Build list. Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitish_derik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys just wanted to start this off by saying since I have joined this forum I have learned a lot. My '17 Big horn Hemi quad cab 4x4 with 3.21 gears is the first brand new vehicle I've ever bought and hoping to keep it for a very long time. With that being said I had in mind on what I wanted to do to the truck when I got it, but the forum lead me another their direction because I do plan on towing with it and when I do it'll be cross country.
The build list includes:
Window tint
Spray in bed liner
Oil catch can
Carven exhaust
Bilstein B8 5100 adjustables
Either 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Derik

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Since you tow, I would recommend staying away from bigger tires and upgrade your gearing. Everything else is solid.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second the gearing thoughts. I have spent some time on RV sites as well as Dakota sites and the rear should be lower, i.e. numerically higher. The 3.21 should be the next level, what is it 3.55? or maybe even a 3.92. You need a lower gear to pull to reduce the stresses. I can't verify whether or not you WILL be successful pulling with the 3.21 but if you can change the gearing before delivery it might be a good idea.

OP
OP
W

whitish_derik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you tow, I would recommend staying away from bigger tires and upgrade your gearing. Everything else is solid.
I should specify that'd I'd be towing another vehicle every few years due to the occupation that I'm in makes my wife and I move every few years. With that being said would you still recommend staying away from the bigger tires and upgrading the gearing?

OP
OP
W

whitish_derik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I second the gearing thoughts. I have spent some time on RV sites as well as Dakota sites and the rear should be lower, i.e. numerically higher. The 3.21 should be the next level, what is it 3.55? or maybe even a 3.92. You need a lower gear to pull to reduce the stresses. I can't verify whether or not you WILL be successful pulling with the 3.21 but if you can change the gearing before delivery it might be a good idea.
The 3.55 is standard if you get it with the v6 but with the v8 it's either 3.21 as standard or 3.92 gears

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Your truck will be fine to tow occasionally with the gears it has unless you are towing a 69 caddy in an enclosed race car trailer. Bigger tires look cool, I agree, I've had them. They will also affect your towing ability, steering and suspension, and fuel mileage. Your steering and suspension parts will wear out faster. None of this is speculation or theory, been there, lifted that. I personally don't buy into the catch can hype but never had one. I also would never change good shocks on a new truck to lift the front so the back sags when you haul a bag of groceries in the bed. The same goes for a leveling kit. The other things you listed are harmless. At the end of the day, its your truck, do the things you want to do to it to make it yours.

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I should specify that'd I'd be towing another vehicle every few years due to the occupation that I'm in makes my wife and I move every few years. With that being said would you still recommend staying away from the bigger tires and upgrading the gearing?

Yes, but if you spend some time off road and need bigger tires go ahead. Big tires on an all street truck isnt practical IMO. Remember bigger tires are more weight that will effect acceleration, fuel consumption, ride quality, and payload (often overlooked). You can keep you stock ones for towing. The gears will not only help with towing, but will make the truck more enjoyable with more kick down low.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Depending on what you are towing, you may want to beef up the rear with air bags or similar item to prevent squat. Especially if your towing cross country.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Regearing a 4wd 4th gen is costly from what I've read due to the way the front diff is designed. Plenty of people tow vehicles with their 3.21s without issue but bigger tires will degrade performance. Research the "towing and hauling" section and you should get solid answers about towing with your vehicle configuration.

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3.21 gears and I live at at least 5,200 altitude or higher. You'll be able to pull fine but it all depends on your load. If you're towing heavy I would upgrade otherwise it's all good. These Hemi's make tons of low end power.

Your truck will be fine to tow occasionally with the gears it has unless you are towing a 69 caddy in an enclosed race car trailer. Bigger tires look cool, I agree, I've had them. They will also affect your towing ability, steering and suspension, and fuel mileage. Your steering and suspension parts will wear out faster. None of this is speculation or theory, been there, lifted that. I personally don't buy into the catch can hype but never had one. I also would never change good shocks on a new truck to lift the front so the back sags when you haul a bag of groceries in the bed. The same goes for a leveling kit. The other things you listed are harmless. At the end of the day, its your truck, do the things you want to do to it to make it yours.

I put one on at about 200 miles on mine. I emptied it at 3,300 miles. It had about an 1 1/2 pool of oil in there. It definitely catches oil that otherwise would be going places other than the oil pan.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the oil catch can first, And if you have 275/60-R20 tires on your truck, you already have 33's.
Spray in bed liners are nice, except they are very rough, and hard to keep clean. I have it in my Rebel now, but my new truck will have the Mopar thick rubber bed mat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

whitish_derik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 3.21 gears and I live at at least 5,200 altitude or higher. You'll be able to pull fine but it all depends on your load. If you're towing heavy I would upgrade otherwise it's all good. These Hemi's make tons of low end power.

I put one on at about 200 miles on mine. I emptied it at 3,300 miles. It had about an 1 1/2 pool of oil in there. It definitely catches oil that otherwise would be going places other than the oil pan.
That being said makes me want to go put one on now. Does adding one void the warranty?