Brake controller installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
When I have my truck in Friday for it's next oil change, the dealership is installing the factory trailer braking controller. I decided to go this route, so it looks as it should from the factory, and it's designed to work with my truck. The total for parts and installation is $300, including the flashing of my computer. Has anyone else had this done after the fact as I am? Meaning, adding the controller after purchase since the truck didn't come with it? Do you all like the factory trailer braking system? Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
I purchased a certified 2016 Limited from what I can gather the previous owner installed the module and the switch but never had the computer flashed to make it active. That is what the dealer said after I informed they it didn’t work, they flashed the computer and it work great now. I prefer this over an aftermarket so I can see the brake in the small screen in my dash. It is easier to use than most aftermarket ones which have to be mounted out of line of sight. The one thing I do not like about it is, the fuse for the trailer Brake Controller is the same one for my factory 4 corner air suspension and passenger fog light. Initially when I tried to use it when it wasn’t programmed it kept blowing a fuse and my dash said fog light out and service air ride system.

2016 RAM 1500 Limited

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Factory trailer brake controller installed

While in for my next oil change Friday morning, the dealer I dealt with through my purchase told me my truck was supposed to have the brake controller. He told the service guy to install it free of charge. How awesome is that? Now, all I've got to do is install the air bag 1000 kit I received from Moe's, and I'm set for towing my tandem axle trailer. Could some of you chime in on how the factory setup works out for those of you who towing and use it? Any of you have the air bags installed also? Thanks in advance.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While in for my next oil change Friday morning, the dealer I dealt with through my purchase told me my truck was supposed to have the brake controller. He told the service guy to install it free of charge. How awesome is that? Now, all I've got to do is install the air bag 1000 kit I received from Moe's, and I'm set for towing my tandem axle trailer. Could some of you chime in on how the factory setup works out for those of you who towing and use it? Any of you have the air bags installed also? Thanks in advance.

I have the factory brake controller and the Airlift 1000. The brake controller is effortless. You hook a trailer up, it recognizes a trailer is there. Then you can fine tune the gain, type of brakes, etc. It's a pretty sweet setup actually.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Thanks very much Hemi395!

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When I have my truck in Friday for it's next oil change, the dealership is installing the factory trailer braking controller. I decided to go this route, so it looks as it should from the factory, and it's designed to work with my truck. The total for parts and installation is $300, including the flashing of my computer. Has anyone else had this done after the fact as I am? Meaning, adding the controller after purchase since the truck didn't come with it? Do you all like the factory trailer braking system? Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

$300 is a great deal. I negotiated mine for $350, but then again, my sales manager did give me nav. for free! :roflsquared: Having a Tekonsha in my last Ram that was wonderful, this is better as I now have full info display. I've only towed once so far, but it works great. I had Airlift 1000 in my previous RC 4x2 and while they helped with balancing the load, I did feel like the ride was a bit rougher, even when only inflated to 5 lbs. My new truck is a 4x4 Crew and I am super happy with the ride quality. When pulling the trailer, though not fully loaded, I was very happy with the ride quality. I know you will like having the TBC integral with the dash. Good luck!

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my brake controller online for $190. I installed it myself on my 2015 1500. I went to the dealer and played stupid that it used to display in my center screen and now it doesn't. They flashed the programming for free, which should've been $80.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I bought my brake controller online for $190. I installed it myself on my 2015 1500. I went to the dealer and played stupid that it used to display in my center screen and now it doesn't. They flashed the programming for free, which should've been $80.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
I don't play games with the dealer. Lying to them will eventually come back to haunt you. Just my .02 cents.

nickb1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Mine was $500 installed when i bought the truck (2014). $300 seems like a really good deal.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Mine was $500 installed when i bought the truck (2014). $300 seems like a really good deal.
The dealer I dealt with was there and saw me. He told the service guy the truck was supposed to have the brake controller when purchased so he told him to do it for free. I was astonished!!

35wailin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a 1500 Crew 4x4., I pickmit up tomorrow.

Dealer wanted C$660 for the controller. I will probably just buy the harness adapter for my old controller and install that. My camper weight doesnt relally change much, so once it is set, I am good.

MbMav

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked the dealer about adding a factory style controller to my 14 Big Horn and I was told it could not be done. Only thing I wish my truck had...

HemiStarPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed it after he fact on my 2013 Ram. It was an easy install and the dealer flashed the computer at no charge. MbMav, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to add the factory one. All the wires should be there,just need the computer and switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Free install is huge!
I put mine in and it was a fiddly mess to get it mounted in the correct location. Everything else was a super clean hook up and it works great!

2016 Power Wagon

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Parts and labor for my install was $500.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Just bought a used controller box for $60 with bracket and new controller switch for $32, easy install, 3 screws, rest is just plugging in. Will have dealer flash when getting pcm replaced. I have a aftermarket controller now, but wife hits knee on it when driving. Will just put that back in the 05 Durango.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I asked the dealer about adding a factory style controller to my 14 Big Horn and I was told it could not be done. Only thing I wish my truck had...
I hate it when dealers give people inaccurate information and they go a different direction because they think they have too. You can easily install a factory brake controller in in your truck and have it programmed to work just like everybody else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I hate it when dealers give people inaccurate information and they go a different direction because they think they have too. You can easily install a factory brake controller in in your truck and have it programmed to work just like everybody else.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Well they are idiots, my 2013 outdoorsman came with the upgraded tow package from factory, but even mine didn't come with a controller. Is ready for one, but guess they figure some people will want to just tow lightweight utility trailers, so is on customer later to install.

2011ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Factory is so much cleaner and smoother, I had an aftermarket on my previous truck, it looked ugly and out of place. Good choice