Buying Used Ram - Contract Language Question - Flooding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Long story short I worked my way to a verbal agreement on a used truck in Houston prior to Hurricane Harvey coming in like an *******. Salesman ensures me that the truck is fine and wasn't in the path of flooding and everything is as it was prior to the storm hitting. Sounds great.

My question is: is there any standard verbiage or written agreement I can get worked into the contract basically saying that if the truck was flooded and they lied to me then they're responsible for the truck or something like that? I'm 5 hours away and don't want to waste my time/weekend on something that's been ruined by recent events and would want this agreement signed and worked into the contract before heading down.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Contract stuff is just a long and winding road with attorneys and ambiguity. I'd be asking for pictures of their lot and the truck sitting in their lot and maybe the salesman's cell phone with date and time in the same picture. Or, get the salesman on the phone and ask him to shoot a picture and text it to you immediately.

It would be REALLY difficult for them lie about a flood if there is one. If they drag their feet or make any excuses I think you have your answer.

Or, look up some nearby business and call them..... call a pizza place across the street and see if they are open for business. Ask them what the parking lot looks like across the street.

RedFalcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What area of Houston is the dealership located in?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
gimme the dealership ill tell you if they flooded, **** pretty much all of us in houston flooded, my mothers house is above a dam, and still flooded, if he is in houston and didnt flood id be really shocked

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I'd start looking for another truck. As was mentioned above--give one of the guys from Houston the name of the dealership and they can tell you if the dealership was "under water" so to speak----. The phrase "Salesman ensures me" scares me to death.
Jay

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would be Leary of buying any used vehicle in your area after all this flooding. Flood cars have electrical issues to the day they junked.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I read that its possible that 1 million vehicles will be flooded due to Harvey.

I'd probably pass too...just to be safe. Good luck with what you choose to do.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is always another used truck some place else. if youre doubting it then you will have that worry for the entire time you have the truck

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Unless a member here can personally check it for you, run for the hills!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
There is always another used truck some place else. if youre doubting it then you will have that worry for the entire time you have the truck

^+1 Yes I agree, there are plenty of trucks everywhere so don't be too quick to decide, take your time n inspect the **** out of it. They can clean a flooded vehicle but they can't get everywhere so look on top of frame rails,bed rails,all little crevices that they will most certainly miss, then you can walk or get the truck really cheap but beware, flood vehicles may not show signs of damage for months cause it takes a little time to corrode the electrical system. Good luck on your hunt n keep us informed.

freefallin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
gimme the dealership ill tell you if they flooded, **** pretty much all of us in houston flooded, my mothers house is above a dam, and still flooded, if he is in houston and didnt flood id be really shocked

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I was in contact with AutoNation CDJR Houston. I did text the salesman on Tuesday, but I wasn't going to ask him about the truck, not after what they must've gone through. He voluntarily mentioned that he believes that the truck was moved into the body shop.

Demon, do you know how bad it flooded at that dealer?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My thanks to the OP. Not to hijack the thread. but this is a great warning for all of us.
Also, not to diminish or ignore the suffering and loss in Houston, but the used car market across the country is going to be sketchy for a year or more as dealers attempt to "distribute" flood damaged vehicles into areas where folks will be less aware of the risk.

This happened after Katrina and Sandy too. Its sad and I'm sure at some level the dealers or insurance companies are trying to minimize their losses, but a vehicle that has been submerged is going to have issues, plain and simple.

Not every state will require a salvage certification on the title, so used car buyers beware.

OBTW, returning to topic, I agree with the advice received so far, unless someone can give you a visual confirmation the dealer is on high ground---RUN LIKE HELL!

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This may actually be a benefit for the OP. After carefully checking as to if the dealer was affected by the flooding, if all indications point to it was not damaged use that as a bargaining chip with the dealer. Be very resistant about buying it because of your fear it is now a flood car (lay it on thick) and see if they come back with a better number to entice you to buy.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My thanks to the OP. Not to hijack the thread. but this is a great warning for all of us.
Also, not to diminish or ignore the suffering and loss in Houston, but the used car market across the country is going to be sketchy for a year or more as dealers attempt to "distribute" flood damaged vehicles into areas where folks will be less aware of the risk.

This happened after Katrina and Sandy too. Its sad and I'm sure at some level the dealers or insurance companies are trying to minimize their losses, but a vehicle that has been submerged is going to have issues, plain and simple.

Not every state will require a salvage certification on the title, so used car buyers beware.

OBTW, returning to topic, I agree with the advice received so far, unless someone can give you a visual confirmation the dealer is on high ground---RUN LIKE HELL!

X2

Great info and worth remembering all the flooded vehicles on the market after past disasters. A buddy of mine is a life long car guy and has an inspection business. He can tell within 30 seconds of looking at a vehicle if it's been in an accident or flooded. After having him show me some things on prospective cars, I'd never buy a used car without getting a professional eye on it. Just too many bad things can happen.

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks for all the input guys, this was super helpful. The dealership is Finnegans of Rosenberg, outside of Houston. I've called multiple businesses along the strip they're on and everyone said they were fine regarding flooding, they were just closed due to employees not being able to get out of their homes to come to work. A performance truck shop had multiple customers' rigs in the lot and the guy there said they were all perfectly fine, and he had no reason whatsoever to lie to me about it.

Prior to the storm, I had a family member take the rig to a different dealership and paid around $150 for them to do an in-depth inspection, not their basic "multi-point inspection". Basically they went over everything as if they were taking the rig as a trade-in, it took them 3 hours and they came back with a couple repairs (warrantied) I had the seller fix as part of the agreement.

I *think* I'll be ok and am going to go check it out; if not, I get an enjoyable weekend in Houston. [emoji847]

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I read that its possible that 1 million vehicles will be flooded due to Harvey.

I'd probably pass too...just to be safe. Good luck with what you choose to do.

6 months from now those Harvey vehicles will be on used car lots all over the country.
Unless they are totally mashed when recovered they are "refurbished" and sent to dealer auctions.

My area is one that is a typical dumping round for flood cars.

car buyer: "what is that mildew smell? "
Salesman : "Ahh, I think someone left a window down and it might have gotten rained in"

OP
OP
matt.davidson09

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
6 months from now those Harvey vehicles will be on used car lots all over the country.

Unless they are totally mashed when recovered they are "refurbished" and sent to dealer auctions.

My area is one that is a typical dumping round for flood cars.

car buyer: "what is that mildew smell? "

Salesman : "Ahh, I think someone left a window down and it might have gotten rained in"

Yeah man that's so shady. It's especially believable on these RAMs with the 3rd brake light leakage problems.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Provided you had the VIN before the flood and are heading to buy this weekend it would be amazing if they could have rehabed a flooded vehicle in just a couple of days.

People are still under water or just starting to recover.

The real flooded rehabs will be entering the market after they are declared losses to insurance and people buy them and sell them with a salvage title.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
just an FYI, the carfax WILL show everywhere the vehicle was titled, so for all the out of towners, do background checks on cars

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

There was a special on TV afew years ago. Flood cars designated as totaled, required to be junked, showed up on used car lots.