Buying a 17 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
Hi all, I'm considering trading In my 11 f150 5.0 crew cab lariat for a 17 ram 1500 crewcab 4x4 laramie. There's a few dealers around me and so far I'm seeing imho what appear to be good deals, I found a few trucks same options just different colors for 40k Msrp is around 52, then all incentives bring it down to about 40, is there anything with a 17 that doesent like it or has problems? Just wanting to know. I do like the keyless go thing. Not sure about the knob shifter yet but overall very nice looking truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raggdoll

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie, 2018 Sport, 2021 3500 6.7, 2014 Sport, 2021 Classic Night Express
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure why all manufacturers don't go keyless. It's absolutely the BEST!!!!

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
Not sure why all manufacturers don't go keyless. It's absolutely the BEST!!!!

My fathers 2015 challenger has it and I think it's great, keep the keys in your pocket, I love it!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I love my 17 ram so far and I'm historically a Ford man. Great truck so far

dano66

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Traded my 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost Lariat in for a 2017 Ram 1500 Sport in December 2016. That Ford is a distant memory and I couldn't be more pleased with my Ram. Just do it already!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know a lot of people on here hate the rotary knob, i have two cars with it now and have no issues with it.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2016 1500Ram Laramie crew cab. I've owned 4 Ram Trucks including 2 Ecodiesels.

I had never driven a 5.7 hemi. All I can say is wow! The only thing the Ecos had over the Hemi was MPG.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
Well I'm stopping by the dealer today to see if I can figure out the payments, it's gonna suck Becuase I've only had the ford since July so I haven't paid much off of it. But worth a shot to see what they can do

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You must really hate that ford. That's going to be tough deal to not loose your ass. The ram is a nice truck. I have keyless on this one and our durango. Dial shifter is a non issue, really how often do you is it once it's in drive.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
You must really hate that ford. That's going to be tough deal to not loose your ass. The ram is a nice truck. I have keyless on this one and our durango. Dial shifter is a non issue, really how often do you is it once it's in drive.

I really love the ford, just thinking if I want to lift and and stuff, that's a lot of money to put into a truck with 65k miles, I'd rather start with something fresh, but the only good thing I have going for me is I got the truck for a wicked good deal so hopefully the trade in won't be too bad, but I figure take the loss and get something brand new and then keep that for 5 or so years. I'm going to atleast run the numbers and see

I found a loan calculator online that has trade in and amount owed on trade in. Playing with that and if that's anything near correct they payments would not actually be that bad

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought your Ford was newer. My bad ,it shouldn't be that bad of a trade.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
I thought your Ford was newer. My bad ,it shouldn't be that bad of a trade.

It's an 11, amazing truck, in blessed to have been able to buy it soon after I tuned 18, no it wasn't given to me. I pay for it, hard work pays off.. I work 60 hour weeks. I wouldn't be thinking about trading it if I didn't think getting a newer truck is something I could afford or is the right thing to do. I don't like the look of the new fords.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's an 11, amazing truck, in blessed to have been able to buy it soon after I tuned 18, no it wasn't given to me. I pay for it, hard work pays off.. I work 60 hour weeks. I wouldn't be thinking about trading it if I didn't think getting a newer truck is something I could afford or is the right thing to do. I don't like the look of the new fords.

This is going to sound like the "old" person in me. IMO unless you can break even on your trade (trade it for what you owe) dont do it until you can. As someone talking with experience DONT get in the negative equity game and roll it into new loans. Because i always wanted new i did this and it took me a long time to get out of it.

Also look at the overall price and not just the monthly price. a dealer will play games to get you into that monthly price you want (extend length of loans). There are plenty of tools out there online now days to so you can get a close estimate of what a monthly payment can be with the trade and new purchase.

bubbagumpshrimp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is going to sound like the "old" person in me. IMO unless you can break even on your trade (trade it for what you owe) dont do it until you can. As someone talking with experience DONT get in the negative equity game and roll it into new loans. Because i always wanted new i did this and it took me a long time to get out of it.

Also look at the overall price and not just the monthly price. a dealer will play games to get you into that monthly price you want (extend length of loans). There are plenty of tools out there online now days to so you can get a close estimate of what a monthly payment can be with the trade and new purchase.

Yup. I did it twice years ago. Speaking from experience...if you roll-in a sizable amount of negative equity on the new truck...you're going to realize that you got bent over and done dry sooner or later.

OP...if you're going by a dealer to try and figure the payment thing out...you're already WAY behind the curve. As @Baum said...they'll just get you into an ~84 month lease to get your payment down to make it look like (payment wise) you didn't get completely screwed.

Your truck only has 65k on it and it's only six years old. In the grand scheme of things...that isn't bad. My advice would be to keep what you've got.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
Yup. I did it twice years ago. Speaking from experience...if you roll-in a sizable amount of negative equity on the new truck...you're going to realize that you got bent over and done dry sooner or later.

OP...if you're going by a dealer to try and figure the payment thing out...you're already WAY behind the curve. As @Baum said...they'll just get you into an ~84 month lease to get your payment down to make it look like (payment wise) you didn't get completely screwed.

Your truck only has 65k on it and it's only six years old. In the grand scheme of things...that isn't bad. My advice would be to keep what you've got.

No im not going by what the dealer is saying for payments, I'm using online calculators.... and yes I know my truck isn't that old and 65k isn't that many miles... but I wanna do some stuff to my truck. But don't want to go put 1500 for the lift. 2500 for wheels and tires, another 1000 for stereo. Into the truck. I just don't to put this money into it, then in a year or so when it's got probaly 70-75k miles on it it'll be getting older. I want to atleast see what I can get tradein and see if it's worth it. But it's just a kid being a kid who wants the newest things.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
........I just don't to put this money into it, then in a year or so when it's got probaly 70-75k miles on it it'll be getting older. I want to atleast see what I can get tradein and see if it's worth it. But it's just a kid being a kid who wants the newest things.

Ha ha, been there and bought a lot of cars.

Loan Calculator - Bankrate.com

Do yourself a favor and have the numbers printed out when you go in. All of them. Plug in the numbers here and arm yourself!

Have Bluebook trade value (NADA and Kelley) as they'll try to give you much lower "Auction book value" trade.

Know the payoff, know your down payment, finance rates and figure out your your monthly. This site is great! Good luck

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You mention a 2017 Laramie. Have you considered a 16 lower trim model that as you get money you can put it into the truck? Starting with the basics like 3.92 gears with hemi and 8 speed so you can get the lift, wheels and tires then as you save money you can install the stereo and whatever else you want. I'll bet there are killer deals to be had on a leftover 16.

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
You mention a 2017 Laramie. Have you considered a 16 lower trim model that as you get money you can put it into the truck? Starting with the basics like 3.92 gears with hemi and 8 speed so you can get the lift, wheels and tires then as you save money you can install the stereo and whatever else you want. I'll bet there are killer deals to be had on a leftover 16.

After owning the ford lariat, the rams version of the Laramie I won't own anything less. The way I'm looking st it is if I'm spending the money, may as well get it the way I want it. Probaly won't even lift it but it's a possibility

OP
OP
D

D_murph2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Don't own one yet
Engine
Don't own one get
I filled out a what's my vehicle worth on the dealers website, it uses edmunds.. it says excellent condition would be 19,500 and clean would be 18000.... I owe more than that.. so Idk if it's worth driving 1 hour to the dealer if that's what I'll get for my truck