Bypassing TIPM module for low beam on 2016 3500??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So i am at a loss on this one...

I had a 2015 ram ecodiesel loaded with every option available and one of those was the 120v outlet on the dash. One of the wires running to that outlet is a white wire w/green strip and it happened to come live (12V DC analog) when the headlights were turned on. I ended up using that initially to control my HIDs in my 2015. The downside was that the HIDs would come on with the parking lights also which was fine but eventually irritated me because when you remote started the truck they would come on... So i went searching and ended up soldering a wire directly to the headlight switch on the dash. There was a pin for the low beam that came active with a 12v negative analog signal and worked great, the lights functioned perfectly and the TIPM module had been bypassed via a simple relay that was just wired for a negative signal...nothing to it.

Now on to my 2016... i now have myself a 2016 ram 3500 cummins. I decided i wanted to throw some LED headlights in it and immediately thought i could solder on to the headlight switch again like i did on my 2015. Soldered on to the exact same spot and what do you know, it DOESN'T work. I tested the spot and every other spot i could find on this truck and it seems Ram has dropped the power running through the headlight switch now to such a minimal amount that it can't active a relay....and my other problem being that i do not have the 120v outlet in this truck so i can no longer use that as an alternative...

I have spent hours testing the circuit boards and wires etc..I have yet to find a 12V (positive or negative) analog signal that comes live with the low beam (or parking lights for that matter). I DO NOT want to use the retrosource harness as right now the conversion from CDN to USD is terrible, not to mention its $100 USD for a part i feel i can avoid using. If it comes down to it i will bite the bullet and just buy the harness..although the harness only has a 50% chance of working on the 2500/3500 trucks.

So long story short.. Is there anyone out there with a 2016 that has managed to bypass the TIPM module to control the low beams via relay? Every wire or circuit i can find on this truck is negative and uses a digital signal so it upsets the TIPM when you tap in to it. I have no problem soldering on to the circuits in this truck and voiding warranty. I just simply want to bypass the TIPM for the lowbeam control without buying a (currently $135 CAD) harness..

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I know what some will think "why not just buy the TRS harness"... I will do this as a last resort if it comes down to it, but the harness still only has a 50/50 chance of working so i would rather just find a simple way to bypass the TIPM like on my 2015..

Thanks in advance for anyone who actually followed that and can help! I did manage to bypass the TIPM on the highbeam already in the 2016, just the low beam that is kicking my a*s.

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm gonna be that guy who just says.."buy the harness"

No headache. Warranty works cause I used it. And all plug and play.

TheAutoLEDcorp hooked me up with full front end. Hid lows, led fogs and led highs for 435 shipped.

Had an issue with a led going bad. Replaced it, no questions asked.

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Here is a pic

Attachments

• 20161115_163654.jpg
    20161115_163654.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
E

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am all for supporting TRS and having a plug and play harness, however, my issue i am facing is not only the price tag which seems absurd to me...but there is only a 50% chance of it working on a 3500 where as it's more of a 95% chance of working on a 1500. If it does not work they will happily take it back but i am then out shipping to get it to me and to get it back to them (approx $50). So rather than go and potentially waste upwards of $50 i would rather just bypass it like i managed to in the '15 which is free considering i have more relays and wire in my garage than the main Lordco warehouse has. I appreciate the reply but i am looking to bypass, absolute last resort is order a harness.

I'm gonna be that guy who just says.."buy the harness"

No headache. Warranty works cause I used it. And all plug and play.

TheAutoLEDcorp hooked me up with full front end. Hid lows, led fogs and led highs for 435 shipped.

Had an issue with a led going bad. Replaced it, no questions asked.

OP
OP
E

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well it seems there is a beyond simple solution.... Putco Nite-lux led kits with anti-flicker module..plug and play on all dodge rams including 2016s. Has anyone else tried putco led kits on 2016 rams? The local chrysler dealer claims they work great without any issues and so does putco. no light out error and no "30 mins and lights go out until you restart the truck" issue.

chrisc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So i am at a loss on this one...

