Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > General Discussions

General Discussions

Can you trade in and pay cash

This is a discussion on Can you trade in and pay cash within the General Discussions forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by baum not these days at dealers. they want you to finance through them so they can get ...

Like Tree15Likes

Sponsored By: All Mopar Parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 2500
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Originally Posted by baum View Post
not these days at dealers. they want you to finance through them so they can get a kickback. most of the time when you see a "best price" online type add it includes some sort of 500-1000 finance "cash back" also.
There is "accounting tricks" a dealer can do to get you that finance rebate credit if you have hyper positive equity on your trade value.

Cliff notes is they basically cut you a check for the difference, you finance for the minimum needed to get the rebate and then you make one payment to pay it off on the first payment.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: 5.7
You can probably get a better price by financing through the dealer. They often make money on the loan and there are sometimes rebates for financing through the manufacturer. Get the loan, but make sure there is no penalty for paying it off early or fees for getting the loan. When you get the first statement pay it off.
averageguy likes this.
blrmkrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: 5.7 Hemi
Originally Posted by 69GWC View Post
I had to finance my truck for 4 months to get the rebates so I could buy my truck for the price I did. Once the 4 months are up I will pay it off, but this was the first time I had run into this.
The dealer tells you that you need to finance it for X number of months, however, that's how many months they need you to make payments before they get the kickback from the finance company. Almost every one of my new vehicles I finance through the dealer for the added rebate then refinance through my credit union within a month or two. I've never been questioned.
baum likes this.
deerhunt799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 6.7
Originally Posted by hemipower95 2.0 View Post
If the vehicle is $35,000 and they give me $30,000 for my ram can you pay off the negative equity and pay the rest of the new vehicle in cash when all is said and done, taxes etc

Nah. Cash is worthless. Send it to me and I'll recycle it for you free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 Laramie
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by 00R/T View Post
Yes. Very true. I always finance through my credit union instead of the dealer, so I make it clear up front that I'm negotiating a cash price, not a financed one (to them, outside financing is the same as cash).
No offense to you but i laugh at this situation. Reason being is if a person has good credit an auto loan rate is negotiable at a dealer.

EX when i purchased my '13 camaro new from a dealer they asked me if i would finance through them. i said my CU can do 1.9 if you will beat it sure. guess what they did at 1.6. then to piss them off i paid it off in 4 months so they didnt get their kickback either.

Hell when i bought my current ram my finance manager had me at a 2.2% he called two banks with me in his office and got them to lower to 1.7%.

If a dealer get a kickback from a bank why do people care so much? they did the work to get you a loan so why shouldnt they get something for it. If you pay 1.9 from a dealer or 1.9 from a personal bank the payment is the same. With good credit loans most of the time dealers use small local CU's.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)

No offense to you but i laugh at this situation. Reason being is if a person has good credit an auto loan rate is negotiable at a dealer.

EX when i purchased my '13 camaro new from a dealer they asked me if i would finance through them. i said my CU can do 1.9 if you will beat it sure. guess what they did at 1.6. then to piss them off i paid it off in 4 months so they didnt get their kickback either.

Hell when i bought my current ram my finance manager had me at a 2.2% he called two banks with me in his office and got them to lower to 1.7%.

If a dealer get a kickback from a bank why do people care so much? they did the work to get you a loan so why shouldnt they get something for it. If you pay 1.9 from a dealer or 1.9 from a personal bank the payment is the same. With good credit loans most of the time dealers use small local CU's.
I have no problems with a dealer getting a kickback, assuming they offer the lowest rate. Bought a Subaru a couple years back, they offered 1.49 whereas my CU was 1.75 so Subaru (Chase) Finance got the loan. When I bought my Ram, my CU was 3% lower than through the dealer. That's when I refi and could care less if the dealer gets their kickback.
deerhunt799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Yes, you can do that as long as the deal and amount paid clears both vehicles with nothing left owing.

I did that on my 300 when I bought it. Dealers might not like it as they count on those financing contracts.

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016 Ram Express QC Heavy Half
Engine: 5.7 Hemi, 8sp
Originally Posted by deerhunt799 View Post
The dealer tells you that you need to finance it for X number of months, however, that's how many months they need you to make payments before they get the kickback from the finance company. Almost every one of my new vehicles I finance through the dealer for the added rebate then refinance through my credit union within a month or two. I've never been questioned.
Well that could be but they told me it was how I was able to get my truck for 27k if not I lost the rebate.
It fine either way 4 months of interest is not that much in the grand sceem of things.

Drogon, 2016 1500 Delmonico Red Express QC 4x4, Hemi 5.7 , 8sp, Tinted windows ,Carven Progressive, Bilsteins at 2.8 in the front TTC-1211s , Bilstein shocks with 1" spacers , Husky liners, ATC- LES Topper .
2016 Harley Davidson Low Rider.
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

No offense but that's just as ignorant. Cars are not investments lol, if you paid it off in 4 'moths , you still overpaid. Why didn't you just pay cash if you had hr cash.

Your logic is having good credit gets you a negotiating rate. Why pay ANYTHING if you don't have to. Its all about preference, I'd rather be debt free and cash poor than heavy in debt and more cash.
MANual_puller likes this.
yillbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 5.7
Originally Posted by yillbs View Post
No offense but that's just as ignorant. Cars are not investments lol, if you paid it off in 4 'moths , you still overpaid. Why didn't you just pay cash if you had hr cash.

Your logic is having good credit gets you a negotiating rate. Why pay ANYTHING if you don't have to. Its all about preference, I'd rather be debt free and cash poor than heavy in debt and more cash.
That's why I asked if I can pay off in cash, no more payments, although my truck lost $10k in value, that hurts
hemipower95 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote