Back Up Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys so this is the first time I'm posting on here. I have a 2011 Ram SXT 4X4. Im looking to get more lighting when backing up and trailering my boat. I would like to keep the factory look of my interior ( not add an ugly and obvious switch ) but also add fog lights to be used as back up lights under my trailer hitch. My initial plan is to run a power wire from the cargo lights and use the switch in the cab on the dash that turns on the cargo lights to turn on the fog lights as well. This way when i need more light behind me both the cargo lights and fog lights will come on. My fear is that I may over load the relay or wires and draw too many amps and burn up or short out something. Is that an unfounded fear or what solution should I use? Im open to advice for light selection. Im thinking either LED's but im not sure.
Thanks for your help
Rev. Ron

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My initial plan is to run a power wire from the cargo lights and use the switch in the cab on the dash that turns on the cargo lights to turn on the fog lights as well. This way when i need more light behind me both the cargo lights and fog lights will come on. My fear is that I may over load the relay or wires and draw too many amps and burn up or short out something. Is that an unfounded fear or what solution should I use? Im open to advice for light selection. Im thinking either LED's but im not sure.
Thanks for your help
Rev. Ron

Welcome!! Your idea is a good one but you will want to add a relay into the mix. We used to have to do this years ago when car stereo amps had 'push button' on/off switches (I want to know who thought that was a good idea anyway :roflsquared: )

To connect the relay you would run a new, fused, power wire from the battery to the 'Power In' socket on the relay. Then tap onto the wire feeding the cargo light (or what ever you want to use) and run it to the 'Remote In' socket on the relay. Last you run the wire from your new lights to the 'Power Out' socket. This will add almost no extra load on the cargo lamp fuse. Just make sure that your relay is rated high enough to handle the load of your new lights. It is really much easier than it sounds. I am sure that others will chime in with their solutions as well.

Good luck with your project!!

OP
OP
RevRonnie

RevRonnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THanks Power for the ideas. I may try what Trupiano is talking about first then if its not better Ill put in the fog lights.... again thanks to both of you for the help.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I can attest to the Cree lights being the complete ****!! They are stupid bright and make hooking up to boat a joke... I can't count how many times I needed more light and now it's a breeze

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
LED CREE Back up lights would help i'm sure :D

IMG_0425.jpg

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
^ these helped a lot. But I will still be mounting an led light bar on top of my camper top to create a flood light behind

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Logisys RM022A Logisys RM022A 2 Zone 12VDC 15A Remote Control from mwave.com

I used one of these to add back-up lights to my boat trailer and NOT have to put a switch in the dash.

Works very well too.