I had a 2015 ram ecodiesel loaded with every option available and one of those was the 120v outlet on the dash. One of the wires running to that outlet is a white wire w/green strip and it happened to come live (12V DC analog) when the headlights were turned on. I ended up using that initially to control my HIDs in my 2015. The downside was that the HIDs would come on with the parking lights also which was fine but eventually irritated me because when you remote started the truck they would come on... So i went searching and ended up soldering a wire directly to the headlight switch on the dash. There was a pin for the low beam that came active with a 12v negative analog signal and worked great, the lights functioned perfectly and the TIPM module had been bypassed via a simple relay that was just wired for a negative signal...nothing to it.

Now on to my 2016... i now have myself a 2016 ram 3500 cummins. I decided i wanted to throw some LED headlights in it and immediately thought i could solder on to the headlight switch again like i did on my 2015. Soldered on to the exact same spot and what do you know, it DOESN'T work. I tested the spot and every other spot i could find on this truck and it seems Ram has dropped the power running through the headlight switch now to such a minimal amount that it can't active a relay....and my other problem being that i do not have the 120v outlet in this truck so i can no longer use that as an alternative...

I have spent hours testing the circuit boards and wires etc..I have yet to find a 12V (positive or negative) analog signal that comes live with the low beam (or parking lights for that matter). I DO NOT want to use the retrosource harness as right now the conversion from CDN to USD is terrible, not to mention its $100 USD for a part i feel i can avoid using. If it comes down to it i will bite the bullet and just buy the harness..although the harness only has a 50% chance of working on the 2500/3500 trucks.

So long story short.. Is there anyone out there with a 2016 that has managed to bypass the TIPM module to control the low beams via relay? Every wire or circuit i can find on this truck is negative and uses a digital signal so it upsets the TIPM when you tap in to it. I have no problem soldering on to the circuits in this truck and voiding warranty. I just simply want to bypass the TIPM for the lowbeam control without buying a (currently $135 CAD) harness..

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I know what some will think "why not just buy the TRS harness"... I will do this as a last resort if it comes down to it, but the harness still only has a 50/50 chance of working so i would rather just find a simple way to bypass the TIPM like on my 2015..

Thanks in advance for anyone who actually followed that and can help! I did manage to bypass the TIPM on the highbeam already in the 2016, just the low beam that is kicking my a*s.
I just installed hid's in my 2012, and all I had to do was install a 50watt/6ohm resister harness between the headlight connection and the hid's. Here's a link. BTW- no tipm errors or flickering.
Classy Autos H13 9008 HID Conversion Kit Error Free w/ Load Resistor Wiring Harness Adapter (2 Pieces) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXYBLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kYJmyb6EKAHS0

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just installed hid's in my 2012, and all I had to do was install a 50watt/6ohm resister harness between the headlight connection and the hid's. Here's a link. BTW- no tipm errors or flickering.
Classy Autos H13 9008 HID Conversion Kit Error Free w/ Load Resistor Wiring Harness Adapter (2 Pieces) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009JXYBLS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_kYJmyb6EKAHS0

Sent from my 9020A using Tapatalk

I believe the 2012 and prior are plug and play with almost all kits..2011 and prior i know any kit will work as i must have had 20 different random plug and play kits in my 2011 1500 when i would build headlights for customers. 2013 - 15 are a PITA and only some kits will work, 2016 was a whole new disaster.

....on the plus side though i did manage to find a LED kit that is plug and play on ALL Ram pickups and works flawlessly. Putco Silver-Lux. From what i and my local Chrysler dealer understand it is one of the only kits out there that actually works in the newer rams. Bright source works 50% of the time the dealer said, and TRS relay harness works 50% of the time (on 2500/3500).

So for anyone else with a newer Ram looking to upgrade the lighting, Putco Silver-Lux will work.