Beefing front suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
So I used a 2.5 inch spacer on the front end to level my 2015 Ram 1500. So far no problems. I was told that over time, like a year or 2, my tie rods will wear out. So, to combat this I was advised to change out my front shocks to a Fox 2.0 coilover shock and replace my UCA to a Fabtech UCA using a Heim link instead of the ball joints. I was told that new coilover and UCA would pretty much guarantee me of trouble free performance. Thoughts on this set up? I know it's about 2k to do this set up just a for a leveling job but it would give me a piece of mind.

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Or since you have 4x4 run the bilstein 5100's set at 1.4 or 2.1 and mevotech upper control arms and you'll only be out a few hundred dollars and still have better ride quality than stock. Also with the bilsteins you'll be able to get rid of the front end level kit being the shocks will raise the truck to whatever desired height (up to 2.8)

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Majority of the 4th gen guys are running the bilsteins with level/lift kits and the mevotech UCA's and it's a great combo.

OP
OP
tdramman

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw the Mevo's on here but they seem so cheap compared to all the other UCA. With the Bilsteins I saw that I still have to use my stock coils. Is there any negatives to doing that?

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
lol 2k to "beef" up a front end cause you put a leveling kit on it..take the spacer kit put it in the trash. order two bilstein 5100s for under 180.00..take the remaining 1800 and buy some United heath group stock. F no I wouldn't waste money on what your doing, smh

OP
OP
tdramman

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree that 2k is an expensive upgrade for just a leveling kit but I also don't want to do it wrong. I have not seen any complaints on the Mevos. Has anyone had failures with them? Have they been out long enough where they lasted a few years?

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I suppose it depends on what you are looking to do with the vehicle. The vast majority of people on here use Bils to level and pick up Mevotechs as cheap insurance. And for most people with 90% street use and occasional off road use you have improved your capability for very little money.

Personally, I live down a 3 mile dirt driveway (that I drive too fast on) and use my truck around the property to cut brush and clear trees so I use 4 wheel drive every day and I have a 60 mile commute during the week so I went with King Coilovers upfront and new piggy backs in the rear. Someday (hopefully this weekend) it will even warm up enough for me to put them on.

Fabtech and Fox both make great products and it will likely be an awesome setup. I would put it this way, if you have the money and you want to go cruising down fire roads in 4HI at 40 mph go for it and post pics when you're done!. If that type of use is not likely in your future then go wtih Bils and Mevos, improve your truck, and save some coin.

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw the Mevo's on here but they seem so cheap compared to all the other UCA. With the Bilsteins I saw that I still have to use my stock coils. Is there any negatives to doing that?

I thought the same thing about the Mevo's but everybody had been running them with great success so I tried them. Cheap and ALOT beefier than the factory UCA!

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the bilsteins, but it looks like ur set.

Avoid the cheep spacers and upgrading to real shocks ( fox or bilstein..or anything else besides a spacer) will do it.

** From the *******...where my best ideas come from**

OP
OP
tdramman

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I talked to another 4x4 shop today and they stated that have not seen any issues with the 2015 Ram so far using the spacers. They did see problems with the 2013 and 2014 Rams with that set up. They said the Bilsteins are good shocks but thinks that I should just leave my new shocks on there. When they wear out in a 100k miles replace them then. This shop does lift kits for Rams and Jeeps in my area. That's just one positive opinion but it is still Food for thought.

Jdperry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I talked to another 4x4 shop today and they stated that have not seen any issues with the 2015 Ram so far using the spacers. They did see problems with the 2013 and 2014 Rams with that set up. They said the Bilsteins are good shocks but thinks that I should just leave my new shocks on there. When they wear out in a 100k miles replace them then. This shop does lift kits for Rams and Jeeps in my area. That's just one positive opinion but it is still Food for thought.

I understand what they're saying, but what's the point in it really? If you buy a spacer/level kit which are around $120-$150 or buy the bilstein 5100's at around $180 you'll only be out another $60. And you'll have a much better ride with the bills.