Buy salvage title and rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I'd walk away.

Me too, but anything that has to do with wiring can screw up anytime and be a costly plaque.

I'd look at cost to replace the elec. system on anything that that circuit touched or could have, Could be a lot more damage that is not seen, and damn near impossible to test for. heat and power surges do bad things to ECM's, the EVIC and the 45 billion other computers in these trucks.

I'd be asking why the insurance company totaled out a pretty much brand new truck that sells at the dealer for almost 50k. that pretty much means that they deemed it to need at least 25k to repair, and was cheaper to replace once the loss value is accounted.
If this isn't a main vehicle and you like pulling your hair out chasing gremlins then its not a bad thing, cause you may get lucky. But its a roll of the dice if your going to crap out or win big.

Ramped

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done burn cars before, this one looks like a pretty easy fix. If everything works, electrical wise, I wouldn't worry about problems down the road too much. If your handy, go for it. I will say, tho, that if any of the intake or air filter stuff has damage there will be water in the oil, since they hose them down pretty good. Check for evidence of that.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it is all personal preference, but I would never buy a branded title vehicle. Period. Don't care what the supposed issue that caused it was.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd buy if I planned on keeping it for a while.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in 2009 my fun car, a 1988 5.0 mustang 5 speed hatchback was rear ended parked in front of my house. Due to its age the insurance company totaled it, but I could have bought it back for $200.00. I regret now not doing it and repairing the damaged body parts. It had 210k miles on it and was in such good shape mechanical wise and exterior the Adjuster gave a little bit over 5K for it so I would have had enough to put it back into shape.

To this day I still kick myself for not buying it back. My point is that I would not hesitate buying a truck with a salvage title knowing that it was such a great buy $$$ wise with so little miles.

smokedbystang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
I always though a salvage/rebuilt title had major damage associated with them. Minor damage as they say would not warrant a salvage title. If it were me....hell No but it's your money.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a bad looking truck. nice options too.
i would ask why didn't they replace the headlights if they went through the trouble replacing the harness.
Here is what they say:
"We listed that this Dodge has minor fire damage under the hood. It mainly needs a front headlights and some cosmetic paint work. The fire was caused by after market headlights and faulty wiring. We replaced the wiring harness with a new one from Ram as well as the radiator and a few of the hoses. the wiper linkage looks burnt to. not sure what else is on its way out.

Luke

Attachments

• salvagetruck04.jpg
    salvagetruck04.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looking at those pictures it doesn't look bad at all. No lights on the dash is a good sign I guess. Id want to see if drive for a period of time without issue before Id commit. By replacing the radiator and couple other things around the front it probably doesn't look as bad as it did before. Im sure there were other things they replaced like the relay box thats right there and others.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Resale value might suck, might be hard to get full coverage insurance, dunno.

But that is a lot of truck for 24k.

I bought my wife an older Blazer that had a salvaged title once. Full coverage wasn't an issue

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not a bad looking truck. nice options too.
i would ask why didn't they replace the headlights if they went through the trouble replacing the harness.
Here is what they say:
"We listed that this Dodge has minor fire damage under the hood. It mainly needs a front headlights and some cosmetic paint work. The fire was caused by after market headlights and faulty wiring. We replaced the wiring harness with a new one from Ram as well as the radiator and a few of the hoses. the wiper linkage looks burnt to. not sure what else is on its way out.

Luke

Either the hood isn't latched or it's warped and/or the grill is warped. Something just doesn't look right with the alignment of the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is what they say:
"..... the wiper linkage looks burnt to. not sure what else is on its way out.

Luke

not 100% sure but isn't the wiper linkage pretty far from the headlights? may have been a bigger fire than stated in my interpretations. With the other parts replaced, currently just may not look as bad as it actually was. I still express concerns with the actual "bargain" it may truly be in the end.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Either the hood isn't latched or it's warped and/or the grill is warped. Something just doesn't look right with the alignment of the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that too meow, could just be cosmetic. But yes, damage

Luke

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not 100% sure but isn't the wiper linkage pretty far from the headlights? may have been a bigger fire than stated in my interpretations. With the other parts replaced, currently just may not look as bad as it actually was. I still express concerns with the actual "bargain" it may truly be in the end.

Exactly, that's why I posted that pic too. Ultimately, it's his decision. I'd have to see it in person before buying

Luke