Buying on Monday...Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After some searching around at Ford, GMC, and Ram I have decided on a Ram. I felt like I got the best overall value and really liked the interior of the Ram. I did some local shopping and also had a co worker call a friend of his. Long story short I will be dealing out of town with the co workers friend in the business. I actually will not have to travel to the dealer. They offered to drive to my house. This helps a lot as my wife is deployed and I have both my younger children to care for. I ended up with a 2016 Laramie 4x4 with the following options:

Bucket Seats
Protection Group
Convenience Group
Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
5.7-Liter
Rear Window Defroster
Power Sunroof
LED Bed Lighting
Chrome Body Side Molding
32-Gallon Fuel Tank
Uconnect® 8.4 NAV
Single Disc Remote CD Player
Remote Start System
Trailer Brake Control
Spray-In Bedliner

Here are some questions:

1. I read about free oil changes on 2016 models sold in the South east (Georgia). Do I need to go to that dealer?

2. I want to add the cabin filter. Do I just look up a 2017, buy it and install behind the glove box? Or do I need to look to see if it is compatible?

3. I saw a post awhile back about a product that will assist with the tail gate lowering. What was it?

I am planning on adding a few accessories such as tint, side steps, roll up tonneau, tail gate chrome, and the ram sill plates. I am looking for pics of the OEM Ram molded steps is the bright color as well as home made type bike racks for the bed. I would like to make something the can hold four bikes standing up. two facing forward and two backwards. Preferably without taking the front tires off.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
1. I read about free oil changes on 2016 models sold in the South east (Georgia). Do I need to go to that dealer?

2. I want to add the cabin filter. Do I just look up a 2017, buy it and install behind the glove box? Or do I need to look to see if it is compatible?

3. I saw a post awhile back about a product that will assist with the tail gate lowering. What was it?

1. My oil change contract was through a dealer but I can go to any dealer for a free oil change.

2. https://www.genosgarage.com/product/gg-cff1012/interior-replacement-parts

3. https://www.amazon.com/Dee-Zee-DZ43...2013:ram:1500&keywords=deezee+tailgate+assist

Congradualtion on your new truck.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you! Ill check to see if I have the HVAC door when the truck is delivered first.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats on the new truck and thanks to your wife for her service to our great country

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
You can get the cabin air filter parts cheaper on amazon

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
I just purchased the Laramie with the convenience package last fall. I believe you are going to enjoy the ride. My last car was a 2006 Cadillac STS. The STS was a nice ride! Apples to oranges but I gotta say this truck is as nice if not nicer! Hands down, it's way more comfortable!

Congrats and enjoy!

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Nice truck, consider adding mud flaps as even in Georgia rocks and sand can play havoc with the paint behind the wheels.

The cabin filter is the same as the Dodge Journey and the number should show up in any number of posts on the forum.

Amazon is a good choice but I went to Walmart and bought a Fram filter. In the store it was $35 but by ordering it on line with local pickup, it was $19. Same filter.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
After some searching around at Ford, GMC, and Ram I have decided on a Ram. ... I ended up with a 2016 Laramie 4x4 with the following options:

Excellent choice. Welcome to the club!

3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Very nice! You'll like the extra "pep" of the 3.92 gears.

Here are some questions:

Different dealers have different deals. Some do this, some don't. I would call up your nearest dealer and ask if they honor this deal. If they don't, move onto the next one, and then the next one if necessary, and so on.

As others have said, yes, yours definitely is compatible. If it doesn't have the door already, its still an easy modification. You can buy the kit for about $30 from a couple different places, or save a couple dollars (literally only a couple) and buy the pieces separately. The door is part # 68052292AA. The filter is the same type used by later model Jeep Compass and Dodge Journey (among others).

Dee Zee DZ43301 Tailgate Assist Shock. Available for just under $25 on Amazon. I didn't do this, not sure why. I guess I just feel its unnecessary, but to each their own. I also don't have children, which may be a deciding factor.

I am planning on adding a few accessories such as tint, side steps, roll up tonneau, tail gate chrome, and the ram sill plates.

Someone mentioned the Bak Revolver X2 earlier. If you can afford it, thats one nice cover. I chose to go with a soft cover thats half the money, because I've had excellent luck with them; Access tonneau covers. I went with the Lorado because I wanted at least a somewhat low profile look.

OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tip on flaps and filter. I'll check into some weather tech flaps.

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your free oil change offer just depends on the dealer. Most do something like this, so it all depends on the specific terms. Where I bought my Ram (from the dealership group I work for) I have to service at our Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep store to get the free offer.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
congrats on the ride! i would skip the oil changes as you are locked in to a specific oil. check behind the glove box, you may already have the door for cab filter.

OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck got delivered to my door today. Very pleased with it! I ended up ordering these steps https://www.realtruck.com/aps-6-brushed-aluminum-iboards/ and and undercover flex cover https://www.undertonneaucover.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=FX-RAM

After the steps are installed I will order some no drill weather tech flaps, cabin filter, and the low profile weather tech bug shield.

I removed the font plate holder. Is anyone aware of a clean looking way to fill the bolt holes?

I also had the "service airbag" warning come on upon delivery. I quick search found it to likely be the yellow airbag fuse. Ill look at that tomorrow.

Will the infotainment system recognize a thumb drive with my music library from iTunes? Most stuff only recognizes mp3 only.

Window tint scheduled for Friday!

OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Excellent choice. Welcome to the club!

Someone mentioned the Bak Revolver X2 earlier. If you can afford it, thats one nice cover. I chose to go with a soft cover thats half the money, because I've had excellent luck with them; Access tonneau covers. I went with the Lorado because I wanted at least a somewhat low profile look.

An access was what i was going to get until my friend recommended the undercover. He had an access on the truck I sold him back in 2009 and now a undercover on his 2013 F150. The access was a great cover.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
The truck got delivered to my door today. Very pleased with it! I ended up ordering these steps https://www.realtruck.com/aps-6-brushed-aluminum-iboards/ and and undercover flex cover https://www.undertonneaucover.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=FX-RAM

After the steps are installed I will order some no drill weather tech flaps, cabin filter, and the low profile weather tech bug shield.

I removed the font plate holder. Is anyone aware of a clean looking way to fill the bolt holes?

I also had the "service airbag" warning come on upon delivery. I quick search found it to likely be the yellow airbag fuse. Ill look at that tomorrow.

Will the infotainment system recognize a thumb drive with my music library from iTunes? Most stuff only recognizes mp3 only.

Window tint scheduled for Friday!

My system recognized everything on my thumb drive.

OP
OP
S

stygz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you on the thumb drive comment. I was going to assume a no go.

Took truck in to dealer regarding the airbag. It was an easy fix. Just a seat belt connector.

Dealer had the parts for the cabin filter for $30. I installed it this afternoon. A tip: attach a zip tie to the black cord for easy retrieval when reinstalling the glove box. I was able to leave the zip tie on for future cabin filter changes without interference

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I literally just bough 3/8" chrome grommets from Lowes Monday. You have to bend out the tabs just a tad. It looks decent, better than holes.

Larry%20Grommets%20afar_zpsqcuctftq.jpg

Larry%20Grommets%20zoom_zpskbfarh80.jpg