Buying advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning.

Purpose of this purchase is to lower my monthly payment.

I am looking at buying a 2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab with the extended bed.

1. The build sheet says Heavy Duty front and Rear Shocks. How are these different from the standard 4x4 shocks? I think it is safe to assume it is not the air suspension - since the build sheet says shocks I would also assume it is not the coil link suspension either.....

2. do these packages/rating add anything to the truck? Or are they merely just the ratings? I cannot figure this out from the 2014 brochure or build sheet

- GVWR: 6;800 lbs

- 1400# Maximum Payload

3. the truck i am looking at has 3.92s (8 gears) vs my current tundra that has 4.30s (6 gears).
How well do these trucks tow? Intend to buy a 7k lbs + travel trailer at some point down the road. That being said how can I visually tell if this truck has all the HD engine/trans/oil coolers in it? According to the build sheet it does have the active grill shutters.

I will be trading in a 2015 Tundra Crewcab. I have 28k miles on my Tundra and the Ram I am looking at has 50k and is a certified pre-owned Ram by Ram. Should I be scared about the reliability of the Ram? My Tundra has be worry free granted it is still new. According to the carfax this Ram has had no issues - only routine maintenance has been preformed.

ANY Ramisms I need to know about before I sit and negotiate?!?! such as engine noises, rust, electrical, brake noises??????? I do not want to regret anything.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCED FOR THE HELP!

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. The heavy duty shocks are part of the Outdoorsman package. They are simply upgraded offroad shocks. The suspension has coilover/shock in the front, and separate coils and shocks in the rear.

2. 6800 GVWR is simply the maximum weight of the truck plus payload (passengers, gear, tools, etc.). 1400 is your maximum payload.

3. 2014 Crew Cab, 6' 4" bed, Hemi, 3.92 gears has a max tow rating of 10,050 lbs. It will tow a 7000 lb camper with no problem.

Since it's a used truck, I would ask the dealer if you can drive it for the afternoon. That will give you the best idea on whether you'll like it or not. Also, you should be able to negotiate an extended factory warranty through the dealer.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Be careful

Make sure you research this VERY carefully..

You say the Ram payload is 1400 pounds..
a 7000 lb Trailer will have a tongue weight of roughly 1000 pounds, probably more.Add the weight of a good WDH hitch and your down a bit more, add the weight of any gearr, any passengers, etc and you will very quickly use up that 400 pounds.

I have no knowledge about the overall reliability of the Ram 1500, however I just purchased my new dodge because I did what you are getting ready to do, and then found out I was over capacity. I had a f150 ecoboost I bought new, had a 10K tow rating, however my 6500 lb trailer and me and the wife and 2 kids quickly had it over its max available capacity. I think You need to think Long term, and a truck with more payload will give you more options in the future if you are sincere in your wish to buy a trailer.. 1400 pounds is kinda dismal, and you will overload it much sooner than you reach your pulling tow limit.

I'm not saying go out and buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, but look for something with a few more pounds of payload.

One more thing, if you are looking at campers, typically the weight listed is a dry weight..(weight minus the batteries, propane tanks and any gear you store inside) so in reality it could be a fair amount heavier eating up even more of the payload.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate all the responses. @Ronheater70 thank you for pointing that out about the misc gear additions to the capacity. I understand the ratings and concerns when towing over X amount of lbs I just want to make sure this Ram as it is configured does not feel wimpy or powerless when it gets loaded up.

MY Tundra pulls like a champ - I am just getting tired of the payments.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry to sound like I am prying, but round about what are payments on a Tundra ?

F.O.F

OP
OP
V

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone taken the 1500 off-road? how capable are they? I talking with in reason - uphill rocky and gravely road, mud, articulation? Has any experienced 4x4 issue any way around 50k miles?

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I suggest that you take a longer look at what you're doing. The only reason you are lowering payments is because you're giving something up- you're buying a truck with nearly double the miles. At to that amount the amount that the dealer is going to make on the deal- they're not in it for free. You're probably extending the term of the loan, too.
If your Toyota meets your needs and is trouble free and you don't hate it I'd think the best financial decision is to stand pat.
That said, I graduated from the school of rationalizing with high honors so I could also make you believe it's the smartest thing ever!
Good luck either way.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that truck that great of a deal? im going to guess the outdoorsman is probably going for 25-30k?

If so depending on what you are looking to spend some dealers will get rid of new big horns for that price.

OP
OP
V

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that truck that great of a deal? im going to guess the outdoorsman is probably going for 25-30k?

If so depending on what you are looking to spend some dealers will get rid of new big horns for that price.

the truck is priced through USAA for 28k I look to put about 5-8k down on it depending on how much i get for my Tundra and then finance in the lower 20s.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Bought my new Express for 27k in December.

I would make sure you cant find new close to that price.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Bought my new Express for 27k in December.

I would make sure you cant find new close to that price.

Not really a fair comparison to a crew cab outdoorsman. Crew cabs cost more and the outdoorsman is a nicer truck than an express.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well I could of had a CC for just alittle more, and it really just depends on the options of each truck, IMO the outdoors man is not really a nicer truck.

SilverRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Well I could of had a CC for just alittle more, and it really just depends on the options of each truck, IMO the outdoors man is not really a nicer truck.

You're right "nicer" is an opinion. The outdoorsman has a higher value on paper how about that? NADA values a 2014 Outdoorsman 4x4 with 50k miles at 28,250 without extra options.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
But what all do you get for that higher price, I did not see much difference in options when I was looking .
I know bucket seats/leather were one but dont remember much else.

He did ask for buying advise, myself I would not buy a truck with 50k on the clock when for a few thousand more you can have new, shoot even entertain buying "the not as nice truck" thats new for close to the same price as the used one.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
in the end, i am not sure you will lower your payment enough to justify the trade. that being said, i feel the ram is equal quality to the toyota.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
The advice ronheater gave you is very good. Read and reread that and then ask questions if need be.

You can't go by tow ratings. Most half ton trucks run out of payload well before they hit the oem tow ratings.

The 2015 Silverado i had, had 1704 lbs of payload. With my wife and two kids in that truck, loaded for camping with all the gear, with my tt, which is 6k gvwr, i only had a few hunderd lbs of payload left. I'd bet that load i had on (week camping trip) would have had both the ram your looking at, and your current tundra over loaded, (payload).

Imo a 7k gross tt is pushing the upper limits of 1/2 ton towing. Some of the campers we have been looking at are 7-7500 gvwr and over 29' long and you can see what i upgraded to in December.

Just my .02, i do like more margin than most. I agree with 69gwc, better to get a new express or tradesman for similar money than a 3 yr old truck with 50k. I love my tradesman, but i am a simple country hick. Lol. Good luck.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I gotta have the options and keep your current truck as you get hit on both ends of the deal.