Brake issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well back at about 5,000 miles or so I noticed that my brakes were starting to squeel. At first I figured that I had put miles on quickly and perhaps they just were a little glazed or needed more broken in but the problem has gotten worse over time. Last month I took the truck in for an oil change at my dealership (Dewey Dodge Chrysler Jeep of Ankeny, IA) and finally decided to make mention of the problem. I told the service advisor Derrick Frost that the brakes were squeeling mainly at lower speeds, when coming to a stop, or when the brakes were lighly applied. He informed me that I would have to "Live with it" and that the squeeling was likely just caused by glazing and that such things could happen with the cold weather, road salt, etc.... He told me to fix it they would likely have to turn the rotors and scuff the pads and that that would effect the life of the parts. I blew it off and again figured that maybe it would go away.

This month I noticed it was even more frequent, louder, and therefore more annoying. So I emailed the head of service Mark Kavaya about the issue. Mr. Kavaya was very polite and helpful in the matter and immediately set up a date with me for them to check the brakes. I brought it in on March 9th and gave it to them for the day. They call me in the afternoon and tell me it's ready. They didn't charge me anything but they did give me the invoice with the description of what they did to remedy the problem. It reads as follows:

"CUSTOMER STATES HAS BRAKE NOISE SEEMS TO COME FROM FRONT AND REAR. SEE MARK AFTER DIAG FOUND THAT THERE WAS GLAZE ON REAR ROTORS AND SCUFFED PADS. TURNED ALL ROTORS. FRONTS AND REARS. SCUFFED UP PADS ON FRONT AND REAR. REAR ROTORS HAD SIGNS OF GLAZE ON THEM. CLEANED BOTH ROTORS AND PADS ON FRONT AND REAR. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE NO NOISE HEARD WHEN BACKING UP OR NO VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEED."

I took my truck home and the problem seemed to be gone. However it slowly began again and now is becoming more frequent. Since the issue has redeveloped I decided to email RAM Customer Assistance about the issue. Today I received a phone call. The woman I spoke to informed me that they had emailed Mark Kavaya the Head of Service at Dewey and that they expected a response from him sometime during the day (The 27th) and that they would call me in the morning on the 28th.

So needless to say I'm frustrated with the whole situation. My 2006 Dakota was driven to Colorado and Wyoming on the same set of brakes through the mountains and the brakes lasted me about 60k miles and didn't squeek until they really needed replaced. This tells me the quality of the brake parts on these new RAMs is not very good quality. I'm sitting at a little over 16k miles now and there is no reason the brakes should be squeeling so much. It's rather embarrassing when you are at a drive thru or when you pull up next to some d-bag in a new Ford and then you get that nice high pitched squeel.

Hoping for new brakes though I don't know that I want their crap quality ones again.

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That sucks, I haven't had any issues with mine yet. I only have about 1900 miles on mine so far

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That does suck, I hope they get it fixed for you

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks all. Gonna call them this morning. Dodge called me back and said to set up an appointment for "diagnosis". Pretty sure they just need to replace my rotors and pads as they've already harmed the life of the rotors by turning them and it didn't fix the problem. We'll see, I'll post up the results.

tf34mech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel your pain. mine has been doing the same thing. I only have about 1800 mi. unfortunately i havent had a chance to take it in yet.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems like once that starts happening, it never ends. My mom has the same issue on her car and has multiple sets of pads and rotors. I think it probably actually has something to do with the calipers

tf34mech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cooked my brakes a bit going down Pike's Peak and since then they've been dead quiet

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Well back at about 5,000 miles or so I noticed that my brakes were starting to squeel. At first I figured that I had put miles on quickly and perhaps they just were a little glazed or needed more broken in but the problem has gotten worse over time. Last month I took the truck in for an oil change at my dealership (Dewey Dodge Chrysler Jeep of Ankeny, IA) and finally decided to make mention of the problem. I told the service advisor Derrick Frost that the brakes were squeeling mainly at lower speeds, when coming to a stop, or when the brakes were lighly applied. He informed me that I would have to "Live with it" and that the squeeling was likely just caused by glazing and that such things could happen with the cold weather, road salt, etc.... He told me to fix it they would likely have to turn the rotors and scuff the pads and that that would effect the life of the parts. I blew it off and again figured that maybe it would go away.

