black chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just picked up the 16 ram with the chrome 20x9's and thought that black chrome would look good with the trucks silver exterior. Anyone heard of doing this or any reason not to do it? Thanks
ram_zps7tvclh4p.jpg
ram1_zpsdyr4dlis.jpg

Stringer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say go for it

picture.php

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I have thought about Black Chrome for the wheels but I have never been able to find any styles I like.

Are you talking about re-plating the wheels in black chrome?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good man. I'd say go for it.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

OP
OP
Rockit

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have thought about Black Chrome for the wheels but I have never been able to find any styles I like.

Are you talking about re-plating the wheels in black chrome?

yes I would dismount the tires and redo all wheels

MJG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are they not chrome clad wheels? Which are basically a plastic cover on a steel wheel? If so, you can't have them rechromed or black chromed. You could probably have a body shop paint them with a tinted black clearcoat, but it won't stick well to the plastic either.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
are they not chrome clad wheels? Which are basically a plastic cover on a steel wheel? If so, you can't have them rechromed or black chromed. You could probably have a body shop paint them with a tinted black clearcoat, but it won't stick well to the plastic either.

I wanna say he is right. You might be able to just apply nightshade. I think the term you are looking for is 'smoked chrome'. Looks absolutely awesome. Good luck and start a build thread if you go forward with the wheel change

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You could plastidip your wheels black, with some black and gloss plastidip. There are also a pearlizer and metalizer plastidip paints to give you a black metallic or dark silver metallic look.

I've plastidipped wheels before but it is a lot of work. If you do it right it can last a long time.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could plastidip your wheels black, with some black and gloss plastidip. There are also a pearlizer and metalizer plastidip paints to give you a black metallic or dark silver metallic look.

I've plastidipped wheels before but it is a lot of work. If you do it right it can last a long time.

I've been told that the plasti dip will pit if you drive on dirty roads often. Is that true? I've never dipped anything and don't know anyone personally that has.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
plasti dip pits???? So does steel if you sand blast it..
Plasti dip is cheap and easy to get rid of if you dont like it..

My 2010 plasti dipped wheels and grill..I miss her...My 16 with powder coated stockers..

Attachments

• MY HEMI.jpg
    MY HEMI.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20160129_163109.jpg
    20160129_163109.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 63

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could try....

Attachments

• duplicolor-shadow-chrome-black-out-paint-kit-11-oz-11.jpg
    duplicolor-shadow-chrome-black-out-paint-kit-11-oz-11.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Rockit

Rockit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just checked and you guys are correct they are plastic covers over the wheel. They look so well made I could not tell the they were not.

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've been told that the plasti dip will pit if you drive on dirty roads often. Is that true? I've never dipped anything and don't know anyone personally that has.

I dipped my wheels on my '14 WRX with the bright fluorescent yellow color that Plastidip makes and it held up very well. However I put in a lot of prep work. I took all four wheels off the car, cleaned them with soap and water, then wiped down with alcohol pads. I used two cans of white over the four wheels as a base coat, then probably 6-8 cans of the florescent yellow, followed by a few cans of the gloss coat. A bit overkill, but it left a solid thick strong super bright layer. So bright it almost hurt your eyes!

I never had any issues with peeling except for when I had to get a tire plugged and remounted. Around the edge of the rim where was some very slight peeling from the tire mounting machine but it wasn't bad at all.

It can be a huge pain in the @$$ but if you do it right it will look great and last a long time. There are a ton of different videos on youtube for color combinations and techniques.

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
Beautiful truck!!!