500. Considering it has the same rear gear as my last Ram, this truck is a straight up rocket.

I have a list of mods planned, not sure how long it will take me to knock them out.

First up is adding a keyless entry / remote start. This truck has power locks and windows, but no fob. I'm considering doing it myself with a Viper kit, which will be about 150 cheaper than having it done elsewhere. I've worked upfitting emergency vehicles in the past, so I shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Second on the list is a leveling kit. I'm leaning towards the Bilstein 5100 front struts. I might do all 4 corners, depends on where I can find them in stock and what they run. I would like to eventually add an aftermarket air bag kit to the rear.

Third, window tint.

Fourth, a new radio. While this one sounds far better than I thought it would (the Charger had Beats by Dre) lack of Bluetooth and a CD player are frustrating. Since I have no XM or steering wheel controls, the swap shouldn't be hard, and without the climate controls built into the stereo like other Mopars, it should be pretty easy to do.

If anyone can give guidance on the remote start, that would be great.

Attachments

• 870f866e8a4f19b8743de46ba8079340.jpg
    870f866e8a4f19b8743de46ba8079340.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
its hard to give up a truck once you have had one. welcome back.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
CONGRATS on your new truck! I know what you mean by missing a truck, Just got into my first RAM a month or so ago after many years w/o a truck,, LOVE it :)

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wife currently has a charger (from her jeep) and it rides like a dream. So I can drive it or my truck. And I could never go to a car, I'd miss the truck too much. So welcome back to the truck...but I seriously think you took a nasty hit going to a tradesman...should have tried for at least a BH.

eljefe

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Congratulations. I'm using the DBall remote start kit, but I have a factory key fob so that was the easiest for me to keep from having more than one fob.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome back

OP
OP
S

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wife currently has a charger (from her jeep) and it rides like a dream. So I can drive it or my truck. And I could never go to a car, I'd miss the truck too much. So welcome back to the truck...but I seriously think you took a nasty hit going to a tradesman...should have tried for at least a BH.

Honestly, since I got rid of my old TJ (wasn't going to work with a newborn) this truck feels the most "at home" for me of any vehicle I've owned since. The only thing I miss from my charger is the Keyless Go. All the other stuff I seldomly used. I like simple and utilitarian.

3c15e33e34837f5ab0881da5b0e3af25.jpg

OP
OP
S

SirGeorgeKillian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, one other small thing I miss about the Charger, when you are in the left lane and hauling ass in a blacked out Charger, most people just get out of your way. Now I have to tailgate all the people in the fast lane that aren't going fast like everyone else. Kinda joking, kinda not.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fourth, a new radio. While this one sounds far better than I thought it would (the Charger had Beats by Dre) lack of Bluetooth and a CD player are frustrating. Since I have no XM or steering wheel controls, the swap shouldn't be hard, and without the climate controls built into the stereo like other Mopars, it should be pretty easy to do.

Wait...what...Cd's are still a thing? I remember when I said that about cassette players. Glad those are gone now though.

Anyway, congrats on the new truck. Hope you enjoy it and the modding.:favorites13: