"Bumping sensation in truck"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2016 Ram 1500 Crew cab with 5.7 Hemi 8 speed trans 2wd. When slowing down at almost stop or at takeoff, I get a "thud or bump" similar to something loose slamming in your bed or like your revved high in neutral and then shift to drive & it links up. Tried reteaching, Chrysler has done 2 star cases & no resolution. Problem occurred after 1st oil change which was when an update was done to fix the hard 1-2shiftothers were having. Unable to remove update & roll it back. I was given 7year, 125k extended warranty for my peace of mind about further issues resulting from this abnormal condition. Fully believe it is electronic issue since it happened after software update. Chrysler is working in it & they are always updating which is not good if you keep addressing issues
18c5bd78c7714151b718050aefd43705.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zflat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you have a hitch installed? If you do check the slop in it. I had the same problem and it turned out to be my hitch. I felt pretty silly after that one.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard that this is from the two piece drive shaft that are trucks are equipped with. I experience this also most of the time. Truck has 95K on it so far, with no issues.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you have the 32 gal fuel tank ??

It is notorious for a thud/bump due to fuel sloshing around in it when it is in the 5/8-7/8 level range due to not having sufficient baffling in the tank.

A 2 piece driveshaft can cause a similar issue, but it usually doesn't show till the vehicle has several thousand miles on it and has developed a wear ridge on the splines in the slip joint.

Last edited:

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive seen alot of people complain about this . they call it the 8 speed clunk.

tuned by jay greene

OP
OP
G

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a hitch installed? If you do check the slop in it. I had the same problem and it turned out to be my hitch. I felt pretty silly after that one.
No hitch. It does it.

OP
OP
G

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard that this is from the two piece drive shaft that are trucks are equipped with. I experience this also most of the time. Truck has 95K on it so far, with no issues.
My issue didn't start till PCU update & 1000 miles after,which is the teaching point after flashing pcu around 6000 miles. 1st 5000 had no issue.

OP
OP
G

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive seen alot of people complain about this . they call it the 8 speed clunk.

tuned by jay greene
I've seen it too, even back to 2011 models

OP
OP
G

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have the 32 gal fuel tank ??

It is notorious for a thud/bump due to fuel sloshing around in it when it is in the 5/8-7/8 level range due to not having sufficient baffling in the tank.

A 2 piece driveshaft can cause a similar issue, but it usually doesn't show till the vehicle has several thousand miles on it and has developed a wear ridge on the splines in the slip joint.
26 gallon tank but not the issue. Appears, empty, full, half. Explored that possibility

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
A lot of info out there on this topic. As said, some say it is the fuel in the tank and others say it's the trans itself. My 2013 1500 did this VERY lightly every once in a while and I had the standard size fuel tank.

On my new 2500 I have not had this feeling of a bump or a lurch a single time (with 31 gallon tank). This leads me to believe it is something with the 8 speed transmission. However as I said, mine was very light on rare occasions and almost not noticeable unless you drove the truck every day. Seems like this happens in varying degrees to people.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have this too, but only when slowing down to a stop never on take off that i have noticed. I have the smaller gas tank but I'm sure the thud of gas in a bigger tank would feel different than this

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this problem in my '02 Durango. It turned out to be the spare tire moving from not being properly secured out of the factory.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of folks with 8 Speeds mention this across all FCA lines. A few mention that its tough parking in their garage as it seems to want to lurch through the back wall. There are plenty of production variances, combined with some drivers being more sensitive than others makes for a wide variety of opinion. A lot of drivers just think its a truck thing. But the transmission does bump a bit and the character changes with each software update. I think the Diff gears ratio may also affect how much you feel the bump.

Last edited:

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine has done it from day one. Just did it yesterday on the way home.
Glad they are replacing my trans. (If it ever arrives to the dealership)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hunter99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wife's Grand Cherokee with the8-speed does this. Dealer said it's normal because it gets ahead of itself shifting down. Dunno. He also said if you do a little digging in other cars that have the transmission they do it as well.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Mine does it too all the time.

I read a thread about a guy that took apart part of his 2 piece driveshaft, lubed it all up, and reinstalled it and it went away completely. Wish I would have saved the thread.

I plan to have mine gone over and lubed up at some point as well. If you have a 2 pc driveshaft you can go look at it and literally see the part that doesnt look like the rest. Kind of hard to explain but from what I remember he removed some cover and lubed it up.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine does it too all the time.

I read a thread about a guy that took apart part of his 2 piece driveshaft, lubed it all up, and reinstalled it and it went away completely. Wish I would have saved the thread.

I plan to have mine gone over and lubed up at some point as well. If you have a 2 pc driveshaft you can go look at it and literally see the part that doesnt look like the rest. Kind of hard to explain but from what I remember he removed some cover and lubed it up.

Read post #4....if your new truck has this issue, then the driveshaft is a piece of crap.....it takes many miles to develop the wear ridge that causes this issue.

There should also be a zerk fitting right near the slip joint,. so no need to remove anything to 'lube it up'.

And to 'lube it up' correctly, would require taking it apart if there is no zerk, and that can lead to other issues if you put it back together wrong.

Last edited:

Dpressed1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to a Chrysler training 2 months ago and that subject came up. According to Chrysler its a normal thing. The thump felt is the abs module resetting/self testing. And instructor also said that some vehicles are felt more than others, specially on rams. So it could be a 'normal operation' condition. My 14 ram does it when coming to a stop or like 5 seconds after completely stopped.