This month I noticed it was even more frequent, louder, and therefore more annoying. So I emailed the head of service Mark Kavaya about the issue. Mr. Kavaya was very polite and helpful in the matter and immediately set up a date with me for them to check the brakes. I brought it in on March 9th and gave it to them for the day. They call me in the afternoon and tell me it's ready. They didn't charge me anything but they did give me the invoice with the description of what they did to remedy the problem. It reads as follows:

"CUSTOMER STATES HAS BRAKE NOISE SEEMS TO COME FROM FRONT AND REAR. SEE MARK AFTER DIAG FOUND THAT THERE WAS GLAZE ON REAR ROTORS AND SCUFFED PADS. TURNED ALL ROTORS. FRONTS AND REARS. SCUFFED UP PADS ON FRONT AND REAR. REAR ROTORS HAD SIGNS OF GLAZE ON THEM. CLEANED BOTH ROTORS AND PADS ON FRONT AND REAR. ROAD TESTED VEHICLE NO NOISE HEARD WHEN BACKING UP OR NO VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEED."

I took my truck home and the problem seemed to be gone. However it slowly began again and now is becoming more frequent. Since the issue has redeveloped I decided to email RAM Customer Assistance about the issue. Today I received a phone call. The woman I spoke to informed me that they had emailed Mark Kavaya the Head of Service at Dewey and that they expected a response from him sometime during the day (The 27th) and that they would call me in the morning on the 28th.

So needless to say I'm frustrated with the whole situation. My 2006 Dakota was driven to Colorado and Wyoming on the same set of brakes through the mountains and the brakes lasted me about 60k miles and didn't squeek until they really needed replaced. This tells me the quality of the brake parts on these new RAMs is not very good quality. I'm sitting at a little over 16k miles now and there is no reason the brakes should be squeeling so much. It's rather embarrassing when you are at a drive thru or when you pull up next to some d-bag in a new Ford and then you get that nice high pitched squeel.

Hoping for new brakes though I don't know that I want their crap quality ones again.

Must be on the newer years mine have close to 50k and still work and sound good

2K10HemiRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hometown: Tacoma, WA Stationed: Alamogordo NM
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine have been squealing for awhile now, just haven't taken it in for that yet because it isn't that bad to me. I'm over 24k miles now and if I had to guess, mine started doing it because of the lovely hot vegas summers, lol. I've been thinking of doing aftermarket rotors and pads eventually though so we'll see what happens.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That does suck, I hope they get it fixed for you

There is little to no chance of that since "scuffing" will not fix the problem, my '02 1500 suffered the same thing as did my '07 Durango. I never got the 1500 problem resolved, however, I discovered Hawk Brake Pads for the Durango. I talked with a Hawk representative for some time on the phone and was "assured" the LTS pads would be perfect for me (I tow a 10,000lb boat). I bought Wagner OEM replacement rotors and put the LTS pads on and I was INSTANTLY amazed. Had the Durango for a year after upgrading the brakes and they were as perfect the day I traded as the day I put them on. I can honestly say, without any reservation what-so-ever, these pads took that Durango from being a very weak stopper to having more brake force than the truck actually required.

I strongly recommend them. Hawk started as a racing only brake pad company but has expanded, and they stand behind their product.

Hawk Performance Brake Pads: Light Truck / SUV

http://www.hawkperformance.com/truck/

When my OE pads on my 2500 are done I will be talking with the rep again to see which would best fit my needs. Thinking I will likely go LTS again since my boat trailer has electric brakes and will likely not need the "Super Duty" brake pads.

Also, when you change your pads/rotors be sure the calipers are working to spec, and that all retainer clips/springs are replaced.

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I totally agree with going after market on brakes I always swap rotors, and pads (to ceramic) when OEM are shot and then I don't have the common rotor problem or all that crap to clean off rims. I get drilled and or slotted rotors in front because of all the heat they warp fast and this prevents that. I have done this on my last three rides and will on my Ram if I still have it. I leave the rear because I can go around 100k or more on them stock. I never ride the brakes and they last me a very long time. I live in very flat area so you guys in hills and mountains are bound to have way more issues than I do.

$miley

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Welcome. I do hope it helps, and best of luck with those brakes. Having them squeal and be squishy can really be maddening. I also believe quality rotors are key.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I agree! Upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads. That will solve your problem completely.

These guys are awesome! Free brake pads with some rotor purchases, and lifetime warranty! Will be purchasing a set of these for my truck in the near future.
Premium Dimpled and Slotted Brake Rotors

OP
OP
shibby927

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So far zero squeeks from my new brakes. Kind of wonder if my trip to Colorado on the old set didn't have something to do with them squeeking. I have driven mountains so I'm usually pretty good about downshifting to save the brakes but maybe they just got a little too hot or something. Can't complain about a brand new set though! Might look into some drilled or slotted rotors if I decide to upgrade though.