"Bumping sensation in truck"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brand new ram does this. 8 speed 5.7L with about 400km on it now....

Should I be worried?

thamilton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey new guy here:

I just bought a 2016 Ram with 8 speed and it had 31k miles on it and mine has the bump. I've been two dealers already and the first one kinda blew me off and said it was normal and the second dealer just checked it out today and said they didn't feel what I was talking about. They went ahead and did some update and didn't charge the diagnostic fee but the first stop sign I stopped at leaving the dealership I felt it. Seriously?! Is this that normal that Dodge techs are just used to it?

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2017 RAM 1500 Laramie, with the Hemi and 8speed transmission. My truck did this for the first 800 miles or so, almost always at 5 MPH when it shifted down from 3 - 2. Supposed to be part the truck learning my driving style. Somewhere around 900 miles it went away and has never come back (now at 2,500 miles)

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is behind me now!

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went to a Chrysler training 2 months ago and that subject came up. According to Chrysler its a normal thing. The thump felt is the abs module resetting/self testing. And instructor also said that some vehicles are felt more than others, specially on rams. So it could be a 'normal operation' condition. My 14 ram does it when coming to a stop or like 5 seconds after completely stopped.

I fully understand what you are saying, but from my experience, EVERYTHING so far on my 2012 Ram has been 'normal operation', or 'that's normal" when I complain .

I have had to PROVE to them it's not normal to get them to fix it. They should already know it's not.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same problem as well. Although, my issue occured as soon as I started the truck. It definitely got worse when I got moving and seemed to have an association with the volume on my stereo. As soon as I turned up the volume it got worse. Sometimes when I looked in the rearview mirrors, everything just looked like it was rattling around. It could get so bad, just trying to hold a conversation with passengers was a screaming match. The worst part was all the girls always wanted to sit in the back; what's up with that?, I'm not a chauffeur. I don't even look or dress anything like a chauffeur? Totally stumped on that one to this day.

Anyhow, took it to the stealership and my suspicions were correct, but the issue is not covered under warranty. AS USUAL. However, the guy there was really nice and he recently got promoted from the electronics department. So he offered for me to drop my truck off at his place and he fixed it, FOR FREE!!!

He also got rid of those metal boxes with all the wires coming off them. Oh lord, were those an eyesore. Also, I finally have storage room under my back seat. That's super great, finally have a place for my umbrella and a spare pair of shoes. Lastly, the girls fight for shotgun again! YAY!!!!! But for some reason, I get this feeling in my gut they are unhappy with me. Oh well.

I did notice a scratch on a couple of my door panels. Not really sure why he even felt it necessary to remove those, but I'm thinking chances are he can't replace those for me since he didn't do the work at the stealership. I also didn't mind those speakers in my pillars. The new pillars could have at least matched. I guess I really shouldn't complain, it was free after all. Bumping Sensation is gone, problem solved! :happy107:

Sorry about that. It was that Title, I just couldn't resist... :naughty:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went to a Chrysler training 2 months ago and that subject came up. According to Chrysler its a normal thing. The thump felt is the abs module resetting/self testing. And instructor also said that some vehicles are felt more than others, specially on rams. So it could be a 'normal operation' condition. My 14 ram does it when coming to a stop or like 5 seconds after completely stopped.

That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

I've got the 5.7L, 8spd, and big fuel tank, and I've never experienced any kind of thump when braking, accelerating, or otherwise.
Was surprised to see how many people posting here have the issue.

I'll keep an eye/ear out for it from now on though.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mine did it once or twice but it wasn't really noticeable until a few days ago where I was on the turnpike and slowing down to pay the toll (EZ Pass wasn't working, different thread) coming from say 70 to about 30mph or so and the "clunk" sensation was more violent than it had ever been, almost to the point where I would have pulled over and looked under the truck IF I didn't already know what it was. Hard for me to believe that it is the ABS module resetting because of how it feels and if that is the case, it seems like a programming fix could change how it performs the reset/self-test so the occupants don't "feel" it.

Oh and just to be clear, I'm not doubting your training. If you have more bits of info from your classes that could help us learn more about our trucks, please continue to share.

OP
OP
G

gonecampingnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My "thumping didn't start until 1st oil change & update was available to fix 1-2 hard shifting & pcm communication issues. Up until update, 100% smooth & perfect. Fully think it's software related

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk